Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grim Dawn - does anybody have any experience?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grisu, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Hello fellow forumites!

I just wanted to ask if somebody has any early access experience with Grim Dawn? For those who haven't heard yet, it's a D2-like ARPG from the makers of Titan Quest with early access funtion:

http://www.grimdawn.com/index.php
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/

Looks cool, but I don't know how far the game is yet? A quick search showed that at least Thyiad, TheNix and Kitteh have some experience with it? How do you like it? Is it worth the currently 23€ it costs?

Thanks for any thoughts about the game!

2. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

I see TheNix is coming up to 90 hours invested so far .. so I think he likes it :p I suggested it to him, so he can blame me for that. I'm not too keen for new games due to enjoying D2 + funds issues.

Might be slightly off topic, but is there a steam group for SPF people? Or just somewhere to share links to your steam profiles? Find me here http://steamcommunity.com/id/timdoherty/

3. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I've only piddled around for a few hours with it myself, and that was a few weeks ago when it was still in early access, but it felt good and seems to have a good underlying gameplay system. I intend to do a video series on it soon (probably a let's play, but I guess it depends exactly on how things are structured/work out) but that's not exactly a super fast thing to answering your questions.

As for how far along it is: it was officially released a couple days ago, with the final bug fix and content patching coming Monday of this past week or so which all means that it's currently content complete from the developer's eyes. As for whether it's worth the money ... I can't say for certain but from what I've seen and how it feels and other's experience I would imagine it's quite well worth it if you can spend that amount of money on a game.

4. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I did enjoy my time playing it, but to be honest the novelty wore off and I ended up not really finding it that exciting. Building a character in particular didn't feel great to me. I got it on sale though, so I'm not fussed. I would at least consider it in the next sale, or as one for the future.

Oh, I added you Tim, but I am still 'Virgait' on Steam, not Kitteh.

5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I've played it a lot of Xmas and New Year (only about 30 hrs) but not since then; that's due to my time pressures sorting out other stuff and not boredom with the game. In fact, now you've reminded me, I'll be off to it after this post. :D

It reminds me very much of D2 and really what D3 could have been. The skill trees are a bit of a cross between D2 and FF (or what I remember of that, I didn't really like it). There is flexibility in builds and strengths and you can adapt your playstyle accordingly.

Crafting is available, although I didn't get into it too much. But I really liked the idea of being able to tweak items.

The story is excellent and it's something I really enjoyed. It progresses well and didn't seem 'tacked on'. (It was interesting reading that D2 article where the cinematographers basically made the story.) This seemed to have a good solid structure from the get go.

The difficulty was reasonably in it's progression (at least for a non-l33t SC player like me). There are various difficulty levels but I'll stick with the standard one. For me it provided enough of a challenge but was never 'throw the keyboard out of the window' annoying.

The graphics stand up very well. Not realistic but very well done and give excellent atmosphere to the game. Basically Diablo 2.7 rather than D3.

For an early access game, I was very impressed. The only thing I would have loved would have been MP. Maybe that will come later (if it isn't in the update already).

And now you mention it, I think Grim Dawn would be a very good idea ... byeeeeeee. :D

PM me if you want my Steam username; it isn't Thyiad.

EDIT:
    There's a Host Multiplayer option now. I'm sure that wasn't there before just SP or Campaign. GG.
    I'm on Normal Diff. Veteran also available, Elite and Ultimate locked.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  6. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Member

I just downloaded it, seems to be a good mix of Torchlight, D2, Titan Quest and probably some other ARPGs I don't know of. The skill system is taken almost unmodified from Titan Quest, it seems, while the interface is very Torchlight II-like. I started a Demolitionist (somewhat similar to Torchlight's Vanquisher) and killed some undead boss. The atmosphere is really good, not sure about story line because I'm not really deep into the game. Definitely worth the 23 euros.

7. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

As Timinator said, I've put a lot of hours in recently and I like it very much. It is now out of early access and into the full game. It is the type of game I like to play; lots of exploring, quests and side quests, good skill and stat development and lots of choice. Graphics are good (that isn't all that important to me) and not as intrusive as that of D3 (now that is important, D3 graphics were crap!). Even through there is so much choice, I don't see a lot of replayability in it though. Maybe it is just me, but I find some of the skills a little underwhelming or just not all that interesting.

Kitteh likes this.
  8. Kitteh

I think that is part of my issue Nix, the skills. I will no doubt go back to GD one day.

9. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

I really like it. It's basically "Titan Quest 2" with lots of QOL features, and it's balanced fairly well. The devotion system is *really* cool, and I'm enjoying the story so far.

One of my biggest "gripes" (I put that in quotes because I'm not sure if it really bothers me or not) is that a lot of the class combinations don't seem to synergize much. Titan quest did that really well, and it was fairly obvious how to make things work together. For example, I wanted to do a battlemage (soldier and arcanist). It sounds great in theory, but once I put the soldier tree together, I couldn't really find a reason to use the arcanist tree at all. There just isn't much synergy between the two.

Same for my warlock (occultist + arcanist). The build I have is basically just two characters at once - an arcanist who summons frozen meteors, and an occultist who puts sigils on the ground. They're just two skills, but don't really compliment each other at all.

Really not a big deal, as it doesn't seem to effect build viability - I just went into it hoping that I would be able to take something like a soldier tree, and fill in some gaps with another tree. But I haven't really seen that yet.

10. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I bought the game back in July 2015 and have been playing Grim Dawn for 101 hours up till now, and think it's an awesome game. It has a lot of depth, tremendous athmosphere and focuses on exploration. The Devotion system is a really cool extra layer. O yes, and the community and the development team are great, and very responsive. The game currently has a 94% positive reviews on Steam, with good reason.

The only reason I haven't been playing it a lot more, is because I still keep getting pulled back in by D2. If it weren't for my time in that game, I'd probably be sitting at 300+ hours at least.

11. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

I sunk 200 hours into torchlight when I was on a d2 break and before my first steam sale. I put a few hours into t2 only to have shiny things distract me... I'll get back there one day.

12. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Haven't played Grim Dawn and although I had a lot of fun with it, the skills were really underwhelming in titan quest, as well. I wonder if there's much improvement? I was interested in grim dawn a few years ago but sorta forgot

13. Kitteh

Well, now I have to play TL2 again.

14. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

So I guess in my parlance "soon" means "basically a couple weeks" but hey. In case anyone interested in Grim Dawn (or just bored) cares to watch, said Let's Play has started. That link is to the playlist (edit: actually that was to the first video, this is to the playlist itself, which currently only has the first two videos available, but should be populated with a further two vids per day for the foreseeable future.

I try to explain some mechanics and such as they come up, but if there's stuff that's still unclear or you have questions/comments please feel free.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Grisu likes this.
  15. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Wow, thanks everyone! I think I'll give it a whirl once it's on sale. In the meantime I will check out your videos, maareek! Thanks for taking the time to do those videos!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9506 mit Tapatalk

16. fearedbliss

fearedbliss IncGamers Member

Yup, I bought it back in 2013 to help them out (Loyalist Edition). I stopped at build 23, a lot has changed since then. Unfortunately since the 1.0.0.0 release (Basically B31 Hotfix 2+) the game has been crashing every 5 minutes for a good portion of the user base (me being one of them), so I haven't been able to play. I'm trying to work with the devs to figure out a solution.

Btw, it's an amazing game, and I consider it as the game that will finally get me to move on from my Diablo II addiction over the past 13 years.. but since it keeps crashing, that migration hasn't happened yet haha.

I probably would recommend you to buy it on GOG so that you can get the DRM free version.
    https://www.gog.com/game/grim_dawn

It was just released on there today. At the moment I still have my stuff on the Steam version since I was an Early Access player. Medierra did post this today so I've sent Humble a message to exchange my Steam Key for a GOG Key.

@pharphis Lol yea I mentioned it to you 3 years ago ;D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  17. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

Glad to have something to watch! I'll go through your lets play while I work through elite difficulty on my spellbreaker :)

18. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Played Grim Dawn for an hour and got my money back. I think you can do better animations with cardboard cutout figures. I was really put off by that, but they also haven't put any effort into helping players find their way around. Same problem I had with PoE. They're both horrible games. I like to, at the very least, know I'm going in the right direction. Head ache material, not fun.

19. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I suspect you might be disappointed given you've already played through it, but I am pretty awesome so maybe not. ;p Either way thanks for giving it a go! :)

@Grisu: Thank you for watching!

Personally I think Grim Dawn looks fine. There's nothing about the graphics or animations or anything that particularly turns me on to it, but there's nothing that turns me off either. But then I'm not one who cares about graphics much.

As for showing where you're going, I like the compromise they've found, actually. I don't like overbearing hand-holding in campaign mode of games, but in Grim Dawn the world map is clearly laid out with area names and their location and I really like that points of interest show up on your minimap even when they're a small ways off the area the minimap covers. Gives you the option of beelining if you want without making you feel bad for exploring like some more overt signals can do. But, again, I'm pretty much okay with whatever choice the designer's decide to make in a game as long as they're consistent - I'm fine with Morrowind basically giving you little to no direction, for example.

20. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

I am at episode 4 right now and I really like your videos, maareek! Thanks for all the effort put into it! What I've seen and read so far makes me think I'll buy it, because there is so much potential in trying out different builds. All in all, it looks like a crossover from TL/Diablo II/PoE, which isn't necessarily bad :)