Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Greedy Me Now Paying the Price

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Btanti, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Btanti

Btanti IncGamers Member

Greedy Me Now Paying the Price

Yes greedy gullible me looked at a ring from an unknown player online, I now cannot remove the ring from my character or move, rendering the character no good. All my items in the inventory screen are now showing a red background. The stats on the ring were quite impressive. My Sorceress is now a big Werewolf that does nothing, ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thank You

2. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

is your character on sp/open, realm ladder/nl?

if its on sp/open donwload atma to unequip it
    http://atma.diabloii.net/

if your on a realm bliz may be able to help

3. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

A screenshot of this ring would also be nice.

4. Btanti

Btanti IncGamers Member

If I can unlock the bug I will try to send in a snapshot. Some of the stats stated the properties were better during the night hours, all resistances up to 75, mana up 650+ life up 700+ all i can remember.

5. Btanti

Btanti IncGamers Member

Thank you very much for that, I hope this will work :thumbsup:

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Yeah, this is why no one plays open.

7. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

It's not simply about playing on open, it's about carelessly involving yourself with strangers. If you only played with RL friends, or somewhat established members of this message board, nothing would happen to you that couldn't happen to you on closed.

8. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

untwinked open is tougher than ladder imo, some hacked items can help alot
    its good to back-up your save folder occationally just in case something like that happens again

9. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

That is one very old and very hacked ring. I saw a screenshot of it once but it was a long, long time ago. If you are able to take it off, drop it on the ground and exit the game.:soapbox:

10. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

That ring has invisible properties that "lock" you when you use it. A bit like a booby trap: the creator of that item adds very nice attributes on it (7 to skills, 700 to life...) and also adds a non-visible property that prevents you from doing anything once you put the ring on, including removing it. People are of course attracted to the nice properties but are not aware of invisible traps... then boom.

If you have a program like Atma, you can easily get rid of it. Try backing up character files to prevent this from happening again.

However, know that charms are far worse then rings. Do NOT grab charms that people randomly drop... it could be a "locker" that they drop from their cube/stash. The worst part is that you can't see what it does, and once you pick it up to check, it goes in your inventory and activates. Then you can't drop it.

A good way to know if a charm is a "locker" is to ask the person to put it in the trade window. Obviously he can't, if it's in his cube, and if it was in his inventory, he'd be "locked" himself.

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Hmm, if it's like that, you can pick it up while the inventory window is open, so it's on the mouse cursor, and put it right into the cube which has to be in the inventory as well.

Perhaps it would be funny to run around then (to show that it didn't work), yelling "OMG, thx thx thx !!!! I'm dealing 82317528 dmg now and MF is at 34957% :-DDDDDDDDDDD !!!"

12. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

Sure you can do that :) It would be funny indeed :grin:

One more thing I forgot to add: Have you ever seen characters that look like Amazons or Assassins (on Open of course)? That is also one of the invisible properties people put on items. However it doesn't change anything else but appearance... I think.

If you see a Druid or Barbarian with a class-specific helmet transforming into an Amazon/Assassin, the character has no head. At all. Really scary... :laugh:

Too bad there's nothing like that on Closed...

13. Btanti

Btanti IncGamers Member

A massive thank you to all that answered my cries for help.

ATMA did the trick and saved me from certain insanity, Very good program that will come in handy.

I HAVE LEARNT MY LESSON BIG TIME AND WILL VERY WARY IN OPEN GAMES IN THE FUTURE.

Good to see that the users of this sight are helpfull and have a good sense of humour, once again I owe all of you big time.:thumbsup:

14. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

You mean... Too bad Closed isn't completely screwed up either :grin: ? No thanks :rolleyes:...

15. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Closed is still pretty screwed, at least the economy is...

And Closed isn't completely safe either, with all those 3rd party programs that the unsavoury types like to indulge in (FC 'zons, anyone?), some of which cause the aforementioned economy mess.

We're getting there, Closed is catching up...

16. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

At least on Closed there isn't Townkill (I think it's called that way?). Or that lame, stupid hack that makes you drop all your stuff when you are killed by the one with the hack. Very annoying. Especially if you don't have a backup character.

Example:

Enter a game "Legit duels"
    The host (who is wearing hacked items) stands in the Rogue Encampment
    The host activates Townkill and the lame, stupid hack
    The host hostiles you
    You die
    Everyone feeds on your crap, you press Esc, you die, you press Esc, you die...

I got used to it... lost my equipment three times that way, but luckily had a backup.

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A better way to leave is Alt-F4. At least that saves you from dying more than once.