Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grrr... Stupid Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by SHouston, Apr 5, 2004.

1. SHouston

SHouston IncGamers Member

Grrr... Stupid Cable Modem

About a month ago I moved to a new house. At my old house I had DSL and life was good:thumbsup: At my new house DSL is unavailable but cable modem was. So I went to the Cable Company and asked about it and told him I was used to DSL. He said no problem and Cable was the same if not better than DSL. WRONG!! Since I've had the Cable Modem I havent played a decent game Of Diablo. I ALWAYS lag, get constantly dropped from games, and I wont even go into the load time. So did the cable guy lie to me or am I doomed to this life till DSL is available? Maybe my settings are wrong or something. I can cruise the internet just fine, its just my gaming that's suffering.

Yes, this is a rant, I just had to get it out:rant:

2. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

i have a similar problem. i had 56k for a while but then we moved and i was like hey lets get cable! make the game go faster. say on better NOPE!! i get kicked off so much. the game isnt even fast. i end up getting on dialup to play diablo. thats just sad.

3. I-bring-realm-down

I-bring-realm-down Banned

Obviously you are noobs.

4. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Actually some cable modem providers use a satellite back bone, and this brings 1.5 second latency. Making online games all but unplayable.

5. SHouston

And having Cable Modem makes me a n00b how?? Please explain this to me I think I missed something. I've been playing this game for over four years and now that Ive switched my internet connection I'm a n00b, interesting.

6. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

What?! Where did that statement come from?

I've had cable for a little more than a year (Optimum Online) and it works fine for me. It doesn't work a lot better than my 56k did with Diablo 2, but that's just because D2 is such an old game and probably doesn't support high speeds or something. It's certainly better than it was with 56k, though. I don't know what the problem with your cable connection is, but it's probably your zone or the provider itself. I suggest you call your cable connection provider and tell them about the lag.

7. SHouston

I've been considering doing this. I pay $49.99 a month for the internet. If thats the best they can provide I'll consider going to Dial-Up for less than half the cost.

8. jizus

jizus IncGamers Member

try to ping battle.net (i'm too lazy to explain how) or try this link:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

try the tweak test and look at the third part about ICMP, it's not nearly as accurate as pinging bnet but it's informative nonetheless

here's my results if your interested

http://ttester.broadbandreports.com/tweak/block:37f0090?service=dsl&speed=1500&os=winXP&via=raspppoe

edit: and btw, the lower yoru ping the better. i think when you start getting somewhere over like 150 pings, that's where things start to look bad for online gaming ... but it's been a LONG time since was into this kind of stuff so take my advice with a grain of salt

9. muteownz

perfect example of an idiot calling people noobs.

put down the nachos man. its ok.

10. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Try this... while in a game, type in "/fps" (without the quotes). It tells you the ping on the top of your screen now. If it's somewhere over 100 or 150, that's bad. Mine is usually under 50.

11. mashimaroinc

mashimaroinc IncGamers Member

i use cox cable, and its been working perfectly for me, except in the past 4 days

they updated their servers or something, and it wasnt compatible with the toshiba modems that most people had.... so what happened was that all the toshiba modems literally died, and you had to go pick up a free, new, replacement modem at the herndon place (but, hey, it was the newest, best, free toshiba modem out, :))

they didnt notify us til the 3rd day, but, overall, cable runs well for me

12. SHouston

13. muteownz

my comp is so crappy the test didnt even finish. i kept getting errors :X

14. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

I'm not an expert in this stuff or anything, but considering the symbols in the Recomendation Key and the symbols above it, I'd say it's not too good. :scratch:

15. uberjolt

uberjolt IncGamers Member

i'm having the same problem as someone else who posted here... about 4 days ago my cable stopped being godly and started being worse than 56k! It's odd that I am able to surf the internet perfectly fine, but d2 is impossible. I attempt to click something (item, wp, shrine, anything) and it registers the click about 2 seconds later. The odd thing is that cable was working fine on d2 untill about a week ago as I said.

16. jizus

jizus IncGamers Member

yea the fact that your unpingable might mean your behind a router or firewall most likely, you got any of those or forget to disable any?

at any rate, i'd imagine the ping wouldn't have been too great anyway. suggestive mentioned some cable providers using satellite as a backbone and your results mentioning "2+ second stall detected" may possibly help that theory ... alot. that being said, your current connection seems horrible for online gameplay. what's your cable company? might wanna call tech support and ask them about your little problem, if they indeed are on satellite and your only real reason to have cable is to play D2 online you might wanna go back to dialup

17. Hoyunah

Hoyunah IncGamers Member

who is your cable provider?
    Maybe you got a cheaper one with worse quality.

18. Celester

Celester IncGamers Member

Good question. I'd like to know who as well. I'm sure there's a few people who do tech support for Cable ISPs on here.

I can't be the only one.

19. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Well I'm a technician for a college network and Usufruct works for a dial-up and dsl isp...so that's pretty close.

20. SHouston

Its with CableRocket Internet through ComCast Cable.