Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grudge 2 (**SPOILERS**)/What's happened to movies these days? der=

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MadMachine, Oct 15, 2006.

1. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

Grudge 2 (**SPOILERS**)/What's happened to movies these days?

I knew I should have figured something was up when I went into the theatre with my wife and noticed that the seats were less than 30% filled. It's the second day of the performance, too.

First off, same old scares, new cruddy package.

The Japanese version of the Grudge 2 was stupider, I have to admit, but this one took the cake in gratuitous partial nudity. I think they stuck that in to shore up an otherwise awful film.

Personally, I don't find viewing high school students as arousing as most men, even when the actresses have been out of HS for nearly ten or so years.

Oh, here's the spoiler. I busted a nut when Amber Tamblyn was talking with Edison Chen outside the hospital and Sarah Michelle Gellar landed SPLAT on the driveway in front of them. Not much of a spoiler, because anyone who has two brain cells to rub together would've seen it coming.

The better parts of the movie - The Ghost Rider preview was something to see, and apparently Justin Timberlake is starring in a new movie. Tourista was also in the previews. Timberlake at least has more T&A in his flick than his ex's Crossroads. I still won't waste my money.

Tourista - I'm ambivalent. T&A vs. horrible cutting chopping gorefest.

Which comes to my question that I've asked on this forum before - what the hell is happening to movies these days? It's either T&A, gore or T&A and gore. If I wanted to see p0rn or near p0rn, I'd download it. It's cheaper. Hollywood is just pushing the envelope far too much - movie-going isn't enjoyable anymore.

2. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

Million Dollar baby was a good movie experience, so there's hope yet, it's just in old actors-turned-directors

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Movies are bad? Welcome to the last ten years or so.

But really, if you went to see the Grudge 2 what did you expect? The original was better than I was expecting, but hardly sequel-worthy (few movies are sequel-worthy, and of those that are most are the sort that shouldn't have sequels made anyway).

I've seen maybe one or two movies in the cinemas per year for the last ten years or more. And few of those were movies I actually thought would be good - I went to see the Star Wars prequels because I just had to see how much worse they could get, and I don't know why I bothered with the Harry Potters and the Matrix sequels. Everything is either crap or a remake of something good - which is even more crap.

4. MadMachine

Right. Clint is directing a movie coming out about the Battle at Iwo Jima. It'll be American flag waving and hulabaloo, but it looks good just the same.

@dondrei: Well, honestly, I went in thinking "How can the American film industry **** up an awful Japanese movie?" That and The Guardian didn't start for another hour and a half.

5. The Future now

The Future now Banned

I like a bit of pr0n in movies that I see at the theater--it gets an "R" rating which keeps most of the annoying brats out.

6. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

There are about 6 movies in theaters now/or are coming out soon that I have on my "to see" list. Of those, i'm hoping half will actually have been worth spending the money one. We'll see.

7. MadMachine

Which ones?

8. Stompwampa

The Departed
    Man of the Year
    Employee of the Month
    The Prestige
    The Black Dhalia
    Hollywoodland

9. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

The Departed is getting really good reviews. I might want to see that in a theater.

Man of the Year I have to see, just because Lewis Black is in it, but I'll wait for the DVD release and rent it, I think. :laugh:

10. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I liked Ju-On 2 (the Japanese version). I didn't like The Grudge much at all so I will pass on this one.

11. Stompwampa

I thought that the Japanese version of The Ring (Ringu) was better than the Amercian version by a long shot.

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Couldn't disagree more.

13. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

i have to agree with stompa on the japanese ring version, the tv part at the end was done much slower and better

14. Stompwampa

I did like the supernatural twists that were put into the American version...but I still thought the Japanese version was made better. Though I thought the American version was scarier, but that's only because I saw it before I saw Ringu.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I can't remember there being much difference in that scene (it was a while ago), but that wasn't really a high point of the movie for me, I liked the more in-depth plot of the American version. All the little things ended up meaning something, and it made sense - I preferred that.

I saw the American first too. Didn't really notice much difference in construction, but also I liked the performances in the American one better - I thought they suited the mood more than the more reserved performances in the Japanese.

I don't usually like remakes, this was one exception though.

16. Stompwampa

Ocean's 11 was a great remake.

17. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Employee of the Month was pretty funny, especially if you like Dane Cook.

And I know this goes without saying, but don't expect a tour de force performance from Simpson.

18. The Future now

The Future now Banned

I saw the illusionist last night, great movie!

19. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I actually had heard Employee of the Month was pretty bad, but I didnt see it, so I guess theres not a lot of credibility behind that :wink3:

From what I've seen in previews, The Prestige looks pretty decent. Probably nothing for the ages, but worth the $6 to see.

-Matt

20. Stompwampa

Any movie with Hugo Jackman in it is worth seeing.