Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

griswold avenger(again)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by uncountednose, Oct 10, 2006.

1. uncountednose

uncountednose IncGamers Member

griswold avenger(again)

so as the title states i intend to make a griswold avenger and i have a few of questions.

1)socket: i know 40%ed and ias to reach 8fps but, my understanding is that vengance is based off of the base weapon damage. now since i see botd tossed around as an ideal weapon for vengance im assuming the ed% on the weapon will benefit vengance but how about off-weapon? also considering the low base damage of the weapon would i benefit more from min/max ed jewels?

2)aura:there seems to be 2 schools of thought here, fanaticism and conviction. since i have been led to believe that the max practical fps i can reach is 8 then if i reach that without fanaticism i dont really benefit from one of the main parts of the fanaticism aura, right? additionally i havent done the math but the reduction in defense and increased elemental damage achieved through conviction seems to exceed the extra damage and ar bonuses of frenzy especially since i think the damage bonus from fanaticism doesnt help vengance. do i need to use the calculator :sad2: or does anyone know.

3)equipment: well i think dracs and raven and highlords are pretty much a given but after that the water gets a little muddy for me. string or dungos(ll or extra life). gores or war travellers or something else? how about that other ring? im thinking dwarf star but maybe a dual leech rare would be better.

i know there have been a lot of posts asking about not only gris's set but avengers. i have been reading those posts for the last hour and i think i have some questions here that are not answered very well with the exception of the equipment questions just wanted a little more input on that. :smiley:

2. uncountednose

another thought

well i put forth using min/max jewels instead of % ed jewels as giving more damage but since griefs damage doesn't work with vengance im thinking that min/max jewels won't either.

sure hope someone has some answers for me

3. uncountednose

2 days and no answers at all? someone please help. are they stupid questions? dont know answers? tell me plz!!!!!!

4. nex

nex IncGamers Member

1) ed% outside your weapon doesn't increase Vengeance dmg. +min/+max DOES increase Vengeance dmg, straight +dmg (Grief, Redeemer, Astreon's) doesn't.

2) Conviction is better choice for Avenger.

5. ganjaman

ganjaman IncGamers Member

I would suggest against using +min/max jewels on your caddy, since a 40ed jewel would add roughly 14-18 damage to the weapon(16avrg). That means you'd need a jewel that had +33 max or +16 min to equal the benefit and those sort of jewels are in my experience rarer and more expensive than 35-39ed jewels.
    If you are rich the best thing you could socket in there would be 40ed -15 max jewels, which i believe would add approx 23.5 avrg dmg. If you are not so rich you should be able to pick something like 37ed-10 max for a reasonable price.
    Also i believe +max jewels on your armour with no ed mod will affect your Vengeance, thats where your 3x30 max jewels will fit nicely :D

As for your other equipment, it looks like you have no mana leech so you should take a ring with high AR and ML for sure. If you have Dracs, i'd say you dont need any more LL, so go with Dungoes, and Gores are much better than Travs unless you want mf.
    Looks like you might have AR problems so stock up on AR charms, since your resist should be pretty good.

Thinking about it the Gris set could be pretty nice for max damage with an ideal setup:

Perf sceptre with set bonuses: damage = 169 -186
    + 4*40ed -15 max(approx +60min-128max) : damage = 229-314
    + 3*30 Max jewel on Armor [+90 max] : damage = 229-404
    + 3*30max jewels on Shield [+90 max] : damage = 229-494
    + 2*30max jewels in Helm [+60 max] : damage = 229-554

Thats about 390 avrg damage if i'm not mistaken, which is as good as a bad grief except the damage will work with vengeance. and could give very nice damage. And even with less perfect set-of jewels you could probably aim for maybe 200-450 damage.

Damn i go on a lot.

6. uncountednose

thank-you!

7. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Don't be worried about AR. A -25% in target def is equal to have +33% extra AR to hit on target. With Conviction, you have their def reduce to by 90++%.

So you will score the hits, even with near base AR, not to mention that Vengence has its own AR boosts too.