Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grizzly or 'Geddon for a Mauler?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by WrathTalon, Oct 24, 2006.

1. WrathTalon

WrathTalon Diabloii.Net Member

Grizzly or 'Geddon for a Mauler?

I'm thinking of making a Shockwave-Mauler (PvM, HardCore, small parties): thought it might make for a relatively safe build for HardCore. (Yay Shockwave!)

I can't seem to find any guides for a Mauler...

I figure the basic skills are pretty straightforward: Lycanthropy, Werebear, Maul, Shockwave.

But I'm wondering about supplementing, either with summons (Grizzly?) or maybe even with Armageddon. Figured having a summons around might take a little heat off me (a real plus in HardCore). But will this divert too many points from my own main skills? And is an unsynergized Armageddon even worth it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj Diabloii.Net Member

Unsynergised 'geddon is horribly weak. It may look nice damage-wise, but it's just too random to count on to hurt your enemies. A grizzly is nice to knock around your enemies and act as an extra target to soak up the damage.

Shockwave deserves just 1 point, with any +skill items you have to boost it.
    I'd max out Lycan, Oak, Maul, with rest of points going to max Werebear (to maximize damage and killing speed) and finish off with Grizzly. You'll definately want max block, and plenty of FHR to make up for the WB's slow hit recovery.

3. Aldarad

Aldarad Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry for hijaking this thread but I am playing a werebear rigth now. At lvl 36 I got bored by the "run-around-chasing-monsters" and started investing in the Elemental skills aiming at less then fully synergised but still strong Armageddon.

My plan is to not spend another point at my werebear skills or my 1-point grizzly, realing on the +skill items to bost my fireclaws and having them and ,geddon nicely synergised . It felt like fun.

Are you saying I am wasting my time??

4. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

One thing to point out- Shockwave is bugged, and only stuns for about 40% as long as it says it stuns for. Take this into account when investing into Shockwave. I always overinvest because I don't care if an enemy is stunned for too long, but it sure does suck if an enemy isn't stunned long enough.

Also, as far as Geddon vs. Grizzly goes... 'Geddon looks pretty (both in-game and on the LCS), but so few balls will actually hit that I never even bother with it, even on Elemental druids. It's just too unreliable. I strongly suspect that, point-for-point, Grizzly will offer more killing power than Geddon (in addition to the extra security aspects).

Of course, Grizzly doesn't help you with immunes... but Armageddon is so random that it doesn't help you much, either.

5. mrfrost

mrfrost Diabloii.Net Member

SSoG, are you saying that ShockWave is bugged in 1.11? I didn't realize that. I haven't read [or more likely overlooked it probably] that. Thanx

6. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

It was bugged in 1.10, too. Nothing big, it's just that Shockwave only stuns for 40% as long as it says it stuns for (so a 10-second Shockwave really only lasts about 4 seconds). Still a top-notch skill, though, especially since the Stun isn't reduced by difficulty.