Green with Envy II Tournament

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Green with Envy II Tournament

This is great, sequana!

Just watch out with those spear-slinging cats and do not move too far ahead of your army in the WSK and in the ice caves, and you have a good chance to make it all the way.

sequana

Diabloii.Net Member

Just watch out with those spear-slinging cats and do not move too far ahead of your army in the WSK and in the ice caves, and you have a good chance to make it all the way.
Thanks, and yes, I met those cats and lot of archers. But I was quite careful, so at most they broke Filip's bone armor.

Filip, Necromancer, Act V Hell – Frozen Tundra, level 79, points 223

lvl 79................-79
Qs 78...............156
WPs 113..............113
greens 11............ 33
-----------------------
Total ........... 223

Filip managed to reach Frozen Tundra WP.

Progressing through Frigid highlands was rather slow, but at least without serious danger. We met my least favourite monsters here – slingers, vile archers and skeletons archers, but thanks to big army, Filip didn’t become target for any evil arrow. Crystalline passage wasn’t too bad (Snow drifters - quite easy to kill), but even not too pleasant (PI ghosts). Filip was forced to find as first Glacial Trail WP (there was easier to re-build army), but this WP wasn’t well placed so in the end we also had to find frozen Tundra WP (because of „not-rerunning rule“).
Before entering to the Frozen River I felt like in lottery – gloams = very likely death, no gloams = nice way. Gladly there weren’t gloams, but also it wasn’t nice way at all. Bone mages froze Filip’s army and sirens were succesfully killing merc, annoying, boring, took ages. I was already quite exhausted from such long session, but still there was need to reach Crystaline passage WP. Filip cleared whole map and it was obvious that WP is surrounded by two unpleasant bosspacks of ghosts. Gladly we managed to separate them, kill some of minions, lured out one boss with HF aura and quickly reach WP -> town –> end for today :).

unique ring (bleh, Manald)
sweet-sour drop
sirens
archers in tundra

Edit:

Please, do you anyone have some advice or tips how to beat ancients. (This is my first summoner necro playing in SP game.) I guess spam decrepify and clay golem as usual :).

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Please, do you anyone have some advice or tips how to beat ancients. (This is my first summoner necro playing in SP game.) I guess spam decrepify and clay golem as usual :).
I like Iron Maiden + golem. They hit pretty hard, and the Hell versions do not have much physical resistance (unless they spawn PI). If you have Revive, bring some tanks from the Ancients´Way.

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I know I said I wouldn't be playing Pepper for a while, but I decided to play one session after accidentally loading her instead of my Midas zon. Errant character selection is hardly a stranger to me, I've done it several times before. :azn:

Anyway, out we headed into the Blood Moor, where even the quill rats gave me trouble. Pratham has precious little tanking power; it is Pepper's duty to overwhelm all non-FIs with immediate and well-placed Meteors. If I miss, then I usually have to teleport to save the merc, and reset. FI Fallen were handled by teleporting near the shamen for quick kills. Long-range static helped a lot for maintaining flexible positions.

Inside the Cave, rapid bombardment was more important than ever against the powerful foes. Everything Pepper does involves a frantic blitzing attack style. But at least it works well. Meteors + residual flames + teleports kept the monsters burning. In some regards Pepper uses a "Blaze" strategy when it suits, especially against archers. Coldcrow sort of got hung up on some rocks and was easily targeted.

Blood Raven's entire zombie mob quickly fell in a massive heap of broken bodies. It was a highlight of Pepper's career. Raven herself was, for some mysterious reason, helplessly pinned against her sickly tree. She never moved an inch. Her rapid demise ensured an unbelievably swift, efficient, and lucky clear of the graveyard. It barely took 10 seconds. I will remember that and smile when my next character has to chase her around for 5 minutes.

I had been playing at p1, but I increased to p7 for the Mausoleum and Crypt. The first was cleared cleanly. Pratham got into frequent trouble requiring teleports, however, the slow undead were unable to rush us, nor escape the flames. We scoffed at PILI zombies. My experience bar was shooting upwards. Plenty of elite loot dropped, but no greens other than an Arctic Belt.

The Crypt was progressing nicely, Pepper soon leveled past 76 and was on pace to gain perhaps another half-level. Bonebreaker fortunately did not spawn FI, and was easily killed. His intersection was a hot-spot. Two additional boss packs were converging on the area. The timing was nice, both mobs seemed destined to meet Pratham at the same time. I laid out a barrage of Meteors. However, the scene quickly became treacherous as multiple LE bolts snaked around us. I retreated a little, when suddenly massive pulses of damage ripped through Pepper. She was slain by Sharp Drool the Slasher, an evil master of tri-elemental energy. Perhaps Pepper was a bit over-confident as she tore through the area, or maybe there were too many obscured graphics on the screen amidst the flames. It's likely there was some mysterious "proximity" damage common to multi-elemental CE bosses. The bottom line is, Pepper's 52/41/18 resists were no match for that type of power. Poor Pepper. :weep:
The sorceress death scream was quite a shock to me, although not as bad as the amazon's.

Conqueror Pepper, Fireball/Meteor/Static Sorc, RIP, level 76

Scoring:
Level 76 * -1 = -76
Waypoints 81 * 1 = 81
Quests 56 * 2 = 112
Greens 15 * 3 = 45

Total:162

Best of luck to sequana against the Ancients! :grin:

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh dam Wayne :(.

Sorry to see you go out this way, especially after an accidental miss click on Pepper instead of Ivory. To get this far anyway is an great achievement :thumbup:. I (and most likely everyone else) have enjoyed your write-ups and following your adventures.

Best of luck to Ivory and your future characters :nod:

@sequana. Good luck against the ancients and for the final trek towards guardianship. You deserve it :thumbup:.

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member

Argh! RIP Pepper. :cry: If she could take on Hell at /p7, she certainly had potential.

Venus came within a hair of joining Pepper and Allisandrina many times, but still survives. Right out of the gate the Bloody Foothills held Slingers, which hurt a lot! Fortunately she can laugh at Imps. The Socket quest went to Iratha’s Crown, which received the 23% resist fire jewel we had saved from Act III.

sequana said:
Before entering to the Frozen River I felt like in lottery – gloams = very likely death, no gloams = nice way.
You said it! Unfortunately, Venus was not as lucky as Filip. Two steps into the Frozen River we saw the familiar bolts approaching. Crap! OK, I thought, we can do this if we’re really careful. Venus did a lot of FO spamming, hiding behind corners, and teleporting to approach from different angles. The level also held Hell Temptresses, which didn’t help one bit. By themselves they aren’t terrible, but we had enough on our hands dealing with the first ranged attacker without adding another. Their stars stunlock Venus, making her a sitting duck for the Gloams. Many times I though Venus was a goner, but she managed to pull herself out of the line of fire By the time she made it to Anya, we had gone though 25 Full rejuvs and countless resurrections. Only four partial rejuvs were left in her belt, and no more in the stash. It was worth it, though. With Malah’s scroll Venus’ resists are 62/75/29/-62

Down into the Halls we went, to meet Razor Spines, Grotesques, and Heirophants. The Razor Spines were unbelievably tough! (-62% poison resist probably had a lot to do with that, eh?) We could only face one or two at a time before falling back to recover. Mostly that meant trips to town every 15 seconds. Scrolls are ten times cheaper than potions, and our cash reserves are dwindling from all the resurrections.

Finally we made it to Nihlathak. I’ve almost never faced him in Hell, but had a healthy respect for his CE. Good thing, too, since he almost took Venus down using it. I had stationed her far from any corpses, but suddenly I heard the familiar noise and saw all the visible red disappear from her life orb! :surprise: Fortunately we had restocked Venus’ rejuv supply in between sessions, so she could gulp one down. In retaliation, she rained down Meteors on him as fast as she could until he was finished.

I now have serious doubts about our ability to face the ancients. First I need to let my blood pressure come down!

Venus, clvl 80, Score 235, Last WP: Frozen Tundra (H)

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Two additional boss packs were converging on the area. The timing was nice, both mobs seemed destined to meet Pratham at the same time. I laid out a barrage of Meteors. However, the scene quickly became treacherous as multiple LE bolts snaked around us. I retreated a little, when suddenly massive pulses of damage ripped through Pepper. She was slain by Sharp Drool the Slasher, an evil master of tri-elemental energy.
Ouch!

That was indeed some powerful elemental stuff. Getting good resists is hard in this tourney. Unless the set pieces really falls your way, charms have to do the main job there, and it isn´t easy for them.

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member
Venus vs. The Ancients

After about a dozen rerolls (no cursed or LI for us) and failed attempts, Venus and Mizan had a set of Ancients she was willing to face. After touching the altar, she teleported to the corner as fast as she could and then lured them over one at a time. First came Talic, extra fast, fire immune, and spectral hit. (Actually, since he was extra fast he came for them!) But he wasn’t immune to Static Field or Orb, so down he went. At this point she wondered, “could it actually be possible?â€

Next was Madawc, with an annoying mixture of cold immune, lightning immune, mana burn, and teleport. The mana burn meant Venus had to retreat practically any time he scored a hit, and he wouldn’t stand still long enough to beat on either. Fortunately in all the dancing back and forth there were times when Mizan could back Madawc against a wall and they could work on him until he teleported away. His poison hurt Mizan pretty bad, though, so by the time Madawc fell they had used up all the spare potions placed around the summit.

Last was Korlic. Cold immune, fire immune, cold enchanted, and fire enchanted. Venus could Static him down to half, but then it was all up to Mizan. I knew that perfect emerald would come in handy! The team would dash in, evade the Leap Attack, and then Mizan could trade a few hits until his life bar went yellow. Then Venus scurried back to one of the corners to wait while her mana and Mizan’s life regenerated. Rinse and repeat. Not fast or flashy, but it got the job done.

Venus kept way back when Mizan dealt the final blow. The irony of dying to Korlic’s CE+FE blast would have been too much to bear. I’ve noticed in the past that when the last Ancient falls the character will run over to stand on the corpse. This time Venus did the same, and it looked almost like a suicide attempt! Total time was about an hour, half for the first two and half for Korlic.

Baal, we’re coming for you!

Venus, clvl 81, Score 237, Last WP: Ancients' Way (H)

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member

Well-played against the Ancients jgreg7, divide and conquer! :thumbup:
Good luck with the final stretch.

Argh! RIP Pepper. :cry: If she could take on Hell at /p7, she certainly had potential.
Yes, against slow guaranteed non-FI monsters, Pepper could cope with p7. But that was likely going to be the only non-p1 area she would attempt. She definitely had potential though.

Ouch!

That was indeed some powerful elemental stuff. Getting good resists is hard in this tourney. Unless the set pieces really falls your way, charms have to do the main job there, and it isn´t easy for them.
I had a bad feeling when I cubed away every Pgem I had, and couldn't get a single resistance GC in double-digits. :unimpressed:
I'm OK with Pepper's manner of death. CEFELEs are a pretty rare breed, a worthy foe indeed. Still not as cool as your Gorebelly beat-down. :)

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Way to go Venus! She actually fougt an FE Ancient. Wow, I am impressed by your bravery, jgreg7.

Good luck in the last part. :thumbup:

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member

Way to go Venus! She actually fought an FE Ancient. Wow, I am impressed by your bravery, jgreg7.
Thanks, but it was still Mizan wielding the pokey poison stick. Venus just stood nearby, holding his coat tails and pulling him off to safety whenever he needed a break.

I had a bad feeling when I cubed away every Pgem I had, and couldn't get a single resistance GC in double-digits. :unimpressed:
You really couldn't catch a break, could you? Coincidentally, I just finished loading up Venus' stash with Pgems, myself! One way or the other, she won't need them after this week.

Thanks for the votes of confidence. I'll try not to let you down!

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member
Venus’ quest for Guardian

Venus used all her Pgems to reroll her latest Grand Charm, netting a 17% lightning resist for her effort. Off she went into the Worldstone Keep, only to find a champion pack of Vile Witches at the stairs. They have Amp Damage as their curse, which slapped Mizan down twice in quick succession. Fortunately that was their only trick, and eventually they went down.

And so did Venus, down to level 2. There she found Black Souls, but after her battle with Gloams they held no fear. (Well not as much, anyway.) Neither did the poison magi, although she had to pop to town after each hit to recover from their poison. Level 3 had sprites, Hell Temptresses, and Specters. All manageable, although she lost Mizan once after tagging an experience shrine and racing after some champion sprites.

Time for the Throne of Destruction. Venus walked right into a stair trap! Two Serpent Magi boss packs, one on each side, were waiting for her! Fortunately they were not cold immune, and she could pop back up the stairs if things got too heavy. When the dust (frost?) cleared, there was quite a pile of loot! There might have even been a third boss hiding around the corner, since it looked like three boss drops. [One of the drops was Langer Briser, which brought back memories of other tournaments.]

After clearing the entire area, we began meeting Baal’s minions. One by one we broke up their packs with teleport and tore them apart. One interesting discovery: the range of meteor is longer than the range of mummies’ magic attacks. Take that, Achmel! The only difficulty with Lister was that his pack had mana burn.

Finally it was on to Baal himself. He tried his best, but he was no match for this heroic duo. With his dying breath he spat up one last set item, but it was only the Angelic Mantle. He also gave up the Pierre Tombale Couant and Blastbark, but who wants those? :badteeth:

So at last I have my first guardian! :smug: I’ll post her stats a bit later. For now, though, she’s getting a well deserved rest.

Guardian Venus, clvl 81, Score 240

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Venus’ quest for Guardian

Hey that is fantastic! Great job getting past that Throne level stairtrap, because those viper charges can get ugly. I am glad we finally have a Guardian here! Congrats on your first guardian, I look forward to the final stat report. :thumbup:

Neither did the poison magi, although she had to pop to town after each hit to recover from their poison.
Bring a few antidotes in your pack/belt next time! :whistling:

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member
Venus' stats

Guardian Venus, meteorb sorc
Clvl: 81
Stats: 73/25/342/60
Resists: 62/75/46/-62 (mostly from a full inventory of charms)
Orb damage: 281-296
Meteor damage: 2558-2740
Mizan’s damage: 366-732

Venus’ green gear (14 items):
  • Iratha’s Coil + 23% fire resist jewel
  • Vidala’s Snare
  • Sander’s Superstition
  • Sigon’s Shelter
  • Milabrega’s Orb
  • Sigon’s Wrap
  • Vidala’s Fetlock
  • Iratha’s Cuff
  • Angelic Halo (2)
  • Arcanna’s Deathwand (switch)
  • Isenhart’s Horns [Mizan]
  • Hwanin’s Justice [Mizan] + perfect emerald
  • Hwanin’s Refuge[Mizan]
That’s the same gear she started Hell with, curse those bad drops!

Code:
Name            Character         Class      Area          Level    Points 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
jgreg7          Venus             Sorceress  Guardian        81      240
sequana         Filip             Necro      Frozen Tundra(H)79      223
Road Ratt       Rebel Jen         Amazon     Rogue Camp(H)   75      151
Slayer37        Bella             Assassin   Jail (NM)       51       86
Es Mors         Prisikelk         Necro      Arreat Summit   35       73
Profound        Roy               Barbarian  Lower Kurast    30       42
Jabari          Arimos            Druid      Palace Cellar   24       17
Barkstav        Dorothea          Sorceress  Lost City       25       12
Ikeren          Javazon           Amazon     Lut Gholein     25       12
EmperorMoo      Monster           Necro      Lut Gholein     19        9
Ikuze           H-lessChick       Amazon     Palace Cellar   25        7
Harrid          Veridian          Assassin   Halls o/t Dead  22        1
topoada         NaturalKingCole   Druid      Lut Gholein     20        1
Arkansaw        Sincro            Necro      Burial Grounds   8        1
Low Key         Avarice           Assassin   Rogue Camp       1        0
Hoop76          ?                 ?????      Rogue Camp       1        0
howdidigethere  Mikey             Paladin    Rogue Camp       1        0
Derivial        Zealot            Paladin    Rogue Camp       1        0
Soi Lo          Og                Barbarian  Rogue Camp       1        0
Turbocannon     Gaia              Assassin   Rogue Encampment 1        0
nilynrae        VincentPrice      Necro      Rogue Camp       7       -1
Imploder        Kyouken           Druid      Cold Plains      7       -3
spikewilbury    Sinead            Sorceress  Cold Plains      9       -3
erimatbrad      Futility          Sorceress  Rogue Camp      12       -5
SomethingProf   Meridian          Druid      Cold Plain      12       -8
Lostprophet     Sadler            Sorceress  Inner Cloister  19        ?

RIP
Name            Character    Class       Area            Level    Points 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
jiansonz        Allisandrina  Assassin   False Tombs(H)    79      190
Bassano         envylord      Necro      Viper temple(H)   72      170
Merlin          Mihanti       Trapsin    Black Marsh(H)    77      165
Insane Wayne    Pepper        Sorceress  Crypt (H)         76      162
Charlo          Fice          Sorceress  Foothills(NM)     65      155
StevehRogers    MrsGreen      Sorceress  Kurast Docks NM   60      108
StevehRogers    The Hulk      Necro      River of Flame    35       79
iomanip         Blisters      Sorceress  flayer dungeon(N) 46       72
DuesNox         MutNinjaTurt  Assassin   Outer Cloister(N) 48       77
Merlin          Buggha        Druid      Chaos Sanctuary   35       47
Es Mors         Kelkis        Necro      Swampy Pit lvl3   25       30
Morathi         Cosi          Druid      Chaos Sanctuary   35       23
Charlo          God_Himself   Paladin    Dark Wood         14       -2
linkato1        Albert        Paladin    The Barracks      17       -3
Many thanks to Morathi for reviving this tournament! And good luck to sequana; I want to see Filip as a Guardian, too! :thumbup:

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Well done jgreg7 :thumbup:. :congrats: on getting your first Guardian (something i am trying to do :\). I bet it feels good...

Thank you for giving me the rights to resurrect this tournament. It was you who made the original and it was such a great idea that i decided to re-make it.

Cygnus

Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats on your first guardian :thumbup: I know you've been waiting a long time for this one.

sequana

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Venus' stats

Big congratulations, great work :thumbup:.

I remember from GwE I that sorceress has quite good killing power but also is very fragile, which can be deadly in such tourney. In my eyes right Guardian should be untwinked. Your one is great and you really deserved to make it and win this tourney.

And good luck to sequana; I want to see Filip as a Guardian, too! :thumbup:
Thanks. I would like to see that as well :).

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Big congratulations to Venus! :jig:

Very well done surviving that Viper stairs trap. I know I would have peed in my pants - I hate snakes in this game.
(Hmm, I thought Serpent Magi were indeed cold immune...maybe they were Salamanders(those fire-shooting buggers)?)

Wow, no new set pieces in Hell at all...that IS pretty bad luck.

Now go make some Cow beef and find at least one Cow King´s set piece...