Green with Envy II Tournament

slayer37

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Green with Envy II Tournament

You seem to have failed using my updated table twice :cry:, so I will just add this line here for a hopeful future inclusion:

Brakstav Dorothea Sorceress Stony Field 12 -5
You should put your updates in <highlight>update here</highlight> so that it is easier for the one who will be updating the table for the next page. Be sure to replace <> with []. :thumbsup: with the progress.

@ linkato1

You are allowed to go back to previous acts/difficulties as you wish for shopping / merc. That rule did not intend to allow people from returning to finish quests.

DuesNox

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Name        Character    Class      Area             Level    Points 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
EmperorMoo      Monster      Necro      Lut Gholein      19       9
Arkansaw        Sincro       Necro      Burial Grounds   8        1
Morathi         Cosi         Druid      Rogue Camp       1        0
Brakstav        ?            Sorceress  Rogue Camp       1        0
Slayer37        ?            Assassin   Rogue Camp       1        0
jiansonz        Allisandrina Assassin   Rogue Camp       1        0
Low Key         Avarice      Assassin   Rogue Camp       1        0
Hoop76          ?            ?????      Rogue Camp       1        0
jgreg7          ?            Sorceress  Rogue Camp       1        0
howdidigethere  Mikey        Paladin    Rogue Camp       1        0
Ikeren          Javazon      Amazon     Rogue Camp       1        0
DuesNox         MutNinjaTurt Assassin   Rogue Camp	 1        0
Es Mors         Kelkis       Necro      Burial Grounds   7        -1
Road Ratt       Rebel Jen    Amazon     Cold Plains      6        -2
Bassano         envylord     Necro      Dark Wood        13       -3
sequana         Filip        Necro      Cold Plains      7        -3
linkato1        Albert       Paladin    Black marsh      15       -4
Profound        Roy          Barbarian  Black Marsh      15       -4
Ikuze           H-lessChick  Amazon     Rogue Camp       12       -5
Barkstav        Dorothea     Sorc       Stony Field      12       -5
Edited to add other two. I will edit with mine in a second.

Horribly excited, one of my favorite tourneys.

Brakstav

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi Morathi,

after rereading the rules, I am still a bit uncertain about the merc one. In the first post you write:

[*]Green weapons you find can be used towards any of the three weapon slots (primary, switch, merc) at your choice. The third green weapon you find must fill the last slot. If your merc cannot equip any of the three, he/she must go weaponless. You cannot however swap your merc to overcome this, but when you reach the next difficulty you may decide to re-hire your merc (same or different type). When you re-hire your merc if you have saved a set weapon that he/she can equip then you must equip it on your merc. If you don’t have a saved weapon then your merc must go weaponless until a set weapon drops that your merc can equip.
This seems to mean that if I have already found an axe and a staff, for example, and then find a scepter, I can not use a merc with a weapon at all during the whole of Normal, no matter what weapons I find later/mercs I have later. When entering Nightmare, I can then choose to rehire any merc, and if I have found any usable weapon, he/she can have that. If I still haven't found one, I can still hire him/her, and am then allowed to arm him/her if I find a weapon he/she can use.

Further, if I have hired an act 2 weaponless merc in Normal, and then find a sword, I am allowed to change mercs in Act 3, but I am not allowed to arm the Act 3 merc with the sword until NM Act 3, when I rehire him.

Is this what you mean? And is there a specific reason that we are not allowed to hire weaponless mercs, e.g. in Act 3 Normal, and then arm him if we find a sword, just as we would in NM?

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member

Introducing Venus, the green celestial orb. (Since this is my first real sorc, I’m sticking with a conventional Meteorb build.) She’s off to a decent start, but no green items yet. Instead she’s wailing away with her chipped emerald-filled staff, while the merc plucks away on a three emerald bow.

I enjoy Act 1 normal, since levels come quickly and new skills are constantly becoming available. When starting a new character I almost always push through until Cain is free. With Venus, though, I don’t as much joy in seeing new magic items drop. :undecided:

Code:
EmperorMoo      Monster      Necro      Lut Gholein     19        9
DuesNox         MutNinjaTurt Assassin   Rogue Camp       1        0
Es Mors         Kelkis       Necro      Burial Grounds   7       -1
Road Ratt       Rebel Jen    Amazon     Cold Plains      6       -2
Bassano         envylord     Necro      Dark Wood       13       -3
sequana         Filip        Necro      Cold Plains      7       -3
linkato1        Albert       Paladin    Black Marsh     15       -4
Profound        Roy          Barbarian  Black Marsh     15       -4
jgreg7          Venus        Sorceress  Dark Wood       14       -4
Ikuze           H-lessChick  Amazon     Rogue Camp      12       -5
Barkstav        Dorothea     Sorc       Stony Field     12       -5

DuesNox

Diabloii.Net Member

Done for now

MutNinjaTurt, Assassin, Black Marsh, level 15, points -2

lvl 15 = -15 points
4 Quests = 8 points
5 WP's = 5 points
0 greens = 0 points
Total = -2

Goodluck to the rest of you.

Ikuze

Diabloii.Net Member

Ikuze,H-lessChick, Amazon,Lut Gohlein,20,0

Still not a single green item!! I've got 3, yes 3 uniqes but not a single green in a total clear on p8 of the first act?? grrrrr....

So we have to actually use the imbue quest to get the points for the quest yeah? ( I haven't counted the 2 for tools of the trade quest in the above..)

I'm already quaing at the thought of Duriel, oh oh!!

Iuze

Arkansaw

Banned

Not much really happened after a nice green drop, Andariel gave me 2x failed uniques in the form of 2x dirks...just disappointing. Imbued wirt's leg just for...nothing. (hint for the others who haven't 'finished' the imbue quest xD) Act 2 will take longer and I won't have the time for it over the next few days, plus I also need to do something about the lightning resists. I just realize it's quite hard to get resists apart from charms, so I can't just charge blindly into archer and scarab packs like I used to....on normal difficulty anyway.

Edit: cleared the sewers and Radament too....I guess that's all I'll do tonight. Hopefully the next session will be more fruitful in terms of set items

Sincro the Necro, Lut Gholein, level 21, points = 7

Level 21............................-21
7 Quests Completed..............14
11 Waypoints found..............11
1 Set Item equipped...............3
-------------------------------
Total: ........... 7

Last edited:

Road Ratt

Diabloii.Net Member

O.K., after taking several hours to figure this out I'm going with a valkazon. It's the only build/character I haven't played too recently that I have a decent understanding of how to build.

She's at the same spot as my first update and has the same name so no need to change anything until my next update. :prop:

Derivial

Diabloii.Net Member

My first tournament

Code:
Bassano         envylord     Necro      Dark Wood       13       -3
Derivial        Zealot       Paladin    Rogue Camp       1        0

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

In this tourney, imbue is only good for a little more money. The socket reward has good potential, though. I don´t really like that we are forced to use the first socket reward already before starting NM, but that´s the way the cookie crumbles...
Yeh i decided to keep that rule from the last tourney. And with Imbue it may be useless but Jiansonz has a very good point. It provides you with more gambling money and also is there any loss in actually doing the imbue quest?...not really.

This seems to mean that if I have already found an axe and a staff, for example, and then find a scepter, I can not use a merc with a weapon at all during the whole of Normal, no matter what weapons I find later/mercs I have later. When entering Nightmare, I can then choose to rehire any merc, and if I have found any usable weapon, he/she can have that. If I still haven't found one, I can still hire him/her, and am then allowed to arm him/her if I find a weapon he/she can use.
By axe and staff i supose you mean a set axe and a set staff? then yes that is correct. Once you find your 3rd set weapon if your merc cannot equip it (ex you have a rogue merc and you find a set sword), then your merc must go weaponless throughout the remainder of normal. You may at your own wish swap merc types however it will remain weaponless regardless if you found a suitable set weapon. When you enter NM you may choose to re-hire your merc (same or different type). When you purchase your new merc if you have a suitable set weapon in your stash (a set sword for your act 3 merc) then you must equip it onto him/her. If you dont have a set weapon for your merc then he/she must go weaponless until a suitable one drops.

Further, if I have hired an act 2 weaponless merc in Normal, and then find a sword, I am allowed to change mercs in Act 3, but I am not allowed to arm the Act 3 merc with the sword until NM Act 3, when I rehire him.
Correct :thumbsup:.

Is this what you mean? And is there a specific reason that we are not allowed to hire weaponless mercs, e.g. in Act 3 Normal, and then arm him if we find a sword, just as we would in NM?
I based it on the original tournament. It was like this, however i have made it easier as i have allowed you a second chance to equip your merc with a weapon. In the first tournament once your merc was weaponless, it would be weaponless for the whole game.

Edit- Please when posting tables that you update previous peoples progress.

Thank you.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

I based it on the original tournament. It was like this, however i have made it easier as i have allowed you a second chance to equip your merc with a weapon. In the first tournament once your merc was weaponless, it would be weaponless for the whole game.
I do not remember it like this at all (have to check to make sure).

The only thing I remember was that once you had 3+ set weapons:
* if none of the set weapons were usable by a merc, the merc had to be weaponless for the time being
* if you did have a set weapon usable by a merc (bow, polearm or sword) but you chose to travel with a merc type that could not use it, that merc had to go weaponless

If you later found a suitable merc weapon, he/she could equip it right away.

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

* if none of the set weapons were usable by a merc, the merc had to be weaponless for the time being
* if you did have a set weapon usable by a merc (bow, polearm or sword) but you chose to travel with a merc type that could not use it, that merc had to go weaponless

Maybe i am thinking about something else :embarassed:.

Anyway i feel the rule i have placed is fine and it looks like a good challange. Also i didn't want to make it an exact mirror image of the last tournament, so having a bit of diversity seems appropriate.

slayer37

Diabloii.Net Member

That actually makes more sense. I don't see the logic of letting the merc go weaponless if there is a suitable set weapon he/she could use. However, if you find 3x set weapons that a particular merc could not use and you still opt to keep his/her services then you are forced to have the merc go weaponless.

edit:
@ Morathi

Hehehe... this is going to be one tough journey. We are already severely constrained with items going untwinked and only set items. We would probably have no MF to speak of thus lessening the amount of set items to be found in game. The merc will in all likelihood be pretty much useless because of no decent weapon to use (I can't think of any set spear/polearm aside from Hwanin's) making the heavily favored Act2 mercs in a disadvantage. I foresee people using Act3 mercs since they don't rely on the weapon like casters so this maybe a good way to go differently this time around.

edit2:
Alright! Way to go Morathi! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

That actually makes more sense. I don't see why letting the merc go weaponless if there is a suitable set weapon he/she could use. However, if you find 3x set weapons that a particular merc could not use and you still opt to keep his/her services then you are forced to have the merc go weaponless.
So do you think i should change the rules to that (what Jiansonz said). Or is it to late? because if you guys really want it i will change the rules. Only problem is, will everyone read it and notice the rule change?

EDIT- ALRIGHT ALRIGHT.................

The rules are changing to what Jiansonz suggest.

Once you have 3+ set weapons:
* if none of the set weapons are usable by your merc, the merc must go weaponless for the time being
* if you do have a set weapon usable by your merc (bow, polearm or sword) but you chose to travel with the merc type that cannot use it, that merc must go weaponless.

If you later find a suitable merc weapon, he/she can equip it right away.

I hope everyone in the tournament sees this :undecided:.

Last edited:

bassano

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Bassano         envylord     Necro      Spider Forest   25       24
Derivial        Zealot       Paladin    Rogue Camp       1        0
I just completed act I and II and so far is nice fun playing with my skelies army. I play p8 only in problematic areas (maggots lair etc.) I use p1. I have some little problems somewhere in desert but my merc resolve it immediatelly. I found for him nice eth. 3os voulge and for now he is my best killing machine. When I go through actI I have some problems with imbecility and I forgot kill coldcrow for try find some TC3. Then when I go to andy I use p1 beacuse I think that if I kill her fast without much pain she give me some reward for it but she is thankless.
When Act II started my necro have some fear from resist but my minions protect me good from some arrows near radament and bolts in desert. In arcane sanctuary I found summoner for fourth attempt (I have luck that there are only four ways). Then before killing summoner I started to fell some fear from duriel but when I approach his chamber it was nice theather (I have ticket near fight place). Duriel dropped me a nice reward beacuse I was very good fan when he fight againist group of my friends.
Then I think that is time to sleep but I only try start of act III see how interesting could be my adventure in jungle beacuse I like jungle from my 5 years. And then I only take eye of some strange man about him speak me one old man which I rescue in tristram and from there I can not gett off him.
Now I am prepared for another fight with my destiny.

My scoring system:

Level 25............................-25
13 Quests Completed.............26
20 Waypoints found..............20
1 Set Item equipped...............3
-------------------------------
Total: ........... 24

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

The merc will in all likelihood be pretty much useless because of no decent weapon to use (I can't think of any set spear/polearm aside from Hwanin's) making the heavily favored Act2 mercs in a disadvantage. I foresee people using Act3 mercs since they don't rely on the weapon like casters so this maybe a good way to go differently this time around.
Mercs will not be useless, but they are much less of a force than usual in this tourney.

Act II mercs still have their auras, and (sadly enough) will do more damage weaponless than a rogue or barbarian with a weapon (unless the barb gets one of the elite swords). Different tactics than usual will be required, because you can´t rely on life steal to keep these mercs alive.

Act III mercs will do the most damage (unless you find an elite sword or Hwanin´s Justice)

Rogues can be handy for lowering enemy defense, and they can be kept away from trouble in most fights. The Cold variant is interesting since it´s the only merc that will provide both chilling and help for character/minions to hit.

Barbarians are probably hard to keep ailve if they only have a Normal set sword, but they often go into Stun/Bash sequences that may subdue a tough boss if you are lucky.

Oh yeah, my assassin Allisandrina is about to enter Stony Field. She reached level 12.4 up to this point; the highest I have even managed at this stage of the game.

slayer37

Diabloii.Net Member

I just completed act I and II and so far is nice fun playing with my skelies army. I play p8 only in problematic areas (maggots lair etc.) I use p1.
Wow. That makes you 1 of a kind. Usually people go /p8 most of the way and then switch to /p1 in problem areas (like maggot lair for skelliemancer). You give new meaning to the word persistence. :thumbsup:

bassano said:
Then when I go to andy I use p1 beacuse I think that if I kill her fast without much pain she give me some reward for it but she is thankless.
IMO, they (act bosses and tough super uniques) should have more quality drops when you spend more time taking them down. I mean they should really give points for effort and not the other way around. :grin:

Es Mors

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I've done act 1, where I saw only one green item drop - cleglaw's shield. Gheed is not a nice fellow at all, having taken all my hard-earned money and given nothing in return. Coldcrow only dropped me a unique, which didn't even have the decency to be a gull. Summed up, I'm having a blast! :grin:

Es Mors, Kelkis, Necro, Lut Gholein, Level 16, Points = 8

9 waypoints = 9
6 quests completed = 12
1 set item equipped = 3
Level 16 = -16
Total = 8

Hoop76

Diabloii.Net Member

Ok glad i seen the new rule before starting, but your merc wouldnt necessarily be weaponless, they could find a nice etheral item with sockets and put Pefect emaralds in. Im sure everyone realized it, but the way you said they go weaponless might not sound right.