Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Griswold Pally?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Panix, May 29, 2008.

1. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

Griswold Pally?

I've been having fun making different builds. I LOVE my Riftadin and ZealSorc. He's really fun and helps my smiter get through the furnace of pain since he doesn't ph34r the Iron Maiden Asshats. I got the runes together and threw rift in a CV and my merc gets to have fun spitting orbs and tornados too. :grin: The Zealsorc just runs around and shocks everything in normal and most of nightmare with that pumped up lightning mastery powered holy shock. :grin:

Anyways, I got to thinking about making a pally (probably a zealot unless someone can tell me something that'd be better) based around the Griswold's set items. It has so many sockets that I figured I could throw a bunch of high runes or expensive jewels here and there and actually make it viable.

Has anyone tried this before? Anyone have suggestions? I made this post now and it's 3:48am here so I was hoping to get some feedback when I wake up (haven't been able to sleep because I've been coughing my lungs out from this cold all night). I need to get the caddy and shield I think and I'll have the set but I really need to get the caddy with 4 soc. I'm gonna go through my mules and put a trade list up on USEast when I get up to try and acquire what else I need to complete this bad boy.

Stupid idea? Crazy idea? Suggestions? Flames?

Help a brotha out!

2. Rane-

Rane- IncGamers Member

Re: Griswold Pally?

I decent griswold is only as good as its socketed items. The cheapest route is to chuck phys dmg jewels in there and make an avenger. It works out to be decent and fairly cheap. The two most effective/expensive builds I've seen are cold or light facets. Light facets are only for a pvp foh oriented build which works very well at what it does. The cold facets are for a typical frost zealot and it does a decent job at that.

3. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

A zealadin can use the gris set and make it through the game, but the gris set really shines when the its filled with light facets for foh pvp. Ill let someone else give you info on the zealadin as im rather drunk and actually have never used the gris set for a zealer when i was rich enough to put the sockets to good use.

that sucks LOL same time..but anyways, bers with 40/15s in the weps will give you good dmg/cb, res runes/jewels in the armor/shield/helm will help you sure up your res.

4. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

I have both crazy/stupid/fun plan figured out for my grizpala.

I am at same situation, planning to do something with that set. I have figured out that I can't beat high end runewords with this set, so kind of pointless to go pure physical attack. Getting good crushing blow is out too.

I have been playing with enchant sorc with faith merc -> usually 3-5 skeletons are out very fast. Those tanks nicely too. And that faith aura looks so nice under skeletons. With converter pala+faith merc-> lots of minions.

I have 2xhelmet,shield and armors in pala set, no weapon yet. I have also lots of low end facets gathering dust in mules.
    Planning to make converter with that pala set. Using facets/elemental jools in sockets. Backup aura is conviction, so those elemental jool etc.. works nicely.

With faith merc, I have good speed, no need to use any ias except that 40ias from weapon. (4ias more for zeal, both smite and basic attack max speed).
    So with that speed its about new converted monster every second.

Something like that, maybe with holy freeze aura as main aura. Conviction aura (=uber tristram viable right away without stacking) near max too, because converted monsters do massive elemental anyway. My first ubertristram pala (last ladder) had 1-point in convert and it worked nicely in tristram.

Holy freeze palas don't have good weapon, so this set weapon is good candidate. With faith merc 4frame elemental zeal or 8frame converting attack is easily to get.

As merc is already iron maiden safe, pala needs backup weapon for iron maiden, maybe lawbringer.

Have fun.

5. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

I was almost thinking of something like Jah-Ber-Ber-Mal on the weapon or maybe Jah-Ber-Ber-40/15 or something. I've been looking for reading on what's the big difference between on and off weapon enhanced damage because I don't have a clue. Also, only adding 40ED seems like it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. Would it almost be better to get crushing blow from say some nice crafted blood gloves (with life leech bonus) and some gore riders or hell, dracul's for the open wounds and CtC life tap?

For the shield, I was kinda thinking for atleast two slots something like 2x 15res/15-req to help with the str requirement and to add some res.

After writing all that, I guess I'll probably do better to find out where I stand once I have the full set on one of my other pallies to see how stats and requirements work out.

I like the faith merc idea because I have a 14/2 faith in a great bow I made. That could keep me from having to use IAS jewels or shaels. I've never made a frost zealot or avenger or ever even used the skill conversion so I dunno what it does. :embarassed:

I just wonder if the damage increase from the cold facets would make frost zealot rock pretty good. Like I said, I'm almost looking to go straight physical damage with maybe using vengence as a way to deal with physical immunities.

I know this won't be something that'll take down the ubers or anything but I'd like to atleast be able to kill most everything in hell even if it's one hell of a fight. Fun builds can be powerful too!

6. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

lately I tested frost zealot and tesladin (shock zealot) with full gris. I used pretty much same setup with both and as a result frost zealot hit around 9k with each hit and tesladin hit 28k if I am not mistaken, both sets were filled with facets and stash full of offensive skillers

7. MedctnStn

MedctnStn IncGamers Member

here's a different build- make an abbott by putting Sol runes in armor, get lots of +defensive skills, max prayer and one point cleansing. I can PM you the link to the build, as it's not posted here anymore.

8. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

here is a video shows Holy Freeze Paladin
    Video

9. Garisdacar

Garisdacar IncGamers Member

i have griswold's full set, but also not sure what to do with it. i had heard about that abbot build before so i threw sol's in all the armor slots (total of 56 damage reduction, it really makes a difference), but not sure what else to do. i'm thinking of making a smiter out of him, prolly 1 pt smiter or something similar. couple ber's in the weapon and goblin toe and i should be all set in hell.

10. BlackWinterDay

BlackWinterDay IncGamers Member

I recently completed the Griswold set on the new ladder for my Conviction Zealot. This is a character I have made specifically for Uber Tristram. Conviction is my aura of choice to cancel out Uber-Meph's aura, to maximize the effect of any added elemental damage, and to make AR a non-issue when attacking with Zeal.

The rest of his gear:

Dracul's Grasp
    Highlord's Wrath
    Thundergod's Vigor
    Ravenfrost
    Manald Heal (want to replace with crafted dual leech)
    Gore Rider

I currently have 4 x Shael in the weapon (and one IAS jewel in the armor) for a 4fpa Zeal attack (without Fanaticism!), but once I build some wealth and the price of HR drops on the new ladder I will re-socket with 4 x Ber. That will give me 95% CB with a 5fpa Zeal.

I've decided to use (low) Rainbow Facets in most of the sockets solely for the added elemental damage. High elemental damage magic/rare jewels can be tough to find, and most people are willing to trade off 3/3 facets for p.gems. So far I have 2 Fire facets in the helm, and will add 2 Cold facets to the shield and 3 Light facets to the armor. I will still need 1 P.Diamond in the shield even with a decent Torch and Anni.

Skill distribution is:

20 Conviction
    20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice
    20 Holy Shield

As I continue to level I am dumping my remaining points into Defiance for the Holy Shield defense synergy.

I've tried to incorporate as much elemental damage wherever possible to take advantage of the Conviction aura I am laying down, but most of my future gains will come from improving my charms. Since this build does not really benefit from + skills beyond what I get from gear, I can stack my inventory full of small elemental dmg charms. The trick there is finding and trading for them, since I rarely ever see people put them on their trade lists.

Most people are probably going to laugh at this and assume it's a weak build, but it works. I completed Hell difficulty easily with a Lightsaber, GA and Stormshield. Killing speed is currently a bit slow, but the guy is a tank and essentially unkillable once Life Tap triggers. Once I get rich and reach 95% CB, it's going to be GG.

11. Garisdacar

i think i'm following this guy's plan, jahberbermal on my griswold caddy (when i get a 4os one), for my 1pt smiter. it kind of sucks putting ITD on a smiter weapon, but judging from the calcs i've looked at i'll need it for zealing. you guys think that's true? 130 dex in a set that adds 200 to AR, plus ravenfrost, plus lvl30 zeal/fanat, i still have a pretty low attack rating with zeal...

12. BlackWinterDay

BlackWinterDay IncGamers Member

Prevent Monster Heal doesn't work on the Ubers, so why Mal? You'll no doubt be using Dracs and Gores, that should be enough OW to keep a bleed on whatever you're killing.

13. Garisdacar

b/c it's not generally for uber killing, i figure that would be a good mod to have for random bosses and generally throughout hell. or do i just need open wounds/poison charms?

14. BAMFSpecialOps

I would go with the ow/poison route myself. And for your other question if your making a zealot you will have points into blessed aim which will give you a passive bonus to your AR also, I don't think you will have a problem coming from your AR.

15. Garisdacar

so blessed aim still gives that passive bonus to AR? about how many points would i want to put in there?

so now i'm thinking Ber Um Ber Jah - but prolly not Jah anymore either...

with gores/dracs, that gives me 55% cb and 60% ow

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  16. BAMFSpecialOps

Max out your main skills/1 point wonders, then dump the rest in there.

17. Garisdacar

thanks for the input bamf. i was planning 20 zeal/sacrifice/HS/fanat and dumping leftovers into defiance, but i'm guessing defense isn't going to be a huge problem with that much holy shield. blessed aim it is. finishing my build at lvl85 leaves me i think 8 points in there.

18. Qonmus

Qonmus IncGamers Member

what about a vengeance build? with some high damage lit jewels in the weapon, some light facets in the armor, ums in the shield, helm either facets or damage jewels...viable?

19. schnelltot

schnelltot IncGamers Member

Synergized vengeance + Conviction aura + high damage weapon = nice elemental damage (not to mention increased chance to hit). However, it requires lots of skill points spent to pump the elemental synergies and since it's not Zeal, it's a slow attack, which I just can't get used to once I had used Zeal. There was no going back.

20. BAMFSpecialOps

It could work Qonmus, but Vengeance converts physical dmg to elemental, and the gris weapon doesn't just overflow with physical dmg from the start...