Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Green Tea Extract

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anakha1, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Green Tea Extract (Weightlifting Thread)

Anyone use this before?

As many of you know, I'm big into the weight lifting and body building thing. I, as most people in my position do, have problems keeping the fat % down during a bulking cycle (for those of you who aren't aware of what that is, it's essentially a rotating 4-6 week cycle of bulking, which is eating lots of protein and carbs and lifting heavy to put on mass, followed by a cutting cycle where you lift less weight and eat less carbs and fat while upping the cardio to improve definition).

I recently read reports on the effects of a Green Tea Extract (or Green Tea itself, but I'm in it for the effects, not the taste, so I take it in pill form) and I started taking it about 3 weeks ago at 300-400 mg/day. Unlike most fat burners this one burns fat by increasing your body's energy expenditure by slightly increasing your internal temperature through thermogenics. This makes it much, much safer than regular fat burners that burn calories by increasing your heart rate and effecting your central nervous system and therefore giving you a lot of side effects. I haven't had a side effect yet but I have seen a hell of a lot of results.

Since my bulking cycle began three weeks ago and I started taking the GTE the fat that I normally put on at this time just melted away and it's actually gone down. Normally my abdominals lose definition and I have more of a 4-pack than a 6-pack during bulking, but I've kept it the whole time. I weighed in at 225lbs when I started and normally go up to about 230-235lbs at the end of bulking but I've actually dropped down to 222lbs and still put on the muscle I go for during bulking.

Has anyone else tried this? Are these kinds of results normal? I'd definently recommend this stuff for anyone who's looking for a weight loss aid and wants a safe method with effectiveness. Hopefully I didn't sound too much like one of those crappy infomercials in this. :scared:

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Green tea extract is essentially just caffeine. It will make you hyper but not necessarily burn more calories.

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Actually that's not true. Yes, it does have some caffeine in it, but I haven't even noticed any hyperness. I've actually fallen asleep shortly after taking it. Secondly, it's an antioxidant. Thirdly it's been proven in preliminary studies to help burn calories and improve cardiovascular performance.

It's not a caffeine pill. It has a hell of a lot of beneficial properties if you'd bother to look it up.

4. Satans_Advocate

Satans_Advocate IncGamers Member

yeah, i took a fat burner that had caffeine and green tea in it to cut wieght for wrestling and it worked wonders. not only do they burn fat but green tea and caffeine also encourage your body to shed water weight. this was important for me as i was 6 ft tall at 165 and 6% body fat, so i had to shed 5 pounds of water weight over night before a match. it defenitly helped me.

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

http://www.healthandfitnessforums.com/green.html

6. SuggestiveName

Yes it is an anti-oxidant, and it improves cardio because it is caffeine!! But actually caffeine is shown to be quite healthy in recent studies, I try to drink coffee every day. It is good for you.

EDIT: caffeine is an amazing diuretic (makes you pee.)

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Caffeine can be good in certain doses, yes, but GTE has a lot of benefits besides just its caffeine content. It does NOT improve cardio just because it's caffeine. Caffeine won't improve your cardio at all, for one thing. It improves your metabolism as well as a lot of other benefits, but its fat-burning properties have not much to do with its caffeine content.

8. Satans_Advocate

Satans_Advocate IncGamers Member

thats why the day before a match the only thing i would eat or drink was a gallon of green tea with caffeine in it. :drink: id piss off 3 or 4 pounds, and then sweat off 3 at practice to make weight

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Caffeine is NOT the cause of the weight loss.

Here's a study on it from the National Library of Medicine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10584049&dopt=Abstract

10. SuggestiveName

It does increase concentration and energy levels, and therefore perhaps you might exercise harder. At least thats what I try to do. (caffeine before workout.)

11. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

12. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Granted, it may help your temporary energy levels, and I do use it somewhat for that, taking a pill 15 mins before my daily workouts, but I wasn't really referring to that, but more to the active fat burning properties of the substance even when you're not active. It works. Well. :)

13. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

These are two parts of the evidence Anakha provided when proving GTE:s increase in energy consumation.

Anyway what I'd like you to note is that according to this article, they have concluded with their research that GTE doesn't increase energy expenditure by increasing heart rate, they aren't sure WHY it increases energy expenditure.

I'm sure there are other articles about this product but if someone could find at least reasonably objective article that has more information, it would be beneficial for many. (note. I hate looking for articles, and I most definetly hate looking for objective and informative articles)

@Anakha:
    You mentioned the increase of body temperature. Don't you think that it is overkill to take a pill that increases body temperature and immeadetly after it do exercise that raises bodyheat?

You're cooling system might be the reason why using GTE is burning calories. Taking a pill which removes liquid from your system (reducing the effectiveness of sweating), adds to body temperature (increasing the load on bodys cooling system) and possibly exercising during these effects (further increasing the load on bodys cooling system) sounds a little risky. At least don't go into a sauna while on GTE!

edit: clarification and added an plea for help

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I wouldn't worry. I've never noticed any overheating even when I'm working out after taking one. I'm not even sure that it actually burns calories just from increasing body temperature. I seem to remember reading that somewhere, which is why I mentioned it, but I can't be sure. It may be something else. It's supposed to increase metabolism and reduce the digestion of excess fat, but I'm not sure exactly the science of it. Since I'm not a science whiz, most of the stuff I've read was over my head. Nonetheless I constantly drink water to replenish my liquids and have thus far not run into any complications. I'm always very cautious when I start something new like this.

15. NaderN

NaderN IncGamers Member

Green Tea is my baby. I usually have 2-4 cups a day (and I LOVE the taste) and I, too notice a difference just in the way I feelwhen I take it for long periods of time as opposed to when I don't. I guess when i start working out whenever I find the motivation to keep up with the green tea!!!

go antioxidants! I should eat blueberries with my tea for the extra antioxidant kick...

16. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

I was just reading a new study on this the other day. Apparently, green tea increases energy expenditure because it interferes with the formation of pyruvate, thus making your entire ATP cycle less energy efficient. It doesn't significantly slow down ATP production of glycogen replenishment, just makes it more wasteful, and your pee more expensive. I've never liked it, it gave me the jitters, but then again, I'm jittery to begin with!

Anakahaha3, 220? Cmon man, eat! :p

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Hey now. :D It's all muscle, baby. ;) And I AM 6'3", y'know... :xtongue:

You're probably just sensitive to caffeine. Some people just are. Green tea doesn't give me any side effects whatsoever. Unlike Ripped Fuel which I was on for a while. That stuff is not good for the heart. Ick.

18. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Well, I dont think its the caffeine, as I guzzle Mounain Dew constantly. I think I'm sensitive to one of the alkaloids; I've had similar reactions to a couple of herbal teas that my fiancee drinks and insists I try.
    I think the most effective supplement for me has been Nitric oxide producers; they dont seem to cause any untoward side effects, and I've finally managed to crack 11% bodyfat. You're 6'3" and 220? Why dont we just throw on a straw hat and hang you from a pole? Good fer keepin' off the crows! I've not seen anything south of 250 since I was 20. I dont think my joints are completely pleased with the situation, but I cant complain too much. Glucosamine and this funny tasting "Motion Potion" help with the grinding.

19. toader

toader Banned

Ok Anakah, I like what you speak.

Im gonna give it a try, but Id like your advise on what to do and how to use it.

Let me explain my situtation first. I am 6'-0", and I weigh about 220-225, but its not muscle. Im a little over a year out of college. While in college I weighed about 190, and I thought I was overweight then...so you can imagine what Im feeling now.

After about a year of working a desk job, by simple math above you can see Ive put on about 30 pounds (alot for one year huh?). Ive decided to start trying to get into shape a little more, using a eliptical machince I have at home and running. I just started and I cant really go more than 20 minutes at a time, a couple times a week....sad isnt it (I remember in college I could play constant basketball for 2-3 hours at a time). Anyways...Im trying.

My metabolism has never been the best, so I have always had problems toning up and losing fat...thats why I took interest to your praise of GTE. It seems that it might help out a sluggish metabolism. Now that you know a little about me, my history, and what Im trying to accomplish, would you be able to reccomend how and when to take the extract? How many times a day and when should I take it? And, any other reccomendations of anything else on the subject?

20. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

I actually have some green tea, and green tea has as much caffeine in it. The thing about caffeine, is that it drains your body of water. In weight lifting, water weight isn't really the same as body fat weight. Losing a ton of water weight through caffeine would actually have a negative effect, and having caffeine before workouts, in my opinion, holds you back. A lot, and I mean a LOT of water is taken away from your body during a serious workout. Your body doesn't just say, "Ok, time to throw out all this water, because we don't need it!" Negative. Your body needs to stay hydrated, especially if you have muscle (and if you have a lot of muscle, you're constantly reaching for glasses of water or any sort of beverages).

Green tea is just damned good for, especially in it's non-pill form. It, to some extent, increases your metabolism rate, which in turn helps you burn fat faster. And since you're picking up a cup of tea, and not a coke, all the better. Caffeine has been known to really kick in for weight lifting, at the expense of bodily health. I'm sure you've seen those fast weight loss pills. Go ahead and read the label, see how much caffeine those things have. Losing water is not good, unless your body is good to lose the water. Simple as that.

Anakha, what you might seem to be experiencing is an overall increase of health, which could and could not be directly related to the green tea. All I know is if I started drinking green tea, I'd start losing some pounds, too. It helps break down food faster. If you're going to give credit to something for losing more weight, I'd say give credit to your body and yourself. :)

And Anakha, as Forcefeedback said, take care. As prepared as you might think you are, a heart attack could always be around the corner, bro. Cooldown is great and all, but if you're at all giddy or actually do feel an increase in heat in your body, just be careful. I'm not saying Green Tea is going to cause it, but overworking yourself (when it seems you might not be) can be dangerous, especially if your body is in overdrive.

Take care of yourself, as I'm sure you know how to. :)