Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grief vs Asterons for Smiter

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Darknicrofia, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Darknicrofia

Darknicrofia IncGamers Member

Grief vs Asterons for Smiter

with asterons, the damage that has +40-80 does not display in the damage screen, making it powerful because the pvp penalty doesnt come in play, now i only play on nl, but I heard that grief works in a smiliar way, but ppl claim with grief you can get 10k+ smite, so does the damage from grief works EXACTLY like asterons, adding to shield damage before ed and doesnst take in pvp penalty, or does it display in screen, showing you exactly how much damage you do, I have no idea how grief works as i only play on nl, but with the ladder due to reset, i would like to know a little more about the item before i use it. please enlighten me

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

The damage from Grief works the same way that the damage from Asteron's do...so 10k damage should be possible. Or in other words Grief, owns Asteron's.

3. Darknicrofia

Darknicrofia IncGamers Member

yes thats neat and all, but the damage from asterons doesnt get displayed in damage screen, is that also true for grief? if so, how would u know exactly how much damage you do, some ppl say they have 10k smite, other say they have 12k smite, so im thinking they just do the calculations them selves and ignore the damage screen? because ive been hearing that the damage displayed is NOT how much you do with grief

4. Davie.

Davie. IncGamers Member

You could calculate it. Add up all your + dmg from grief and Holy shield. Then multiply that by your %ed modifiers. I think str and ed% from jewels and armor gets counted differently. After that you have your real dmg minus whatever penalty you may face. Yes you pretty much have to calculate your own dmg with grief because your character screen will flat out lie to you.

5. arbing

arbing IncGamers Member

1) pvp penalty DOES come in with the +x to damage mod....
    2) don't trust the char. screen that much...because the damage is miscalculated in some skills/ equipment
    3) here's the damage formula for smite with grief

(shield damage+ holy shield damage+ x to damage) x (1+ (str/100)+ (ed from equipment/100)+ (ed from skill/100))

let say i am a pally with 175 str using a +375 to damage grief weapon, zak shield, 300%ed fort armor with level 38 smite, 38 holy shield, 28 fanat aura.

For example (some numbers are rounded off):
    (46[shield damage]+ 130[holy shield]+ 400[grief]) x (1+ (175[str]/100)+ (300[fort armor]/100)+ (570[smite skill]+ 509[fanat skill]/100)

which is:
    (576) x (1+ 1.75+ 3+ 10.79) = 9527.04 total damage
    after pvp penality(around 1/6) = 1588 pvp damage
    after 50% dr = 794 pvp damage