Green with Envy II Tournament

Es Mors

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Green with Envy II Tournament

Ok glad i seen the new rule before starting, but your merc wouldnt necessarily be weaponless, they could find a nice etheral item with sockets and put Pefect emaralds in. Im sure everyone realized it, but the way you said they go weaponless might not sound right.
That wouldn't qualify as a "green" item. It has to be a set item, as in the name of the item has to be green.

Hoop76

Diabloii.Net Member

nevermind i thought the part in the rules where he said you can use white or gray items until you find the set type for that spot meant mercs too.

slayer37

Diabloii.Net Member

Ok glad i seen the new rule before starting, but your merc wouldnt necessarily be weaponless, they could find a nice etheral item with sockets and put Pefect emaralds in. Im sure everyone realized it, but the way you said they go weaponless might not sound right.
Yes they will. The rule states that once you find at least 3 set weapons (no matter the type), you are required to equip the set weapons (main, switch and your merc's weapon slot). If you find for example Cathan's staff, Mavina's Bow and Sander's wand (which no merc could equip), you are forced to remove that eth socketed weapon from merc making him/her weaponless throughout the game.

DuesNox

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Name        Character    Class      Area             Level    Points 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bassano         envylord     Necro      Spider Forest   25       24
EmperorMoo      Monster      Necro      Lut Gholein     19        9
Es Mors         Kelkis       Necro      Lut Gholein     16        9
DuesNox         MutNinjaTurt Assassin   Lut Gholein     20        5
Arkansaw        Sincro       Necro      Burial Grounds   8        1
Morathi         Cosi         Druid      Rogue Camp       1        0
Brakstav        ?            Sorceress  Rogue Camp       1        0
Slayer37        ?            Assassin   Rogue Camp       1        0
jiansonz        Allisandrina Assassin   Rogue Camp       1        0
Low Key         Avarice      Assassin   Rogue Camp       1        0
Hoop76          ?            ?????      Rogue Camp       1        0
howdidigethere  Mikey        Paladin    Rogue Camp       1        0
Ikeren          Javazon      Amazon     Rogue Camp       1        0
Derivial        Zealot       Paladin    Rogue Camp       1        0
Road Ratt       Rebel Jen    Amazon     Cold Plains      6       -2
sequana         Filip        Necro      Cold Plains      7       -3
linkato1        Albert       Paladin    Black Marsh     15       -4
Profound        Roy          Barbarian  Black Marsh     15       -4
jgreg7          Venus        Sorceress  Dark Wood       14       -4
Ikuze           H-lessChick  Amazon     Rogue Camp      12       -5
Barkstav        Dorothea     Sorc       Stony Field     12       -5
Added you in as well Es Mors. figured I'd let you know that you'd have 10 waypoints at Lut Gholein, bringing you to 9 points total.

10 waypoints = 10
6 quests completed = 12
1 set item equipped = 3
Level 20 = -20
Total = 5

My Assassin had the misfortune of going through all of act1 without one set or unique drop. Luckily Andy dropped a pair of gloves, only to have the misfortune of recieving Cleclaws. Knockback on a melee assassin... Act 2 will be wonderful. I saved all decent health potions in my stash for Andy at player 8 and even saved a nice combat shrine on cats level 3, so taking her down wasn't much of a problem.

Last edited:

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes they will. The rule states that once you find at least 3 set weapons (no matter the type), you are required to equip the set weapons (main, switch and your merc's weapon slot). If you find for example Cathan's staff, Mavina's Bow and Sander's wand (which no merc could equip), you are forced to remove that eth socketed weapon from merc making him/her weaponless throughout the game.
Spot on again Slayer37 :thumbsup:.

I hope everyone has looked at the new rule change on the previous page. If not look!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink3:.

And also another reminder on posting tables, please make sure that you update previous contestants progress.

Thanks guys.

Hopefully that is it as far as rule changes and questions go. Now lets get green :azn:.

Profound

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
DuesNox         MutNinjaTurt Assassin   Lut Gholein     20        5
Profound        Roy          Barbarian  Lut Gholein     20        5
Brakstav        ?            Sorceress  Rogue Camp       1        0
Road Ratt       Rebel Jen    Amazon     Cold Plains      6       -2
sequana         Filip        Necro      Cold Plains      7       -3
Barkstav        Dorothea     Sorc       Stony Field     12       -5
Well, that was one of the longest Act 1 normals ive ever experienced, with Roy taking the opportunity to hork (lvl 6) pretty much every single enemy he killed. I picked up a pair of hsarus boots in the Cathedral which sped the process up a bit. I also found a pretty nice low level helm which i was sad to let go of.

Unfortunately I can only see things getting tougher from here on. Once (if) a Civerb's cudgel drops I should be set for a while, however I'm pretty sure Roy's going to have to eventually revert to the role of a shoddy imitation singer and back up the Merc while he does the dirty work. In this case I'm tempted to go with a trusty old Cold Iron Wolf (fond memories from flayer runs) however, that will mean almost guaranteed corpse disposal. :scratch: Most likely I'll test out fire and lightning wolves and use them as long as possible before I come crawling back to Mr. Anti-find item.

bassano

Diabloii.Net Member

Wow. That makes you 1 of a kind. Usually people go /p8 most of the way and then switch to /p1 in problem areas (like maggot lair for skelliemancer). You give new meaning to the word persistence. :thumbsup:

IMO, they (act bosses and tough super uniques) should have more quality drops when you spend more time taking them down. I mean they should really give points for effort and not the other way around. :grin:

I use p8 all act and in problematic area switch to p1 but I write it bad beacuse my english is bad :grin:

Road Ratt

Diabloii.Net Member

I've gone green, twice! :grin:

Rebel Jen grabbed a 2 os mace early on and slowly filled it with chipped emeralds, with her trusty merc by her side she took down act 1 with ease. Act 1 was played at p8 and andy was at p3.

13 waypoints = 13
7 quests completed = 14
2 set items equipped = 6
Level 23 = -23
Total = 10

Halls of the Dead, Lev. 23, 10 points

linkato1

Banned

I foresee people using Act3 mercs since they don't rely on the weapon like casters so this maybe a good way to go differently this time around.
Not to mention that Act 3 mercs allow for 3 more points. :wink3:

Topi

sequana

Diabloii.Net Member

Filip, Necromancer, Act II normal-Dry Hills, level 21, points 6

lvl 21..............-21
Qs 7................14
WPs 13............13
greens 0........... 0
---------------------
Total ............. 6

I am pleasantly surprised how funny and up to now easy is to play necro, this is my first seriously played necromancer in my path :smiley:.
I also play /p8, and in problematic areas /p1 or /p3. And I decided to not use ATMA as extended stash, but only for muling-off. I play this way all my HC chars and somehow I enjoy it more this way.

Found only one nice item (= HC eth grailer :wink3:), unfortunatelly in this tourney worthless:

Pelta Lunata
Buckler
Defense: 43
Chance to Block: 40%
Smite Damage: 1 to 3
Durability: 15 of 15
Required Strength: 2
Required Level: 2
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0xce5c2665
+2 to Strength
+10 to Energy
+10 to Vitality
+30% Enhanced Defense
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
+30 Defense
+8 Maximum Durability
40% Faster Block Rate
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Denton

Diabloii.Net Member

Seems like a nice and challenging tournament. Good luck to everyone.

After going through the rules and the rule changes for quite a long while, a "few" things were left unclear to me and so I decided to ask for clarification. I'm sorry if any of these questions have already been answered in one way or another, I did read the rules through multiple times, but such "complex" rules confuse me easily. : |
The rules are changing to what Jiansonz suggest.

Once you have 3+ set weapons:
* if none of the set weapons are usable by your merc, the merc must go weaponless for the time being
* if you do have a set weapon usable by your merc (bow, polearm or sword) but you chose to travel with the merc type that cannot use it, that merc must go weaponless.

If you later find a suitable merc weapon, he/she can equip it right away.
1) Despite the revisal of the merc weapon rule, does the original merc re-hire rule still apply in its entirety?

The follow-up questions to 1) (1.1 and 1.2) only apply if the answer to 1) is not a clear yes, otherwise please skip them:
1.1) For example: On Normal difficulty, I have an Act 1 merc, then I re-hire an Act 2 merc, still on Normal, but I do not have a suitable weapon for him, does the re-hired merc have to remain weaponless throughout Normal, even if later on on Normal I find a suitable weapons for him?

1.2) Due to the revisal of the merc weapon rule, is it allowed to swap merc at will, from any difficulty and Act, and freely equip him/her with a set weapon, as long as he/she is equipped with a set item, unless of course he/she cannot equip any of the set weapons found so far due to requirements?

2) Going by the rules, I assume that merc armor and helmet can be swapped between character and stash/inventory at will, as long as they are set items (and found by the same character in game of course). Is this correct?

2.1) Are weapons allowed to be switched in the same manner as suggested in 2)?

3) The following question assumes that weapons and armor are allowed to be switched around freely. In case I already have 3 or more set weapons or 2 or more set helmets (at least one for each slot), can I take priority for my character over my merc when choosing a piece of equipment, even if it means that the merc would have to go without an item for that slot due to requirements?

(continuation to 3)) For example: I happen to have a high strength character, and I have 2 high strength requirement weapons which I can equip and the merc cannot due to the str requirement. But I also have 1 low strength requirement weapon, which the merc could equip. Could I equip the 1 low str req item in addition to 1 of the high str req items on my character, even though this would leave the mercenary weaponless for the time being?

4) Is Save&Exit to escape death allowed? If yes, this would mean having to potentially re-run an area, which is not allowed by the rules, would it still be ok?

4.1) What about Save&Exit to re-roll monsters? For example if such immunities and modifiers spawn on some monsters that it absolutely makes it impossible to proceed without a Save&Exit or ten, Ancients comes to mind. Re-rolling the monsters/monsters' mods would mean potentially having to re-run an area.

4.1.1) If it is allowed to re-roll and because of that re-run an area if necessary, what is the threshold for allowing it? For example, is 10 packs of Extra Fast Conviction Aura Enchanted Burning Souls a reason enough to allow to re-roll? That would be a situation that is theoretically possible to pass through, but could be near impossible in practice with an untwinked character. Or would that practice be only limited to completely impossible to pass situation, like Ancients that cannot be hurt?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

4.1) What about Save&Exit to re-roll monsters? For example if such immunities and modifiers spawn on some monsters that it absolutely makes it impossible to proceed without a Save&Exit or ten, Ancients comes to mind. Re-rolling the monsters/monsters' mods would mean potentially having to re-run an area.
Ancients are a special case, since you do not need to Save and Exit to reroll them. Just open a Town Portal, and have another go at them...

4.1.1) If it is allowed to re-roll and because of that re-run an area if necessary, what is the threshold for allowing it? For example, is 10 packs of Extra Fast Conviction Aura Enchanted Burning Souls a reason enough to allow to re-roll? That would be a situation that is theoretically possible to pass through, but could be near impossible in practice with an untwinked character. Or would that practice be only limited to completely impossible to pass situation, like Ancients that cannot be hurt?
I always decide beforehand that "I am going to clear this area this session". Then it´s simply "do or die" for me...
I most cases, I allow myself to Save & Exit if I get into a serious jam when I am starting a gaming session in an area I have already cleared, and I just want to move to the next area. If the saving system had been more forthcoming to us 'single pass players', those monsters shouldn´t have been there in the first place.

Brakstav

Diabloii.Net Member

I most cases, I allow myself to Save & Exit if I get into a serious jam when I am starting a gaming session in an area I have already cleared, and I just want to move to the next area. If the saving system had been more forthcoming to us 'single pass players', those monsters shouldn´t have been there in the first place.
I have never used this myself, I guess I never thought about it before I read about not being allowed doing it in the rules of one of the tournament here. But this reminds me about a slightly hairy episode where I was running from the NM Flayer Jungle WP towards Lower Kurast, I had been forced to finish just outside Lower Kurast the session before. I was a Barb with both a high level Howl, Leap Attack, and even Grim Ward, so I felt rather safe.

Very well, halfway through, it was just flayers btw, I decided to run over a bridge, and got massively surrounded halfway over. No probs. Just to jump over the lot. But Leap Attack did not work. What? Howl! Goddamn, they are so densely packed that it doesn't help. TP? Not a chance in the world. I finally made it out with ~100 health left and no potions.

I went back to town and ran out in the jungle to test Leap Attack, and it was still bugged. I could not jump. I have never experienced this before, but I am not a very experienced Barb player either. Anyway, that was a situation where I would certainly have felt ok with a S&E.

Denton

Diabloii.Net Member

Just a few minutes late to edit this into my previous post...
Ancients are a special case, since you do not need to Save and Exit to reroll them. Just open a Town Portal, and have another go at them...
Yeah of course... How did I forget that. It's the multitude of rules that interact with each other, I get confused and forget simple things. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. /spam

And about what Brakstav said, a necessary skill breaking/bugging is what I would justify as a reason enough to S&E even if I was going single-pass, unless it would happen in a tournament where it was forbidden by the rules. That makes another question for this tournament, I guess: Is it ok to S&E to fix a bugged skill?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

I have never used this myself, I guess I never thought about it before I read about not being allowed doing it in the rules of one of the tournament here.
Having said what I did in my last post, I like to point out that I have almost never felt a need for this.

In my "own" S/U Worshipper tournament, I wrote a special paragraph that allowed S&E during the "transport" to a new area.

Brakstav

Diabloii.Net Member

Having said what I did in my last post, I like to point out that I have almost never felt a need for this.

In my "own" S/U Worshipper tournament, I wrote a special paragraph that allowed S&E during the "transport" to a new area.
I tihnk it is a very good idea actually. I just have to remember doing it. :thumbsup:

Brakstav

Diabloii.Net Member

I took Dorothea out for a spin tonight, burned some leather shoes, you know. Anyway, I am not used to using Blaze and it is not too easy. I am still learning the moves. I have also come to the conclusion that she probably wont live very long; the lack of resists in combination with Blazing will surely kill her rather soon if I am not lucky with equipment.

She had a near death experience in the Underground Passage, where a boss pack of skeleton archers came from nowhere and did some heavy damage, but other than that everything has gone rather well. She found Cleglaw's Claw in teh Underground Passage Level 2. Very nice! It will be good vs. Andariel, and the partial and full set is really excellent for early game. So I have been gambling chain gloves, but without success.

I also gamled for Arctic Bindings, but got a Snakecord instead. Heh.

I have found some emeralds, but am waiting for a slightly better bow before I socket. Also one green jewel, with 6 to life.

I rescued Cain, and finished with the Dark Woods WP, which lies just at the entrance to Black Marsh. So:

Level: -15p
Quests: 6p
Waypoints: 4p
Greens: 3p
Total: -2p

Dorothea, Sorceress, Dark Woods, level 15 points -2

DuesNox

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
DuesNox         MutNinjaTurt Assassin   Kurast Docks    25       23
Road Ratt       Rebel Jen    Amazon     Halls ~ Dead    23       10
sequana         Filip        Necro      Dry Hills       21        6
Barkstav        Dorothea     Sorc       Dark Woods      15       -2
Sorry if I missed anyone

level 25 = -25
q's 12 = 24
wps 18 = 18
greens 2 = 6
total= 23

Act 2 was pretty uneventful besides a couple of close calls in the tomb. I wouldn't even touch the beetles with almost no lightning resist and had my merc handle all of them. I found another set item, this time pretty early on, turned out to be an arctic belt. Finished at Kurast Docks.

Goodluck to the rest.

P.S. Almost missed you Brak =)

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Name            Character    Class      Area          Level    Points 
DuesNox         MutNinjaTurt Assassin   Kurast Docks    25       23
Road Ratt       Rebel Jen    Amazon     Halls ~ Dead    23       10
sequana         Filip        Necro      Dry Hills       21        6
erimatbrad	Futility     Sorc       Rogue Camp       1        0
Barkstav        Dorothea     Sorc       Dark Woods      15       -2
Though I may regret it, especially with this ridiculous character build choice...

Please welcome Futility, the set wielding enchantress. I imagine 20 in Enchant and warmth, 20 in static field, and if enchant helps it, 20 points in fire mastery...

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Though I may regret it, especially with this ridiculous character build choice...

Please welcome Futility, the set wielding enchantress. I imagine 20 in Enchant and warmth, 20 in static field, and if enchant helps it, 20 points in fire mastery...
Interesting choice. :wink3:

Fire Mastery has two sides to this build. First, it boosts the damage of Enchant itself (this works with ranged weapons and for any weapon-using merc as well). Second, if the Sorceress hits with a melee attack, Fire Mastery will boost the fire damage from all of her equipment (including the Enchanted weapon (which works just like any weapon with fire damage in this regard), and stuff like fire damage charms, etc)