Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Greetings from a long time lurker (and way longer D2 player ;))

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Irenicus_Mfs, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Irenicus_Mfs

Irenicus_Mfs Diabloii.Net Member

Hello all!

Let me start by saying that I have an on and off relationship with Diablo 2, as probably most of you do. ;) Originally I started D2 when it was released on the very first day (still remember going to to the shop and starting a Sorc). Then came the expansion and from there I played D2 roughly every year, the vast majority of the time SP and HC but never too seriously as I like the untwinked (or in my head "self-found") journey the most. My hightest level was only something like 91 or 92 as I always started from scratch.

However this year I started watching a lot of MrLlamas stream and read more and more about the great challenges in this forum. Therefore I decided to have a fresh start again and will probably join the unwtinked 99er challenge soon with a HC char of course!

I just do not know what char to pick yet. ;) What I know is that I never had any big runewords (Hoto beeing the "highest") and that I am kind of scared of running LK for 1000s of runs. Therefore I will probably start with a Sorc as usual or alternatively something that is very flexible. Suggestions are of course welcome! Or alternatively I could start a poll to get to know what I do not want to play. ;)

I am looking forward to interacting with you all and thank you for the abundace of great and infromative threads and challenges.

Happy monster killing!

Irenicus

Grape, Pb_pal, T72on1 and 10 others like this.
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Welcome to the SPF (although I guess that you're already pretty familiar with it...) :) Also, welcome in advance to the untwinked 99er tournament, I would definitely encourage another HC entry. We haven't had much luck in that regard so far^^

*takes a run up and kicks in the shins*

Pb_pal and Irenicus_Mfs like this.
  3. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the forum! I too recently exited "two decades of lurking" mode and have found the community very supportive, fun, and easy to get involved with - when time permits, of course. That untwinked 99er challenge seems to lure in additional players every few days; good luck!

Pb_pal, Irenicus_Mfs and Kitteh like this.
  4. smloeffelholz

smloeffelholz Diabloii.Net Member

I knew that your simian standards were low, but we are letting this guy join? Do you imbeciles even know what he is capable of. The man is pure evil, and that means something coming from me!

Alright, alright. I might have overreacted. But if he is going to stay, there is just one thing I have to say...

*steals wallet*

*runs away*

5. Irenicus_Mfs

Haha, great welcome! Thanks!

mir likes this.
  6. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

He cannot be caged. He cannot be controlled. Understand this as we deed, ever pathetic, ever fools...*

*Deckard Cain is dressed in a suspiciously grey robe. How much of his Horadrim background is really confirmed, one wonders? How sure can one be that there is not an old hidden cowl among his vestments? The shadows grow over the life stealing runes...

How about an assassin with bow and Hawkmail as starting character? Bright green Elven Chainmail, so she does not have to suffer the spellcasting penalties...

mir and Irenicus_Mfs like this.
  7. sudomasochist

sudomasochist Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome from another mostly-lurker and good luck with the HC march towards 99.

Irenicus_Mfs likes this.
  8. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome and GL with your 99er!

Irenicus_Mfs likes this.
  9. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the SPF !! I like your intro post, thanks for that :).

The 99er challenge is a very good choice to get things going. You are starting fresh anyway, and there is no better way to get a lot of support, good advice, ... .

I'd go for a Blizz Sorc as first character if you tend to start over with Sorcs anyway and don't look forward to loads of LK runs. Blizz Sorc only really wants Ohm for CtA and Vex for HotO when it comes to higher runes, so that shouldn't take too long to get. Leveling on Pindle is easy, after which you can do Meph/AT/LK and then CS.

Good luck !!!

Irenicus_Mfs likes this.
  10. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the forums, glad to have another one out of lurk-mode! Join as many things as you physically can, and then add another one or two on top of it. I find with D2, the best thing to do is to have wayyy more goals and projects happening than you currently have time for.

jonnyphive, Irenicus_Mfs and T72on1 like this.
  11. Kitteh

The 99er thread is also a great way to get to know people on the forum, a lot of us are active there :)

Zyr and Irenicus_Mfs like this.
  12. Irenicus_Mfs

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I really appreciate the kind of fellowship that you are having going on here!

I am 95% sure, that it will be a Sorc. However I always started with a Sorc and already started one this year (however with a non-FAM). Just for fun I asked my girlfried yesterday (she doesn't know anything about D2) and she said that a Druid sounds like fun. ;) Actually the biggest reason for not choosing a Sorc would be to prove (to myself) that the early MF grind can be done with other characters as well.

13. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like a good reason :).

If you go the Druid route, i think Fire Druid is the strongest early on. After that you can either keep it that way, respec to Windy, or if you prefer melee, make a Fury / Feral Rage Werewolf. Or do something wicked and make an Arctic Blast Druid ;).

14. Kitteh

You're going to want to get rid of the girlfriend though, they tend to get in the way of the D2.

jonnyphive and sanguillen like this.
  15. ArtOfSenf

ArtOfSenf Diabloii.Net Member

I'd give her a week or two to see how she handles it. My girlfriend is quite fine with it, she even asks me if I found a new item when I come to bed later in the evening.
    She has no clue what I am talking about when I tell her about a new unique or drop odds for different zones but she is kinda supportive ;-)

16. Kitteh

My ex kicked me out of my own bed because I played D2 instead of going to bed. *shrug*

17. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

I'm with @Kitteh on this one. And, contrary to popular belief, marrying them and having a child together does NOT help that situation. :p:oops:

jonnyphive and Kitteh like this.
  18. Irenicus_Mfs

Haha, no worries. For now we are not living together, so I have some time for D2. ;)

The decision has been made and I will join the untwinked 99er challenge with Morgana, a sorc! See you in that thread and thanks again for the warm welcome!

T72on1, Zyr and Kitteh like this.
  19. Kitteh

It's cute that you think you will hit 99 before you move in with her.

jonnyphive, Zyr and sanguillen like this.
  20. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

Wait'll he gets to the point that the Nihlathak quest personalizes his items in his girlfriend's name.... :eek:

Kitteh and Zyr like this.