Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian #13 / 49

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nightfish, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Guardian #13 / 49

Oops I did it again... :D Well, here's another fishy guardian, and another one I'm very happy with because he turned out just great, despite him being my go at this build. Presenting Minsc, the frenzy barb.

As usual I've taken pictures for you to look at rather than taking ages to write everything out. So, looky here:

Status Screen:
    [​IMG]

Skill Tabs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Collage of Inventory & Items
    [​IMG]

Mr. Might Merc
    [​IMG]

So, now for some ranting. Skills first:

As you see I maxed frenzy and sword mastery and none of the synergies. Why? Well, frenzy gives IAS as well as damage and AR so that's a no brainer. Sword mastery gives damage and AR as well as critical strike - which I didn't really need due to about 50% deadly strike on my other gear. Still I chose sword mastery since I needed the AR boost. I chose not to max synergies because I already had plenty of skill ED, especially vs undead and demons so another 160% for 20 points wouldn't have done much. The rest is pretty much elementary, battle orders helps me stay alive, shout did that too but only to a very minor extent due to my low defence armour. (shaftstop) I mainly maxed that because I didn't need anything else.

The one point wonders I used on this build deserve mentioning, too. I got Berserk just before I entered the chaos sanctuary in hell and it proved helpful there. (was zerking with a Ribcracker there, just fyi ;)) Leap attack helped me hop around from act 3 hell onwards. And saved my ass at least once when I got stuck in a very huge pile of extra fast, cursed, fanatatic monsters. But the title of best skill evar goes to HOWL. Yes, howl. People really underestimate this. Whenever I met 3 or more boss packs I'd just send the minions scrambling and would pick appart the remaining bosses with ease, even when they had all the damage enhancing mods and overlapping auras you can think of.

Now the Itamz:

As you can see I used somewhat uncommon weapons, 2 Upgraded Vile Husks. Why? Well, for one the damage is decent for a frenzy weapon but that's not the main thing. The 6% ctc Amp Damage go off pretty often and that alone would probably be enough for me to pick this but the main thing I was after was the ED and AR vs undead. It's 630% ED at level 83 which about doubles my damage (calcs later on ;)) and Minsc was really ripping through the unliving like nobody's buisness.

The rest of the gear is pretty obvious, Gore Rider & Highlords for Deadly Strike, Laying of Hands for IAS and ED vs Demons, yada yada, you all know what these things do.

On switch I had ondal's wisdom, which was helpful for casting warcries and for howling stuff away. Also it boosted my defence up to about 10k which was nice when swamped and trying to howl my way out I guess. In the cube I had good old demon limb which brought my AR to about 10k.

Teh Damage:

So, let's take a quick peek at damage. My gear got me to the second to last BP, so he was swining at 5.5 frames, which equals 4.5 attacks per second. The LCS says it's about 734-2608, subtract the 250 poison which do nothing and you end up with a damage per attack of (just a rough estimate ;)):

vs normal enemies:
    500-2350 physical damage
    1000-4700 physical damage with deadly strike or amp damage
    2000-9400 physical damage with deadly strike and amp damage

vs Demons:
    650-3100 physical damage
    1300-6200 physical damage with deadly strike or amp damage
    2600-12400 physical damage with deadly strike and amp damage

vs Undead:
    570-3700 physical damage
    1140-7400 physical damage with deadly strike or amp damage
    2280-15800 physical damage with deadly strike and amp damage

Player Settings:
    Unlike all of my previous chars, this one went at p4 in hell the entire way up to the ancients. That allowed Amp damage to trigger more often and killing was still pretty fast. Especially with my IAS loaded mercenary who kept blasting static field at stuff. Oh yeah, a quick note on Mr. Merc: He died only a single time in hell: To iron maiden in the chaos sanctuary. Aside from that he never fell even though I wasn't baby sitting him too much.

Tactics:
    As with all my chars, he ran where he wanted to go. And he ran *fast*. Very fast. o_O Gotta love frenzy speed. But of course there comes a time when a man has to stop running (because he's out of stamina)... Uh, no, wait, that wasn't right... ah yes, because he needs to fight. That's it. So, when fighting my usual strat was to hold down the RMB until stuff was dead. That worked just beautifully, even if it wasn't the most sophisticated playing style in the world. When the going got tough (i.e. 3+ boss packs converged on us) Minsc and I needed a better plan, though. Basically there's 3 options there:

1) Howl to get rid of a few monsters and just slice and dice the rest.
    2) Leap attack next to my merc and do the back-to-back thing, very heroic
    3) Leap attack into a narrow space and revert to cornered rat fighting style.

What we didn't do was run away. That's kinda not minsc's style. :)

Okay, time for final thoughts, this is becoming long again. Uh... Build was fun, no real danger anywhere, except for a few times when I got sloppy. There's not really much he had problems with. Mana burn is countered with blue pots, PIs are broken or zerked, being swarmed is countered with howl or leap attack, iron maiden is no problem when zerking. (it was fun in NM, though, I didn't have zerk yet and the passion weapon I wanted to make needed 10 more levels, I ended up frenzing vs OKs there. That was nerve wracking... Nearly killed myself once there.)

He is a pretty lucky bastard, though. Found me my third HC mara's, a baranar's star and an ist from the hellforge. And about 10 other uniques in hell that I didn't really need. Overall this was a moderately easy char, if pretty gear dependant. I think I managed to give him the "NF twist" which might make him stand out a little among your average frenzy barbs. Now he'll probably retire and go open a hamster farm or something.

Well, that concludes guardian #13, not sure who's up next for #14, I'm kinda burned out right now and I lack the items to play some of the more fun builds I still have in mind. Guess I'll have to MF some...

Thanks for reading people. If there's any questions, just asks ;)

2. XtasyGrizzly

XtasyGrizzly IncGamers Member

Congratz , really nice work! :thumbsup:

3. seige

seige IncGamers Member

OMG. I'm having trouble making one and you have 13 :D
    Congrats. I can't wait for no 14:

- Jas :howdy:

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

13, unlucky for some, but it appears not for you. :thumbsup:
    As usualyou use non-standard equipment and make use of crowd control very well, wouldnt have thought of that much myself.
    Congrats!

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Guardian #13 and 5000 posts...Cool! Unusual weapon choice, I must say. Would never have thought of using those swords, but looks like they worked nicely, good job.

Minsc, isnt' that from Baldur's Gate 2??

6. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Feels like yesterday I was guessing what kind of weapons you where going to use on this build :p and all of a sudden you have already made him a Guardian! Nice work there Nightfish. Only 36 to go! Nice equipment btw. Pretty much the same I go to except the rare dual leech ring (nice!) and the weapons.

:thumbsup:

7. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg IncGamers Member

13 is actually seen as a lucky number in the Kaballah iirc.

Congratulations Fishy, and this comes barely after your previous one, what's next? How many have already started their journey?

8. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

"Evil, meet sword. Sword, MEET EVIL!!"
    "Swords, not words!"
    And of course... "Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!! RAAAARGH!"
    God, I love Minsc. :p

Congrats on another Guardian! You're just a D2 machine these days ;)

9. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

congrats fishy intresting choice of weapons, few would have looked twise at those swords:)

10. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Congratulations on the 13th Guardian!! :clap:

11. Nightfish

Thanks people! I'm flattered by teh interest you take in my small quest thingy. :D

Chimaira: Oh yes, that was excellent timing, no? I hadn't even noticed, to be honest. :teeth:

Nacaa: Yeah, that was quick. :) Had a couple hours of unexpected spare time so I hauled him through hell yesterday and this morning.

Lister: The chars that are underway are pretty much the same as in the last thread: Avenger, Werebear, Hammerdin-Hybrid, Blizzardsorc and a WWbarb. I'm not really feeling any of these right now but I lack a few items for the other chars I wanna play... So, not sure who's next.

Wonko: Well, machine sounds a lot better than lunatic, mainic, insane fish, freak or whatever else I've been called lately. :teeth:

12. MFMOFO

MFMOFO Banned

Congrats :clap:

13. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Congratz Fishy :clap:

Interesting weaponchoice :thumbsup:

DX

14. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Good job :) looks like a fun build..

Did maxed shout work out? I know you tipped it shortely but why not put 10 in shout and 10 in double swing? DS works like a charm early on.. well you know all the benefits.

EDIT: at NF below: yeah then I guess it's a good choice :) It's a god damn sweet ring you're wearing there.... (btw)

15. Nightfish

Neither did / would have done much for me.

I don't need DS early on since I can either use my ravenclaw or just get to level 24 using regular attacks. If you look at all the skill ED I already have you can see that 80% ED from a synergy are just meaningless (rough numbers from here):
    - 200% - 200 Str
    - 250% - Frenzy
    - 150% - Sword Mastery
    - 200% - Might

That's already close to 800%, with another 350% vs demons and 630% vs Undead. Synergies just don't do anything for me here.

In the end shout was mainly for the benefit of my merc, and because I really didn't have anything else to do with the points. It also increased BO's duration which is nice for lazy people like myself. As you might have seen he didn't wear his usual shaftstop but a black hades with 45% IAS for an extremely fast attack. That left him short on the DR departement, though. Shout got him to 10k def to compensate that at least somewhat.

16. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Nice work NF!

Frenzy barbs are one of my favorite characters. I must admit that I hadn't thought to use those swords. Did you choose not to max War Cry for any particular reason? It seems that some killer crowd control would have been better than Shout.

17. Nightfish

Thanks mate, I liked this one, too. :) I hadn't considered them until my golemmancer found one of those and I saw the huuuuge ED vs UD and the amp damage and that little lightbulb showed up above my head.

Of course from a certain pov it seems pretty wasteful to burn 2 Puls for just one char but hey, I like it so why not? Personally I'm more interested in the various characters you can create than in the loot you can amass. I've got some chars that are spenders (WWsin, Golemmancer, this dude) and some that are providers (fishymancer, meteorbsorc, etc) so it all works out in the end.

Yeah, lots of reasons. For one I wasn't sure if I wasn't going for a high def armour in the end so I wanted the option of using shout. Then I blazed across the screen way too fast to use warcry efficiently. That's more suited to the pondersome pace of a berserker. And of course there's the fact that when attacking at 5.5 frames you hit a lot of things and hit-recovery is almost as good as stun. Finally there's always the "I didn't die so I'm right" argument to fall back on... :teeth:

Sint: Ya, the ring ain't bad. :) I think I might have gotten it from ormus, I know I got a few dual leech rings from him in the course of playing my 13 chars. Either that or it's from meph.

18. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Also known as, "My name is Nightfish and I'm a big LAZY poophead. So I took screenshots instead of typing everything out very pretty-like for you."

But GG anyways, Fishy. Even if you were lazy on teh writeup. ;P

19. Nightfish

Well, what can I say, I stole that idea from teh master of lazyness. I think you saw him recently. (mirror, hint hint ;))

(on a sidenote, that inventory collage took way longer to copy paste this way than to just copy / paste from atma)

Thanks dashy ;) I think you're one of the few people who'll have seen all of my guardians in the end. For whatever that's worth :D

20. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Well that's because I still think you're insane.

And I figure somebody has to keep an eye on you to make sure you don't go off the deep end completely. ;)