Greatest book ever?

SilentMagik

Diabloii.Net Member
Did anyone read "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland? Its maybe not the greatest book in the world but I just love it. I've read it ten times at least.

And I agree with LOTR, Silmarillion, The Hobbit etc..

Johnny

Banned
Lord of the rings is cookie cutter crap.

Best book ever Sven Hassel's books all 13 of them.

And then Michael Moores 2 books. Stupid white men & Dude who stole my country.

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
SilentMagik said:
Did anyone read "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland? Its maybe not the greatest book in the world but I just love it. I've read it ten times at least.
I've read it and I thought it was pretty good...not one I'd read 10 times but still good.

My favourite book is a definitely Dune by Frank Herbert, really awesome science fiction book, with American Psyhco a close second.

I don't like Lord Of The Rings, the story is nice but the writing is boring, the same goes for Dan Brown.

Alviarin

Diabloii.Net Member
With my posts, you'd never guess it...

Atlas Shrugged is my favorite, followed closely by The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I also enjoy the Sword of Truth books.

Johnny said:
Lord of the rings is cookie cutter crap.
I believe that Lord of the Rings is the cookie cutter that all other modern fantasy books are cut from. But I agree that it is nowhere close to being the greatest book of all time. It has no real literary merit in my opinion. Its a good story and I enjoyed it but the greatest book of all time? No.

My vote goes for Anna Karenina, un utter classic that stands the test of time.

My favourite book at the moment is Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - it gets me every time. But ask me in a few months time and I'll say something different.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
My favorite that I've read so far this year is Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. It's one of his earlier works and not nearly as good as his later stuff (the Border trilogy, Blood Meridian) but still a great read. I'm really looking forward to his new book coming out this summer.

Obligatory advertising link to the greatest translated book in the history of human civilization!

NightShade

Diabloii.Net Member
So many books to read....

Personally I'd put my vote up for...nothing..

Saying one book is greater than another is really not possible, I've read through stuff...thought it was trash. My friend who is almost exactly like me, loved it....Go figure.

My to read list :

Da Vinci code
The bible. All of it.

Eff

Banned
catcher in the rye
animal farm
the alchemist
the old man and the sea
fight club
siddhartha
cannery row