Greatest book ever?

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
onionfarm said:
I'm disappointed. I was going to make the exact same joke.
don't worry, it's a **** joke that we've all heard and ignored many times before

btw, GREAT GATSBY SUXXORZ OMG WTF?

@ Bortaz

YES EVERYONE KNOWS THAT

Tor

Diabloii.Net Member
most of these these books you guys nominated are books ive read for english in school 90% of the sucked hard

da vinci code was tripping :) (not for school)
out of these "school books" i liked catch 22 th most

Johnny6

Diabloii.Net Member
ebyworx said:
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk was amazing, I read it in about 8 hours.
Amazing isn't the right word, but it's the first one that comes to mind. Actually I'd say it was pretty damn cool, maybe not amazing, but you know, that's, like, just my opinion, man.

I should've been able to squeeze that into my other post, but the sun was in my eyes and/or 6 people all posted at once.

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
nobody gave me a translation when I tried to read the piece of crap and I ain't givin you one now
lol...i can tell you are under 25....when you hit 40 do yourself a favour an read it again....it is a story that gets better with "age"

memememe173

Diabloii.Net Member
high up:

something by Agatha Christie
lotr
HHGTTG
Douglas Niles' books
other stuff I like...it's late...sue me

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
Bortaz said:
Moby Dick, by Herman Melville

or

Heart Of Darkness, by Josef Conrad
I especially enjoyed the reverse dichotome (sp?) in that book b/t light and darkness.

As for my nominations I liked Lord of the FLIES by William Golding, Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose, ALL of the fictional Michael Crichton books I've read so far (Rising Sun, all the Jurassic Parks, Sphere, Congo, Terminal Man, Airframe, Disclosure), Fahrenheit 451, The Invisible Man (not the orsen wells book, which is just titled Invisible Man), Animal Farm, 1984, and some others that I can't think of at the moment.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, for a single book.

The Gormenghast Trilogy, by Mervyn Peake; a strange fantasy indeed, not run-of-the-mill by any means.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Rius666 said:
I especially enjoyed the reverse dichotome (sp?) in that book b/t light and darkness.

As for my nominations I liked Lord of the FLIES by William Golding, Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose, ALL of the fictional Michael Crichton books I've read so far (Rising Sun, all the Jurassic Parks, Sphere, Congo, Terminal Man, Airframe, Disclosure), Fahrenheit 451, The Invisible Man (not the orsen wells book, which is just titled Invisible Man), Animal Farm, 1984, and some others that I can't think of at the moment.
The Invisible Man was a pretty great book

PoorCobbler

Diabloii.Net Member
whilst they are not really books, i think Poes short stories are some of the best novellas//short fiction out there

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member
Eat the Rich by PJ O'Rourke

And for those that wanna cheat:

The Book of Great Books: A Guide to 100 World Classics by W. John Campbell
Got it at Barnes and Nobles for under $10. Yeah, there are lots of websites that do the same thing, but this was easier; I read 1 a night. Tons of other books that do the same thing, too, but this is the one I grabbed.

Bortaz

Banned
PoorCobbler said:
whilst they are not really books, i think Poes short stories are some of the best novellas//short fiction out there
The Unparalleled Adventures of One Hans Pfall rocked, and so did Berenice. :p

Moosashi

Diabloii.Net Member
Shogun by James Clavell

I really enjoyed the da Vinci Code (doesn't even make my top 100 list though) but I couldn't stomach more than a couple chapters of Angels and Demons. Seemed like the plot was contrived around an agenda of science/religion synthesis and that made me want to barf.

UserMathias

Diabloii.Net Member
Necrolestes said:
The horror, the horror! How could you even get THROUGH that book (it was the hardest 80+ pages I ever had to read...on the flip side, it took me three days to read through Lord of the Rings). As difficult as it was for me to get through the book, I happen to agree with you Bortaz that Heart of Darkness has a terrific message for the world and overall is a good read.
I read it three times and loved it. The way he changes the style to create symbolism always leaves me in awe. I'm the only guy I know who actually likes that book. o_O

I don't really have a favorite book. But if Jan from BGII would write one, I'd declare it my favorite before even reading it. That character is hilarious.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
Ev_ said:
My top 3:
Lord of the Rings (trilogy)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (series)
Watership Down
*cries* That is such a good selection.

Mine goes something like:
The Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
The Silmarillion
Watership Down
Hitchhiker's
Harry Potter books

The order of the last three is iffy, consider them all 3rd favourites.

I'm so glad someone else loves Watership down, it's such a fantastic book.

Ev_

Diabloii.Net Member
Savage said:
I'm so glad someone else loves Watership down, it's such a fantastic book.
Absolutely. I couldn't put it down. I've got "Tales From Watership Down" in my stack of books to read. Have you read that?

I was actually inspired to read it by the fact that the animated movie was one of my favorites when I was younger. I bought the DVD and watched it again. Funny how different it is through older eyes.