Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Graves the Necromancer is born

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Cypher Aus, Jan 5, 2018.

  1. Cypher Aus

    Cypher Aus Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Introducing Graves the Necromancer, born on the 5th January 2018.

    My journey into the world of HC Diablo 2 starts here. Fresh install so I'll be playing HC all the way. I'll provide some updates of my progress and will no doubt have some fun along the way :)

    [​IMG]
     
    Southpaw8668, T72on1 and Kitteh like this.
  2. fearedbliss

    fearedbliss Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    Messages:
    395
    Likes Received:
    107
    Trophy Points:
    247
    What patch 1.14? Classic or Expansion?
     
  3. Cypher Aus

    Cypher Aus Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    6
    1.14 LOD but may experiment with earlier patches later :)
     
  4. darkstarhub

    darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2011
    Messages:
    897
    Likes Received:
    603
    Trophy Points:
    234
    Good luck and welcome to the fray. You are laying your sack on the line after being gone so long and starting right off in hardcore. I was also a D3 dropout when I came back here, and since you are here too I don’t have to go on a rant about D3. Everybody has their own ideas about what is wrong with the game anyway. I have more things to accomplish in D2 now than I ever did before and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

    See there, I stole your wallet and kicked your shins and you didn’t even know it!!! Have fun and may your drops help you get to Guardian.
     
  5. Cypher Aus

    Cypher Aus Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Haha I guess I was far too distracted by the mention of a D3 rant. Guess I'll have to get myself a new wallet and new shins.

    I want to write myself a list of goals to achieve for D2 as it always feels good to accomplish them. I'll start by trying to get Graves to hell though as I feel like his name alone belongs there giving hell to everything in hell.

    Edit: First set item just dropped in stony field at level 13 :)

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    T72on1 likes this.
  6. DaveW

    DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2006
    Messages:
    1,624
    Likes Received:
    117
    Trophy Points:
    264
    All the best Cypher Aus, the Fishy is a great 1st up HC char. Doesn't need uber gears to beat the game, his CC is amongst the best of all the characters and can do some great MF runs for you (NM/Hell Meph, Pits) to gear up other chars. Make sure you have Decrip by the time you hit Duriel if possible and drop player settings for that annoying Maggot Lair and Arcane Sanctuary. A Staff with teleport charges will help you re-focus your minions. Good luck!
     
  7. Cypher Aus

    Cypher Aus Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Thanks for the tips Dave! Appreciate it. When/where can I pick up a staff with teleport charges?
     
  8. DaveW

    DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2006
    Messages:
    1,624
    Likes Received:
    117
    Trophy Points:
    264
    Cypher Aus likes this.
  9. Cypher Aus

    Cypher Aus Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Thanks again :)
     
  10. drmalawi

    drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2017
    Messages:
    1,300
    Likes Received:
    943
    Trophy Points:
    188
    interesting! Will follow this :)
     
  11. Cypher Aus

    Cypher Aus Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Have made a bit of progress tonight and will make a little more before bed. Graves has made it to Act II normal and found Andariel to be no problem at all :) Looking forward to getting the cube shortly and having a slightly more useful merc.
     
  12. Kitteh

    Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    Messages:
    11,674
    Likes Received:
    2,109
    Trophy Points:
    534
    Great to see that you went with HC, good luck! :D
     
  13. Cypher Aus

    Cypher Aus Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Thanks Kitteh :) :) You gave me the nudge I needed. Any random HC tips from anyone are also greatly appreciated. Just picked up a bone shield of deflecting from Drogan so I can rock 75% block chance. Currently trying to shop 25% MF boots and gloves in act 2 and then I'm off to get myself the cube. The sewers are done, act 2 defiance merc it doing much more for me than the fire arrow act 1 merc was.

    Edit: Graves found his first unique :)

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  14. Kitteh

    Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    Messages:
    11,674
    Likes Received:
    2,109
    Trophy Points:
    534
    You are playing hardcore, speed means nothing if you're dead - if you have to go slow, then do so. Use skills you don't ordinarily, extra crowd control. Bone prison for example, I would typically not bother with on a software bonemancer, but in HC I'm sticking that around anything remotely dangerous. Some curses and war cries may suddenly seem more useful too - experiment. Definitely learn to use your environment more, particularly doorways and corners. Funnel them through doorways or narrow passages. Big archer pack? Stand around a corner. I'm doing Countess runs just now; if I come across a nasty pack then I use the doorway, or I teleport to a corner and stand round the corner spamming charged bolt at anything that is stupid enough to approach. Don't get complacent, it gets you killed. You might breeze through the first half of hell act V and think you're all it, but then you hit a pumped up pack of blood lords and you're all dead. I will chime in some other stuff later, but they are the important things I think - there are also far more experience HC players than me, so they might help. @pharphis @jiansonz
     
    fearedbliss likes this.
  15. Kitteh

    Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    Messages:
    11,674
    Likes Received:
    2,109
    Trophy Points:
    534
    In this video, I talk through some of the ways that I react to scenarios during Countess runs, including some of the above stuff. However, you can adapt it to any other locale too of course.

    Edit: Well, you can once I figure out why there is no audio :rolleyes:
     
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  16. pharphis

    pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    Messages:
    13,933
    Likes Received:
    1,887
    Trophy Points:
    283
    I've played very little of necros that weren't geared like crazy BUT I will suggest that if you're going the fishymancer type of route you have to pay attention even when you're standing around for long periods of time while skellies kill. Monsters sneak by sometimes or show up unannounced while your skellies are all distracted, and there's always a chance of a stray arrow or something hitting quite hard.

    Even without teleport charges you can reorient your team with a TP!
     
    Kitteh likes this.
  17. Cypher Aus

    Cypher Aus Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Thanks very much for the extremely useful advice both of you! Anything is useful as I haven't delved into D2 HC before and it's certainly a more brutal game than D3. Bone armour as at least a 1 point wonder seems like a really good idea so I'll give that a fair try. I'll test some of the curses too, can always respec if needed by the fishymancer seems to have a fair amount of spare points to play with anyhow. First HC character doesn't need to be perfect and I'm enjoying Graves so far :)

    Graves was very close to getting the cube tonight but I had a friend come around and I'm now off to bed for the night. I'll play more tomorrow after work and will post any notable progress or finds here. It's fun, helpful and I like this community.
     
    Kitteh likes this.
  18. Kitteh

    Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    Messages:
    11,674
    Likes Received:
    2,109
    Trophy Points:
    534
    Always have bone armour, it is 1 point. Also, just in case you don't know, prison/wall give better bonuses to bone armour than hard points do.
     
  19. okey

    okey Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2017
    Messages:
    260
    Likes Received:
    128
    Trophy Points:
    71
    Hey there, I noticed your thread and wanted to pop in to give you some encouragement! Enjoy the ride, HC is much more rewarding as you play along (psychology wise I suppose) anyways, I'm glad to see Graves rolling along. If it may help you any, I too am doing a HC summoner, perhaps you can get some tips pointer in it.. aside from the usual advise, the key is to abuse your clay golem, decripify, dim vision (range becomes neutralizedd)

    first page
     
    Cypher Aus likes this.
  20. drmalawi

    drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2017
    Messages:
    1,300
    Likes Received:
    943
    Trophy Points:
    188
    We like you too :)
     

Share This Page