Green with Envy II Tournament

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
Green with Envy II Tournament

Last week I was curious to read over some of the past tournaments that I have participated in. One that I was most determined to read was the Green with Envy tournament, a tournament that was by far the most fun and enjoyable i have had here. After reading through the posts I began to have greenish emotions and a big urge to become green again. So with my blood running green I kindly asked jgreg7 (the original creator of the Green with Envy tournament) to see if he could possibly host the rebirth the Green with Envy II. Unfortunately he is unable to do so but to my suprise jgreg7 graciously gave me the permission to be the host.

I waited for my schooling commitments to finish and now only 3 days from holidays, I bring to you the second coming of the Green with Envy tournament :smiley:.

(The rules have been modified from the original one, however the format is the same).

Characters & gameplay
  • Your character must be HC although it if you cant you may go SC, but a SC death disqualifies the character from further participation.
  • If your character dies, you may re-enter with another character. There is no limit to this rule, you may re-enter as many times as you wish.
  • Players can use version 1.10 or 1.11
  • Red Rune Mod (RRM) may be used and the same with Rune Word Mod (RWM). However it is completely useless for this tournament.
  • Players can use any character class, any build, and assign stat and skill points as desired.
  • Any /players setting is allowed, and may be changed at will.
  • Any merc may be used.
  • Single pass only (no re running of act bosses and areas).
  • Every waypoint and quest must be completed before moving to a new act.
  • You may return to previous acts and difficulties, however you may not leave town (this means its best to save Wrsts Leg when you get it or else you wont be able to do the Cow level)
  • Atma may not be used as an extended stash.

Equipment Rules ·
  • Your character must be Untwinked (no twinking of items, you must start with nothing)
  • Only green items (set pieces) may be equipped. White or grey items may be used until a green item is found for each slot. After an appropriate green item has been found, you must use that item for that slot or go empty. Once you find multiple appropriate green items for a specific slot(helm, armour etc), you may decide which one you wear.
  • Green weapons you find can be used towards any of the three weapon slots (primary, switch, merc) at your choice. The third green weapon you find must fill the last slot. If your merc cannot equip any of the three, he/she must go weaponless. You cannot however swap your merc to overcome this, but when you reach the next difficulty you may decide to re-hire your merc (same or different type). When you re-hire your merc if you have saved a set weapon that he/she can equip then you must equip it on your merc. If you don’t have a saved weapon then your merc must go weaponless until a set weapon drops that your merc can equip.
  • You may mule items off your character but definitely not back on.
  • Sockets may only be filled with emeralds and jewels with the green graphics, Runes are not allowed to be filled into sockets.
  • All charms are allowed.
  • Merc equipment must follow the same rules.
  • Quest items (e.g. Khalim’s Will) may be equipped temporarily only when necessary to complete quests. Quest rewards (Charsi, Anya) may not be equipped.
  • Gambling for green items is encouraged

Scoring ·
  1. 1 point for each WP gathered (including Rogue camp)
  2. 2 points for each quest completed
  3. 3 points for each set item equipped (this includes your merc).
  4. -1 point for each character level gained ( meaning your characters level).

Prizes
This tournament is strictly for bragging rights, for fun and for a challenge. Sorry no prices.

Signup + Updates
This tournament starts now. Players may sign up at any time.
The tournament will run until interest has been lost (no posts in 2 weeks). Please sign up using the table below. The table should only be posted once on each page (with updated progress for each player). It would be ideal if you could post the table on the first post of each page :thumbsup:.
If you are entering the tournament for the first time, you may post the table and add your self to the list.

When posting updates please write a brief description at the bottom stating your level, act, points etc. This will allow the person who posts the table the ability to update your progress.

Code:
Name        Character    Class     Area         Level    Points 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Morathi     ?            ?         Rogue Camp   1        0
Hopefully I covered all the rules. If not please ask me and I will try and respond to you as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Last edited:

linkato1

Banned
Re: Green with Envy II Tournament

Code:
Name        Character    Class      Area         Level    Points 
------------------------------------------------------------------
Morathi     ?            ?          Rogue Camp   1        0
linkato1    Albert       Paladin    Rogue Camp   1        0
I'm in.

Have I understood the rules correctly:

Up until I don't have three green weapons my merc can use white or grey weapon? Eg. I can give the rogue a 3s longbow with three emeralds in it?

How about potions, scrolls and tomes? Are blues or yellows (for rings and amulet) allowed before greens are found? Can inventory and stash contain non-green items?

Topi

Edited to have only the class. Build is LoD 1.11b RRM/RWM Freezealot.

T

Last edited:

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Have I understood the rules correctly:

Up until I don't have three green weapons my merc can use white or grey weapon? Eg. I can give the rogue a 3s longbow with three emeralds in it?
Yes you may use white and grey items for all slots on your character and your merc. However once you find that appropriate green item you must immediately swap it with the white/grey item.

Yes you can have a 3soc longbow with 3 emeralds in it. But if you find a set item bow or you find your 3rd green item you must get rid of the bow.

How about potions, scrolls and tomes? Are blues or yellows (for rings and amulet) allowed before greens are found? Can inventory and stash contain non-green items?
Potions, scrolls and tomes are fine.

No. Blues and yellows cannot be used, only white and grey items until a appropriate set item drops.

Inventory can contain non-green items...of course :laugh:

Ps. For class its best to state just the actual character (paladin, sorc, barb etc)

PSS. I am still pondering on my character i will let you know soon what i have decided to go.

linkato1

Banned

Yes you may use white and grey items for all slots on your character and your merc. However once you find that appropriate green item you must immediately swap it with the white/grey item.

Yes you can have a 3soc longbow with 3 emeralds in it. But if you find a set item bow or you find your 3rd green item you must get rid of the bow.
Can't I wield that bow in my switch if it's only the second green weapon found?

Which brings up the next question.

If my main weapon is (cross)bow am I forced to wear the second (first can go to switch) green shield I find?

Topi

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Can't I wield that bow in my switch if it's only the second green weapon found?
Yes you can.

Which brings up the next question.

If my main weapon is (cross)bow am I forced to wear the second (first can go to switch) green shield I find?
No you dont, having a bow/crossbow or a two handed weapon is fine. However having a shield does give you more points, if that is what you are aiming for.

EmperorMoo

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
EmperorMoo  Monster      Paladin    Rogue Camp	  1        0
I'm in.

Especially since my HC ladder attempts have been so futile, it's time for a break from that.

Brakstav

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
EmperorMoo  Monster      Paladin    Rogue Camp   1        0
Brakstav    ?            Sorceress  Rogue Camp   1        0
I am also in. This will be fun.

sequana

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
sequana     ?            Necro      Rogue Camp   1        0
I'm in for sure. I really enjoyed GwE I (surprisingly I finished sorc there), now I'll try necro. I don't like this class, but in tourney it can be fun, especially in this tourney and once I would like to have all guardians...:smiley:.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Ahh...intriguing. Nice to see that this tourney gets another go.

However, I would suggest that you allow set items to be saved in an ATMA stash. Otherwise the tourney will, IMO, be centered too much around storage issues. One of the great things about the old tourney was that you could discover the full potential of partial set bonuses you had never thought of before (like the Cathan´s STR and resist bonuses that impressed me a lot). Since you will likely have a very small amount of MF for most of the tourney, you do not have any 'more or less guaranteed' set items that will drop (unlike in most other tourneys). This means you want to save any and all greenies that may have even the slightest potential for end-game use. This is hard when they start to pile up when you also want to save gems that can be cubed to perfects and used to reroll jewels (the color of the jewel gets rerolled - this is the only way to see more green ones). Ground storage is one solution, but it´s flimsy (stuff has a tendency to disappear when you play in the Cow level, the game can crash, etc.) and you probably want to save more resist charms than usual so inventory space may become really scarce.

Also, I do not really understand the merc bit. What´s the deal with not being able to adapt the choice of merc to the items that drop? I often switch mercs for different reasons, sometimes several times in a difficulty. I like the old rule better - once you had 3+ set weapons, a merc had to be weaponless or use a set item.

Brakstav

Diabloii.Net Member

However, I would suggest that you allow set items to be saved in an ATMA stash. Otherwise the tourney will, IMO, be centered too much around storage issues. One of the great things about the old tourney was that you could discover the full potential of partial set bonuses you had never thought of before (like the Cathan´s STR and resist bonuses that impressed me a lot).

I do agree on this.

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Ahh...intriguing. Nice to see that this tourney gets a new go.

However, I would suggest that you allow set items to be saved in an ATMA stash. Otherwise the tourney will, IMO, be centered too much about storage issues. One of the great things about the old tourney was that you could discover the full potential of partial set bonuses you had never thought of before (like the Cathan´s STR and resist bonuses that impressed me a lot). Since you will likely have a very small amount of MF for most of the tourney, you do not have any 'more or less guaranteed' set items that will drop (unlike in most other tourneys). This means you want to save any and all greenies that may have even the slightest potential for end-game use. This is hard when they start to pile up when you also want to save gems that can be cubed to perfects and used to reroll jewels (the color of the jewel gets rerolled - this is the only way to see more green ones). Ground storage is one solution, but it´s flimsy (stuff has a tendency to disappear when you play in the Cow level, the game can crash, etc.) and you probably want to save more resist charms than usual so inventory space may become really scarce.

Also, I do not really understand the merc bit. What´s the deal with not being able to adapt the choice of merc to what items that drop? I often switch mercs, sometimes several times during a difficulty anyway. I like the old rule better - once you had three set weapons, a merc had to be weaponless or use a set item.
Yeh Jiansonz i agree with you.

I guess because i dont use Atma as an extended stash i made it a rule for my own personal reason. But i guess i neglected the wider community. I might even dip my toe nails into the thought of using Atma. I mean i already play at the hardest level so i should at least give my self a little bit more room to carry my goodies :wink3:.

So ok if you so wish you may use Atma as an extended stash. Its many peoples style of play and i guess i have to incorporate that into the rules.

For the merc issue. I decided to change it up to make it more easier, because in the old tournament once your merc was weaponless it was weaponless for the whole game. I guess i could have kept it that way however i thought to make it easier i will allow you to re-hire your merc when you enter the next difficulty so you have another chance of getting a weapon on your merc. I think i was just concerned that when the 3rd weapon drops and your merc cant use it, people will go and rehire another merc so it can use it.

Now i didn't think about the possiblity of changing merc TYPES during the difficulty.

What i should of said was you may change your merc during difficulties however if your merc was weaponless (due to already 3 set weapons droping and your merc was incapable of using it), then your next merc must remain weaponless until the next difficulty.

Hope thats better Jiansonz :thumbsup:

edit- bolded writing is a change in the rules.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Can we MP? (Unlikely but I can't see it.)

slayer37

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Slayer37    ?            Assassin   Rogue Camp   1        0
I'm in. I don't know how in hell I could manage to squeeze some more D2 time in but I'll give it my best shot. I already promised my Fender priority 1 so my sin will be priority 2. :laugh:

Profound

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Profound    Roy          Barbarian  Rogue Camp   1        0
Can't wait to get into my first tourney, and I'm jumping straight into the deep end with a mace/ww barb (all time fav classic build) whose ultimate goal is to find at least 1!! IK set item :azn:

Good Luck to all! :thumbsup:

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Morathi     Cosi         Druid      Rogue Camp   1        0
Firstly Welcome to all new contestants. Its great to have such a nice turn out so early on....i feel this will be just as good as last time *crosses fingers*.

As far as my character goes, i gave it some thought and decided on going a druid. I havn't yet planned what i will do but i am leaning towards a elemenatlist of some kind and a partial summoner. So i guess i will see how it turns out while i play.

@Profound. I hope you find a set mace :undecided:. Or your barb may have a little bit of trouble wielding his desired weapon :wink3:.

EmperorMoo

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
EmperorMoo  Monster      Necro      Rogue Camp   1        0
After a bit of reflection, I changed my Class to necro, as I started to have second thoughts about my auradin almost before I entered the DoE.

Fishy/Golemmancer FTW!

As a sign of respect to the Tournament, I will only make IGs out of green items.

Cius

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmmm, the rules will definitely almost force people to pick a non-melee character as Green weapons seldom do much damage. The no-rerun rule with such low mf will make it that much harder. Perhaps allow people who are willing to try melee builds the chance to re-run bosses a bit so they can go for an IK weapon, or alders/bulkathos etc. Otherwise you will see a lot of caster characters with maybe a few brave frost/light zealots who can get some off weapon damage.

bassano

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Bassano     ?            Necro      Rogue Camp   1        0
Last green with envy tournament I do not play but impressed me that I decided to try catch some experience with HC game whitch I do not have :smiley:
I used necro for my char beacuse for HC beginer is quite good :smiley:

Ikuze

Diabloii.Net Member

Hooray! A tourney I can join! I've been waiting for a suitable one since I joined the forums!!

Code:
Bassano     ?            Necro      Rogue Camp   1        0
Ikuze       H-lessChick  Amazon     Rogue Camp   1        0
This will be my first HC experience and my first ever time playin a zon, so whilst i enjoy a bit of light natured ribbing as much as the next person no horribly mocking me when Rakanishu chops my head off in the cold plains!! (hence the name)

GL all!

Ikuze

edit: Bassano beat me to the post so i had to add him....