Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Griffon overated?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Brave_turtle, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Brave_turtle

Brave_turtle IncGamers Member

Griffon overated?

Hi,

I have this lvl 92 lit sorc in HC and was wondering if I could improve her. I'm mainly using Chain lightning and Lightning with 1 ES and 20 telek. Here's my stuff:

- Helm: Griffon (22/17)
    - Amulet: Mara (26%)
    - Armor: COH
    - Weapon: Hoto (39%)
    - sheild: Spirit (34%)
    - Belt:Arachnid
    - Ring: Wisp and Soj
    - Glove: Frostburn
    - Boots: Rare boots (resists + str)

So with this build I already reach the 117% FCR, have max resis and kill considerably well in solo 8 player hell baal but I wonder if I can improve and maybe become original in terms of equipment.

When I switch my griffon to shako and frosties to magefist in order to reach 117% FCR, I hardly notice the difference from the -%/+% light damage of Griffon.

In theory it should work better on light immune monsters but in practice to tell you guys the truth even when I used Perf eschuta with griffon VS immune I couldnt see the difference with Shako/Hoto. Which is why I prefer Hoto to Perf eschuta, more life more resist... The only difference vs Immune is my merc dmg.

What's more interesting is that I met a guy who wanted to trade me his +3 Light skill circlet with -10/+10 facets in it for my griffon. Should I go for it?

From my perception this circlet is way better than my griffon. The only drawback I can see is that I will have to lose precious mana switching from magefist to frosties in order to reach 117% FCR.

Any comments or suggestion?

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

-%res and +%dmg does not help versus immune monsters. Immunities can only be destroyed by lower resist curse and conviction aura. So versus immune, there will be no difference.
    So sticking to griffons/eschutas will make you more effective against those not immune, and there will be no difference versus immunes whatsoever.

I'd still stick to griffons though, it's awesome. It has castrate, +1all instead of +3light and the -res is wonderful.

3. Brave_turtle

Brave_turtle IncGamers Member

AH! That's why I dont see diff vs Immune. But I dont see difference between non-immune either!

well if we compare, griffon has 12/7 more than the circlet. But the circlet actually have 2 more skill. If I use Griff I can keep frosties but if I go circlet I have to go magefist.

All my skills except warmth are in light trees so I don't think +1 all skill makes a difference.

To sum up:

Griffon: - 12//7 more
    - more mana (from frosties)

Circlet: - 2 more light skills

4. MassiveErekchun

MassiveErekchun IncGamers Member

Hi, sorry I dont really have anything constructive to add but I saw something funny and I just am not mature enough to resist posting :jig:
    That is one mean circlet, castrating your opponent is no joke. I suppose that is almost as good as having some cast rate. Well sorry about this post, I just couldnt resist.

5. MrKaxe

MrKaxe IncGamers Site Pal

I saw that 2...if it did would it have a OW animation?!

Griffon's would be nice...circlet sounds good but you could socket the Griffon's...

6. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I wouldn't bother with that magic circlet. If it had 20% faster cast rate on it, THEN I'd consider it. But that griffon's is a much better helm for your sorcy.

The main thing that the -res on griff's will help with is when you break an immunity with conviction. They'll remain at 90%+ resist to lightning, even though they won't be immune, and in that case the -res mod is your best friend.

::Edit:: not to mention, the griff's has great resale value. The circlet will be impossible to trade off.

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

yep - I'm just going to chime in and agree - stick with griffons. If you haven't already - slap a lightning facet in that thing. -enemy lightning resistance is better than +skills (i.e. you get more damage)