Grizzly bear smite frequency?

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member
Grizzly bear smite frequency?

I know that the grizzly bear has a chance to use smite. What I don't know is what that chance is. What are the odds that, on any given attack, the bear will smite instead of just using his normal attack?

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Grizzly bear smite frequency?

Grizzly has 50% chance of using its A2 attack, which is BearSmite: unlike Smite this requires a hit-check and can be blocked, it doesn't stun but does knock back on striking, and +15% Damage is applied in Normal, +60% Damage is applied in Nightmare and +120% Damage is applied in Hell.

Last edited:

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

Grizzly has 3/13 chance of using its A1 attack and 10/13 chance of using its A2 attack, which is BearSmite: unlike Smite this requires a hit-check and can be blocked, it doesn't stun but does knock back on striking, and +15% Damage is applied in Normal, +60% Damage is applied in Nightmare and +120% Damage is applied in Hell.
While I do believe that it can be blocked, I know for a fact that Bear smite stuns. I've seen the resultant swirlies.

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

Hm. I guess maybe someone mind blasted the guy I was dueling as my bear hit him. Damn. That would have been awesome.

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member

onderduiker: Does the extra damage from Smite function as ED (thus purely additive to the Bear's inherent bonus)?

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, BearSmite's +% Damage simply adds to that from all other sources (Summon Grizzly, Heart of Wolverine, Might, Concentration and Fanaticism).

[cK]Extreme

Diabloii.Net Member

Grizzly attacks definitely have the capacity to stun, despite what the short youtube video and naysayers are trying to suggest. Unless this was changed in 1.13 or some other patch, which I dont think it was. You can read the older pet threads like this one to see people describing the stun commonly.

It was always a factor when building a Shockwave Bear, because the grizzlys stun would overwrite your shockwave with its shorter duration. I don't know with what percentage it does it, but its definitely there(or at least used to be).

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

It's clear that it doesn't stun. All my druids used Grizzly, and can't really remember ever seeing swirlies from them.

I've also seen people discuss 2 frame strafe regularly... oops!

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member

[cK]Extreme;7806950 said:
Grizzly attacks definitely have the capacity to stun, despite what the short youtube video and naysayers are trying to suggest.
When you said "definitely" I was expecting to read how you had just taken a minute or two to test this yourself, not a link to an almost seven-year old thread posted less than six months after the final release of 1.10 on 28 October 2003, in which the only significant comment (as opposed to question) on Grizzly 'stun length' was the following:

Whoever told you stun would be negated was wrong. Things like that don't cancel each other out, they will just reset. Your Shockwave stun will have them standing there on a timer, then Grizzly hits them and the Shockwave stun stops timing because the Grizzly stun started timing instead.
While the explanation of how stun length applies is correct (only the most recent stun length is applied, regardless of source, skill level or length), there's no indication that its application to this particular case is based on recent (post 1.10) personal experience, rather than simply assuming that Bear Smite applies stun length (or still applied it, if it did so prior to 1.10). People also have a confusing habit of referring to being put into hit recovery as 'stunning'.

Before making my first post I had actually tested to confirm Grizzly's Bear Smite doesn't apply stun length (indicated by 'swirlies' over the targets head when knocked back and put into hit recovery by Bear Smite). Although like stefan's tests these were in single player, I've watched YouTube videos of on-line play (Uber runs with monsters summoned, so they had to be on-line) in which Bear Smite doesn't apply stun length either.

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member

Bear's Smite doesn't stun. It creates a KB effect that forces hit recovery. Not the same thing.

[cK]Extreme

Diabloii.Net Member

When you said "definitely" I was expecting to read how you had just taken a minute or two to test this yourself, not a link to an almost seven-year old thread posted less than six months after the final release of 1.10 on 28 October 2003, in which the only significant comment (as opposed to question) on Grizzly 'stun length' was the following:

While the explanation of how stun length applies is correct (only the most recent stun length is applied, regardless of source, skill level or length), there's no indication that its application to this particular case is based on recent (post 1.10) personal experience, rather than simply assuming that Bear Smite applies stun length (or still applied it, if it did so prior to 1.10). People also have a confusing habit of referring to being put into hit recovery as 'stunning'.

Before making my first post I had actually tested to confirm Grizzly's Bear Smite doesn't apply stun length (indicated by 'swirlies' over the targets head when knocked back and put into hit recovery by Bear Smite). Although like stefan's tests these were in single player, I've watched YouTube videos of on-line play (Uber runs with monsters summoned, so they had to be on-line) in which Bear Smite doesn't apply stun length either.
Yes, I realize the thread is old and stated that when I posted it. The game is a decade old, most databases aren't going to be continually updated anymore. This sites very own wiki also states that Grizzlys stun: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Druid_Summoning_Skills

"Details: Summoned Grizzlies are fierce minions, capable of inflicting heavy damage. Grizzlies move slowly, but have strong attacks that stun and knock back their targets."

Is this information now outdated in 1.13? Possibly, I'm unaware of any changes that might have taken place. But they DID stun at some point in time, swirleys and all.

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

[cK]Extreme;7807916 said:
Yes, I realize the thread is old and stated that when I posted it. The game is a decade old, most databases aren't going to be continually updated anymore. This sites very own wiki also states that Grizzlys stun: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Druid_Summoning_Skills
I wouldn't rely too much on the wiki.

Is this information now outdated in 1.13? Possibly, I'm unaware of any changes that might have taken place. But they DID stun at some point in time, swirleys and all.
Like I said, I have never seen it stun.

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member

Out of curiosity, I reinstalled Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and used the -act 5 command line parameter so that a newly created Druid started in Act 5 at level 32, and found that Grizzly's Bear Smite did apply stun length in 1.07; it still did so when I upgraded to 1.09d (patch downloaded from Blizzard's File Transfer Protocol Site). However, when I upgraded to 1.10 Bear Smite no longer applied stun length: it simply knocked back monsters and put them into hit recovery.

So this isn't as recent as 1.13, and Bear Smite hasn't applied stun length in over seven years... or more than 75% of the game's post-Expansion history.

[cK]Extreme

Diabloii.Net Member

Out of curiosity, I reinstalled Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and used the -act 5 command line parameter so that a newly created Druid started in Act 5 at level 32, and found that Grizzly's Bear Smite did apply stun length in 1.07; it still did so when I upgraded to 1.09d (patch downloaded from Blizzard's File Transfer Protocol Site). However, when I upgraded to 1.10 Bear Smite no longer applied stun length: it simply knocked back monsters and put them into hit recovery.

So this isn't as recent as 1.13, and Bear Smite hasn't applied stun length in over seven years... or more than 75% of the game's post-Expansion history.
Another way to say that would be: it was in when it was released, and functioned that way for the first several years of the expansion. We call that the 'the heyday'.. 1.10 was a pretty major overhaul and done after the games decline. Synergys and all that, if you recall. Birth of hammerdins/etc... hardly the meat of Diablo 2's lifecycle. :whistling: Like I said, it's an old game.

Explains why most original players will remember it and understand references done in older threads, and why people who registered here post-2006 are trying to argue with me as if it never existed ;) Thanks for the info.

Orion

Diabloii.Net Member

It's a shame that it doesn't work anymore. I liked it and it was missed in the overhaul. I still use the Griz but it's not the same. The damage synergy in 1.13 isn't any comparison to the old stun.

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

[cK]Extreme;7808832 said:
Explains why most original players will remember it and understand references done in older threads, and why people who registered here post-2006 are trying to argue with me as if it never existed ;) Thanks for the info.
Or it explains why old players shouldn't comment too much on the current state of the game instead of trying to argue things never changed. Either you have been playing without paying any attention, or you haven't been playing and can't comment. :p

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member

[cK]Extreme;7808832 said:
People have been saying that Bear Smite doesn't apply stun length now (having tested to confirm it), not that it never did so: since this thread was started by somebody currently playing the game and obviously seeking current information, the fact that it did apply stun length over seven years ago isn't relevant or useful.

[cK]Extreme

Diabloii.Net Member

[cK]Extreme;7806950 said:
I don't know with what percentage it does it, but its definitely there(or at least used to be).
I never tried stating anything otherwise. Don't backtrack because you didn't even know it ever existed ;p

And in case you didn't realize, the single player forum is more popular than all of the other forums by a margin of nearly 5x. People routinely play older patches together via tcp/ip, myself included, and the OP never specified. Ignorance is bliss I suppose, cheers~