Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

guantanamo is nice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dantose, Feb 13, 2004.

1. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

guantanamo is nice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/02/08/wguan08.xml

Apparently, some kids were released recently and said conditions were pretty good there

"In a first interview with any of the three juveniles held by the US at Guantanamo Bay base, Mohammed said: "They gave me a good time in Cuba. They were very nice to me, giving me English lessons."
    "At first I was unhappy . . . For two or three days [after I arrived in Cuba] I was confused but later the Americans were so nice to me. They gave me good food with fruit and water for ablutions and prayer," he said yesterday in Naw Zad, a remote market town in southern Afghanistan close to his home village and 300 miles south-west of Kabul, the capital.
    "They even took photographs of us all together before we left," he said. Mohammed, however, said he would have to disappoint his captors by not returning to his studies. "I am too poor for that. I will have to look for work," he said.
    "They treated us well. We had enough food. I didn't mind [being detained] because they took my old clothes and gave me new clothes," said the farmer, who was partially deaf."

It isn't a mainstream source so take it as you will whole article is linked above

2. toader

toader Banned

Well, good for that little boy.

His momma must have told him to make the best of every situation

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Considering all the stories that I've heard saying the exact opposite, I greet that story with skepticism. I'm not saying it can't be true... but I'm very suspicious. Unfortunately there's no way to know the whole truth.

4. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

Yes it is.

The Telegraph is a 'Broadsheet' (quality) newspaper.

There are 4 Broadsheets in the UK. The Times, The Telegraph, The Independant and The Financial Times. They have a lot more space and have a lot more editorial features. They are aimed at ABC1 who have at least attended university.

They are not tits and arse newpapers like The Sun, and they are not known as a right or left wing newspaper.

If they interviewed this lad, then I strongly susupect that they sent, or already have, a journalist 'on the ground' in Afghanistan.

edit: I just re-read and see that the stroy was filed on Feb 8. Maybe they wanted to check the story, as some of the boys comments are disputed by the US authorities. (see last para.)

5. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

The treatment of juveniles that were held at Gitmo Bay is secondary to the real issue here. These prisoners and are being held without charges, without access to a lawyer; and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/13/politics/13GITM.html?hp

America purportedly stands for freedom and the rights of individuals. Yet by our actions here, we are denying these people what should be the basic rights of all people. The right of Habeus Corpus (to know what charges you are being held on). Even worse, these people are denied even rights that are far more ancient than our own Constitution --> rights defined by the Magna Carta ---> the right to trial.

Tell me, what example are we setting here for the world to see? Do we stand for freedom and justice for all or is this reserved only for the privileged?

6. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

The privlileged of course. But I was under the impression that as long as these guys at Git'mo are called 'detainees', we can pretty much do whatever we want. By we, I mean the U.S. government, not you and me. Take that Geneva Convention!

And they're totally giving us good information too, because it's been, what? close to 2 years and Afghanistan is totally safe; not a Taliban, Al Qaeda, or despotic warlord in sight*. Sure, we've hurt these groups a bit, but all we've really done is manage to get rid of the ones stupid enough to get caught.

* Eyes must be closed to take advantage of special offer.

7. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Why is it when something positive is published by a reliable source, some people keep banging the negative drum?

"War is dangerous to children and other living things." In short, war is ugly. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

It is obvious to me that some things should not be on the evening news. "You can't handle the truth!"

NB :)

8. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

A right and 5,000 wrongs don't make a right, man. Should we ignore the fact that we're kidnapping and detaining indefinitely men who are charged with no crimes because three kids were kidnapped and detained without charge, got some clothes, english lessons, and enough food that they didn't die?

9. Any1

Any1 Banned

The point is not that American soldiers are nice guys and were kind to a kid far away from home. I would expect no less from any human being. The point is that you can't take children off the street, due to mere speculation, and keep them shut off from their families for 14 months:

'While Mohammed praised the American soldiers who watched over him, he criticised the US authorities for failing to contact his parents for 10 months to let them know that he was alive. "They stole 14 months of my life, and my family's life. I was entirely innocent: just a poor boy looking for work," he said.'

If it wasn't for the persistence of the Red Cross, the kid would still be sitting in a cell in Cuba.

Let's not pat ourselves on the back quite yet.