Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grizzly damage calculation

Discussion in 'Druid' started by acceleration turkey, Mar 27, 2004.

1. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

Grizzly damage calculation

hello, this is my first druid forum post.

i currently have a druid who is planning to use hurricane/tornado along with oaksage/grizzly. i decided that i would sacrifice wind synergy points (in twister) in order to have grizzly and oak sage which will help my merc and generally keep me a lot safer at the cost of some damage output from me.

looking at the new 1.1 stats of the grizzly, the damage is better than ever. this interested me because i also have a skeleton necro who uses a might merc. might mercs are excellent for skeleton necros because skeletons do base damage, which means the entire listed damage is multiplied by the might aura, whereas for a melee character only the weapon damage is multiplied, not the entire damage in the character window.

my question was, can i count on the eventual 1600 damage of a level 25 grizzly to be multiplied by my merc's might aura? the might aura on an act 2 merc tops out at around +250% damage, so that would mean 5600 damage. not to mention that i plan to give my merc reaper's toll for decrepify, so now we are talking an additional +50% overall, or 8400 damage per hit.

1600 bear damage at level 25
    x 3.5 from +250% might aura
    x 1.5 from +50% decrep resistence penalty
    = 8400

as a caster/fragile character, i know i should be going for holy freeze or defiance. in fact, all my melee characters use holy freeze mercs for defense. but in this case, the damage bonus seems well worth it. the bear will be doing amazing single hit damage, plus my tornados will do additional damage to decrepified targets because the damage is physical.

is this a good setup (hurricane/tornado + grizzly/oaksage + might aura/decrepify)? if the damage is "calculated really wrong," please tell me how to correctly calculate it so i can plan on using another merc. right now i am in act 2 nightmare so this is where i will be choosing between a holy freeze or might merc.

sorry if this is an old build that has already been discussed. i searched the forums for grizzly discussions but most of them were about dire wolves vs grizzly.

2. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Welcome to the Druid Forum!!! :D :D :D

Grizzlies have high damage because of the % modifier on the skill itself. That means that the base damage isn't really raising, it's just being modified. So it's different from skeletons, unfortunately. The damage won't be nearly that high.

It is pretty high, though.

3. acceleration turkey

so the grizzly uses the skills bash and stun like a barbarian merc? is there any listing of the skill levels a grizzly reaches as its level increases as opposed to its base damage?

4. Green_Squirrel

Green_Squirrel IncGamers Member

At slvl 25 a Grizzly's base damage would be 448, thus modified with its passive bonus to become 1635.

First you go with the base damage,

Level 25 Grizzly:
    -448 * (250 Might + 265 Passive) = 2755 max damage
    -Since Decrepify doesn't work as ED, you could use the total, 2755 becomes 4132 max damage.
    -Without Might merc your Grizzly's total damage with Decrepify would be: 2452.

As you get more +skills the Grizzly's base damage increases along with his passive ED, making Might capable of giving a more efficient boost.

Level 30 Grizzly (to compare):
    -586 base damage * (250 Might + 315 Passive) = 3896 max damage
    -With Decrepify: 5844 max damage.

5. acceleration turkey

awesome, many thanks for your thorough answer.

considering that a might aura accounts for maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of a bear's total damage from passive and decrep, do you think it would be more advisable to switch to a defiance merc? im planning to use (eventually) stormshield and arcane's, so im thinking that i could have really high defense.

im already using hurricane so i think the chill from holy freeze would be redundant. i dont want to get a defiance merc though if the merc and bear can already tank everything due to oak sage and hurricane's chill. how do bears fare late-game, in terms of durability? do i want defiance?

6. Green_Squirrel

Green_Squirrel IncGamers Member

Defiance wouldn't help your Grizzly enough to make a difference. Sure, it could help you, but I don't see it as good enough. Hurricane is a type of cold damage, HF works differently than that. So IIRC Hurricane's cold stacks with HF and Decrepify, no redundancy there.

Your Grizzly should survive well enough with your merc's Decrepify and Oak. I would highly recommend HF merc, whose aura can still freeze CI's and reduce the amount of blows taken to you and your comrades.