Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grizzly or Dire wolf

Discussion in 'Druid' started by achilles, Mar 5, 2004.

1. achilles

achilles IncGamers Member

Grizzly or Dire wolf

Hi everyone, before I ask my question I would like to say that this is a great forum and have learned allot from reading the various posts here.
    Ok, I am building a shape shifting(werebear)/summoning druid. My dilema is where to concertrare my points on dire wolf or grizzly?
    Here are my thoughts:

Wolves seem to be more aggresive when attacking, which I like, versus the grizzly which seems to wonder around not very interested in what is going on.
    Wolve salso run allot faster.

Wolves dont have as much life and don't do as much damage as the bear, but they attack on three fronts and thus occupy monsters more, but the bear lasts allot longer.

I find wolves are better for killing regular monsters, whereas grizzlys are better at fighting a sinle monster, like a boss.

I heard somewhere that if you use shockwave that the bear stun negates it, is this true?

As everyone knows points are precious and I am looking to make the best use of them. What are you thoghts on the subject? Tia.

:thumbsup:

2. 10 Speed

10 Speed IncGamers Member

Seems to me that points ought to go into both, giving you the option of using either. I'm working on a summoner druid, with HotW. Right now, I'm working towards level 30, putting a point in DW and HotW as I go. One point went into Oak Sage, one into Raven, 5 into Spirit Wolf. I got a wolf helm that provides 2 lycanthropy and a point of werewolf, so I've been using that and putting off the decision as to what to balance out the summons with. I also have a bunch of stat points saved up. I don't have oak sage, so some Vit will be needed. The tricky part is going to be having enough str/dex to use weapons and provide AR. I'm not really sure whether wolf or bear will be better.

3. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Welcome to the Druid Forum!!! :D :D :D

This is a tough question, and depends a lot on playstyle. You're right that Dire Wolves can be better against packs of monsters and Grizzly is good against Bosses.

However, Dire Wolves, when combined and Enraged, can do more damage overall and have more life overall than your single Grizzly. The catch is that they die faster individually, losing you benefit as each one falls.

So both are good in context. I would base your decision off of your Merc and your Sage. Oak Sage will go well with points in Grizzly, so you get life and damage, and vice versa.

Whoever told you stun would be negated was wrong. Things like that don't cancel each other out, they will just reset. Your Shockwave stun will have them standing there on a timer, then Grizzly hits them and the Shockwave stun stops timing because the Grizzly stun started timing instead. Get it?

Good luck!!

4. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Grizzly all the way.
    BTW didn't we calculate that grizzly damage is still higher then 3 dwolves damage?

5. 2JZ-GTTE

2JZ-GTTE IncGamers Member

If this is for PvM then I like the grizzly since it comes with so much life and you don't have to recast too often.

For PvP I prefer wolves, but its mostly effective when dueling against melee. The only reason I like using grizzly is because it looks awesome. :D

6. achilles

achilles IncGamers Member

Thanx for all the responses so far.

Proudfoot,thanx for the explanation as far as stun is concerned, i get it.

I don't use oak sage as I pereffer heart of wolverine, do you think that HoW goes better with DW or grizzly?

2JZ-GTTE, I was thinking more inline with PvM. Why do you preffer DW more for PvP? I would think that grizzly, with more life would be better, last longer.

7. 2JZ-GTTE

For PvP I meant spirit wolves. Against melee it causes a lot of distraction.

8. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

That's so stupid -_-
    Grizzy is the only thing that will survive or do any amount of damage.

9. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

To answer your question directed towards 2jZ, I'll quote you:

It works the same in PvP... Wolves have more chances to get more shots in on the opponent, allowing you easier access to them. (Whether it be Dire or Spirit)

DW goes better with HoW. They have nice damage, but a good ed% boost helps considerably... as does AR%. Extra life isn't the gratest since they already have a good deal from a %(Making Oak less important).

10. 2JZ-GTTE

I don't ever depend on the damage of spirit wolves. Spirit wolves will distract your opponent if they're melee and give you an opening. They either go after your wolves, so you can attack them in the back or they leave your wolves alone and get surrounded, going into the hit recovery animation. (Something along those lines.)

11. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

...keep in mind I used to beat EVERYONE like that in 1.09. Thanks.

12. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Keep in mind that we do have a new patch after all.

13. alainpp66

Keep in mind not all things change.

Distract and Damage is still a viable strategy.

14. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Except the fact that you blow on them and they die.

15. 2JZ-GTTE

You don't need a lot of time to rush in and attack while they're killing off your wolves.

16. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Or, they ww/zeal/fury once through your wolves and leech life while killing them all, how cool.

17. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I thought that leech was disabled in PvP or is that only when hitting a player and not a players minions and if so can you leech of mercs?

18. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Except leech sucks in p v p AND that's 5 attacks that you're not getting hit by while you're attacking.

19. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

You can still leech quite a bit off minions, I believe they're considered monsters.
    Edit: And who's to say the zeal/fury/ww wouldn't hit you as well?

20. alainpp66

If someone uses all of those attacks, you won't be hit with every shot. Giving you a distinct advantage right there. That's 1 smack in the face instead of 5.