Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Griswold's Set and my MF Summoner

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by jmprockstar, Mar 1, 2004.

1. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Griswold's Set and my MF Summoner

This idea may seem obvious to some, either in its utility or stupidity; however, it isn't obvious to me that it's either.

I've come across some Griswold set armor and thought I might get the crown. I imagine the crown is expensive (I really have no idea), but I have considered wearing the crown and the armor together for my MF summoner. The crown gets up to 30% MF as it is, but it also comes with two sockets in which I would obviously place two ptopazes, bringing it to a maximum of 54% MF. The armor has three sockets, giving me 72% MF.

This would put my MF in the mid-300s and give me considerable DR (and a lot of strength, +40 total, I think, for whatever that's worth).

I've been mulling over the idea and haven't come to a conclusion myself, so I thought I'd put it out there. Perhaps I should just use the armor with ptopazes (the crown not doing all that much for me) and pray for a Shako, which would get me the same MF with much better mods?

Thanks in advance for your input.. :drool:

2. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

The max mf for a crown is 78% mf with 2 ptopazes, as griz helm gets 2 sockets

ptopazes have 24% mf a pop (wasting an ist in any helm/armor is foolish, 25% mf in armor for ist rune...ugh)

I have a perfect MF crown on ladder that I currently use to MF. It's got 4% more mf than a ptopazed shacko whereas the +skills/life/mana is lacking (big lack now that I think about it) it's not bad at all to use, as your main mf machines (skellies) can be prebuffed.

I use a skullders with it, and have the armor on my merc ptopazed for the nice +str need for his weapon.

I originally used the partial griz ON my merc thinking...hmmm...maybe that +2 to offensive auras (partial set bonus) will help his might? It doesn't dammit (i'm pretty sure it doesn't), as he's not an official "paladin"

But if you happen to find a crown (very rare) and you don't have an extra shako it's plausable to use it, as it's not half bad.

3. jmprockstar

Thanks for your response Necrochild; it was exactly what I needed! :thumbsup:

Since the armor on my mercenary is nothing exciting (a rare embossed with mods not worth remembering), I'll put it on him and see how he fares. If he does well, I'll put in the ptopazes and resume MFing. As for my armor, I haven't been able to acquire a Skullder's, so I just wear my Vipermagi when I MF. I figured it'll help me with my resistances anyway.

Since the Gris crown is so rare, do you suppose that I'll find a Shako before I find it? You know, if I find either, I won't complain. :drool:

4. Necrochild313

Well according to www.d2data.net the highest chance to drop a corona is 0.26830190% in parts of act 5 hell, whereas the highest chance to drop a shako is 1.19062034% in parts of act 1 hell, and 0.77497093% chance from nightmare baal. So according to these numbers your destined to get your shako first :p.

(Watch gris helm drop on your next mf run ;) )

Oh, and don't forget that your merc's mf is your mf + his!

5. ferretgod

ferretgod IncGamers Member

Summoner is one of the best MF chars. He is not the fastest, but I got almost all of MF gear on, and he can still do the Pit easy. (just keep marrow’s on, rest of that can go)

As far as Corona goes, I found 5 shakos and one corona so far. Griz corona is pretty expensive, so it will be waist of you resources. Quick and easy way: trade for the ali baba and sckudds (both are relatively cheap) get 3 p topazes in to a helm and start running pit, eldritch, pindle, and what ever his name is (down from wp). Anyway, this will get you some stuff to trade in the cannales to get what you looking for, and not get killed every 5 min.

BTW, I use Griz armor with 3 ptopaz on my merc, seems to work well enough.

6. Necrochild313

Oh...my numbers above are not entirely correct, they are actually that number divided by 7 for the shako and that number divided by 11 for the corona, so the griz helm seems to have an even slimmer chance to drop indeed. Those are the number for the treasure class, and there are 6 other items that can randomly drop instead of the shako if that particular treasure class decides to drop, and 10 other items that can randomly drop instead of the corona if that treasure class decides to drop.

*clutches his gris helm tightly* sheesh...

7. jmprockstar

ferretgod: I actually have two ali babas (one on a pit run and the other in the tamoe highlands on the way to make a pit run :lol: ), one of which is on my summoner. I didn't realize Skullder's was all that cheap; I just figured that since it was MF, it was expensive.. so I never traded for it. I have some decent runes to trade for it, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Perhaps, it's worth a Nat's claw? I just got one of those from a random unique in WSK, the same way I got Gris armor. I've since stopped using my tele ammy and run the WSK 2 to the Throne, since I get as many good drops during the run as I do from Baal, it seems. Summoners are definitely the safest and most efficient MFers, although, as some have noted recently, not the best at killing Baal quickly. They'll do it, but you just have to wait longer than most.

Necrochild: Not to get so OT, but do Paladins even want these set items, or are they really more useful for MFing. I've made a few pally attempts (hammerdin [yeah, yeah, I know--I needed some MF fast, so I went with a cookiecutter which I found unbelievably boring to play] and tesladin, who is still level 3), and I've never seen pallys ever have much use for a set so obviously intended for them.. oh well... :scratch:

8. Har-Megiddo

Har-Megiddo IncGamers Member

Sometimes a paly will put the set on and fill the sockets with 40/15s.