Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian #1: CalvinAndHobbes

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hp_Sauce, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Guardian #1: CalvinAndHobbes

Well folks, dispite school, girlfriend, and other such nasties I've managed to complete my first SP Guardian. He would be a summoning Necromancer of course. I may post some screen shots at the end but for those of you who are anti-screenshot here he is in a nut shell. Nothing special really.

Helm: Tarnhelm
    Weapon: +3 RS, +1 Amp Wand (0 of 1 Sockets used)
    Shield: Rare Head: +2 All Skills, +5 Resist All, +33 Life (1 PDiamond) - (This was a +2 RS 2x Pdiamond Head until Act 5 Hell)
    Armour: Smoke Cuirass
    Gloves: Rare Gauntlets with FR & LR, etc.
    Boots: Rare Chain Boots with LR & FR, etc.
    Belt: Goldwrap
    Ammy: Rare with +2 Summoing 10%FCR & LR
    Ring1: Rare with LR & CR, etc.
    Ring2: Rare with +24 Mana & +7 Resist all, etc.

Weapon Switch:
    None

Lvl: 82
    Stats:
    Life: 767
    Mana: 231

Str: 100
    Dex: 152
    Vit: 225
    Energy: Base

Resists: 75/60/75/30

Skills: (Base/After +skills)
    SM - 20/26
    RS - 20/29
    Clay Golem - 2/8
    Golem Mastery - 2/8
    Summon Resist - 2/8
    Mages - 1/7
    Revives - 2/8
    Pre-req - 2 (Blood, & Iron Golem)

CE - 20/23
    Bone Armour - 1/4

Amp - 6/9
    Attract - 6/9
    All Others - 1/4

Might Merc: Lvl 82
    Life: 1729
    Crappy rare Helm
    Duriels Shell (Though it was Crappy rare armour til WSK2 where I found the Duriels)
    Hone Sundan (Shael, Shael, Amn)

He was fairly fun to play and fairly solid, a typical summoner. He used the same Wand and Head that I found in act 1 Norm until I found that nice rare Head in the Ancients Way Hell, the +2 all skills on it bumped up my CE and Amp radiuses enough, and improved my skellies just enough that the game was pretty much a walk in the park after that.

Most of the Charms he's using were found by him with the exception of one resist all LC that I muled on. The Tarnhelm, Goldwrap, and Smoke were also muled on. I made the Smoke for him in late NM after he found the Lum and I realize my resists were terrable and I wasn't going to find any +skills armour with resists anytime soon.

Being my first SP Guardian I found a lot of Whites and Socketables that I can make use of in the future. Notable finds were a Gheeds in the Hell CS, Baraners Star which dropped somewhere in late Hell (and its now been given to Skunk for my entrance into the Ultimate Tournament, its drop was excellent timing!), and the Duriels Shell from WSK 2 Hell which my merc is now wearing. Also I got a Lum in the NM Plains of Dispair and an Um from the NM Hell Forge. The Hell Hell Forge netted me an Io which I was rather unimpressed with. Oh! and a Summoning Grand Charm which I found in Act 1 Hell. I could hardly believe my luck when I found it, its so rare that you find a skiller at all, and then when its actually one that that character needs, well its a rare time.

There were a few Stone Skin, PI's that caused a slow down but nothing serious. The worst was one in the maggot layer that I had to lure out into an open room because my merc simply couldn't damage him fast enough vs. his regeneration. The Ancients were a trio of wusses, their mods were some of the easier ones I've seen and I only lost a few skeletons.

A few NDE's in Norm vs. Diablo, and a few in NM because I was pushing but nothing notable really. The only one that actually scared the crap out of me was in Act 3 Hell. The pack that appears after you set fire to the Gidbin thingy was the cause. My minions engaged and I started CE'ing but I was standing slightly too close when the last guy poped. He was obviously cold enchanted, and I'd love to know what else he was enchanted with because when his cold 'pop' hit me it took me from full health to nothing, and I do mean nothing. I couldn't see anymore red in my orb, I drank a Juv right away so I didn't have time to check the actualy numbers but I'm guessing I had something like 1-20 health left.

For some reason when I play summoners I always insist uppon keeping the 3 or so Mages summoned even though I only put a point there to get to Revives. I don't know why and I wish I could stop, they drive me up the wall! Always stopping in doorways and blocking the rest of my army.

I can't really think of much else to tell you. I'm not sure if I will play him much now that he's done. Usualy once I finish a summoner he's done. I wont strip him for a while though just incase.

I've got a couple Sorc's and a Thrower Barb on the go so I might try one of them next, or maybe not. I have no idea!

Thanks for reading, sorry for rambeling.

Cheers
    -hps

p.s. Going to bed has out weighed uploading screen shots.

2. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Hp_Sauce, why not a G for your merc helm?

Ok, i gonna deliver my salute to you and your guardian, congrats!

3. Hp_Sauce

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. I'm not sure what a G is, though its late and maybe I will figure it out in the morning!

Oh, incase anyone was wondering the reason for so much Dex is simply because I didn't think I needed the life and I was hoping to find a shield with decent blocking. However I didn't find it, although I think my Chance to Block is 28% which is better then the 4 or 5 that it would probably have been.

-hps

4. Suiling

Suiling Banned

G for Guillaume's Face

Er, planned to bring him to lv99?

5. Hp_Sauce

Ah, or course! Silly me. Thats an easy one to answer, I have not found a Guillaume's Face yet so I can't give it to my merc...

And no, I have no plans of bringing him to level 99 ever, I don't think I could stand walking down to the Throne Room ~5000 times.

-hps

6. Suiling

Suiling Banned

It's all about determination, patience and interest :wink3:
    Why not Trang-Ouls?

7. IronCrown

IronCrown IncGamers Member

Congratulations with the guardian.

I always have huge problems pushing a summoner through A2 hell, it always seem to take forever.

Nice resists as well, and yeah, it's difficult not summoning those little mages who ALWAYS seem to be more trouble than worth.

Again well done.

8. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Guard, Hp_Sauce!
    So how are you enjoying HC compared to SC?

9. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

EDIT: Err. rofl, thanks Suiling. It didn't show up for me!
    EDIT2: I could've sworn I clicked submit, but when I clicked refresh and back it didn't show up.

10. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Er, Drystan, squid attack i supposed?

11. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Guardian!

I suppose you could try running the Pits with him, don't know how safe you would be though with those nasty archers :wink3:

12. Hp_Sauce

Thanks guys!

Again, I don't have Trangs yet. I just made the switch from B.net to SP so I'm relativly untwinked. I do have a pair of Trang's gloves which I considered but the resists on my rare gloves > Trangs in the end.

Erm... I've been playing HC for a couple years now, its SP thats new to me. However I can still answer your question HC is 23784923 times better then SC.

Indeed! Archers were deffinetly a pain. There was 2 particularly nasty Archer packs in the Frozen Tundra that I encounters. The trouble was that my minions were quite happy to attack the 3 guard towers that were near by while the Archers picked off my Skeletons. I considered running ahead up the screen to lure my minions away from the guard towers and get them to switch their attention to the Archers but decided that I would be alone inbetween the 2 packs for far too long before my minions noticed I had moved and decided to follow. In the end I had to hide behind a wall and wait for my minions to finish off the guard towers before they noticed the Archers.

So yeah, at least the Pits wouldn't have guard towers to muck everything up!

-hps

13. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

They (mages) have a bad rep in my opinion. I also only put one point in mages on my summoner, which was boosted to about level three by +skills. But since they stay away from the front lines they're quite durable when needed.

The incident I'm thinking of came in the Chaos Sanctuary (and this was a classic character so I was getting quite excited by this point), where I found a Venom Lord boss with something like a Stoneskin mod or something. The damage done by my skeletons was pitiful and he was both tearing through my minions and regenerating their damage too fast for them to take him down. So I went off and raised some mages, making sure I had at least one poison and one (preferably two) cold mages. When I returned to the Sanctuary, the poison stopped his regeneration, and the cold mage slowed him down enormously. I was just able to scrape past that fight and take him down.

...Then about five minutes later found another such boss. They were probably harder enemies than Diablo for that character!

Congratulations anyway on finishing SP. What's the plan for the next character, or do you want/need some inspiration? :tongue:

14. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

You're so close to doing it untwinked... it's a pity you felt you needed to twink on the stuff you did. You probably would have been fine going with stuff you found.

15. Hp_Sauce

My goal wasn't to do it untwinked though. My goal was to create my first SP Guardian. :thumbsup:
    I'll do it again untwinked in a year or so when I get bored maybe?

-hps

16. Ikeren

Ikeren IncGamers Member

I have respect for the fact you named your character Calvin and Hobbes. They rock so much.

17. Samsung

Samsung Banned

Way to go HP! It's nice to see that one of my online friends is taking an interest in singleplayer with me. It's also nice that your sticking to HC. If I can get another Diablo II box set i'll be joining you shortly, but the local Wal-Mart is out of stock. Nice job on the summoner, I think i'm going to re-create my summoner when I get the disks again. Peace!

18. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Oops. I remembered you swapped something, but thought it was SC->HC. :smiley:

19. Fists of Legend

Fists of Legend IncGamers Member

Congrats!

What do you play to try to bring to guardian status next?

20. Hp_Sauce

Well, I've joined the Glass Canon Tournament, and I've also joined Skunks Ultimate Tournament so I will be spending a bit of time on them. However I doubt I will be able to Guardian my TehDexAZon, and Skunks tourny is an act a week so as an aside project I might try and bring my Blizzballer from Act 1 Hell to Guardian.

Also I have a Rangadin (Rouges bow with Holy Shock and Holy Freeze) that I'm hoping to work on a bit also!

-hps