Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Graphics in new Gamescom media

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by gerhard, Aug 20, 2010.

1. gerhard

gerhard Diabloii.Net Member

Graphics in new Gamescom media

I must say that I like the graphics of D3 more and more (liked it from the beginning, but it just keeps on getting prettier). It seems that the devs have become really good at carrying concept art over into the game engine, so that everything looks much like it has been hand-drawn (as many called it before - like a painting). Now I have even higher expectations. But I do hope that they add a bit of specular!

The design of the user interface is also superb and is just getting better and better with every iteration (although, to my taste, the paper doll could use just a tiny bit more work - I can't put my finger on it, but something about it dosen't look as cool as everything else in the interface, but I do like the concept art of the class being played being shown).

What I'm sincerely hoping for is the best damn realistic representation (visualisation) of fire of every game to date. I think that it's kind of integral to the series (hell = fire, for Christ's sake!). We only saw glimpses so far and it didn't look as good as I hoped it would. The campfire in one of the new "caravan" screenshots looks promising though, with little sparks going up with the smoke and such kind of details.

What I would also like would be in-game anti-aliasing. Judgeing by SC2, it could also be missing in D3...

What are Your thoughts?

2. Killafornia

Killafornia Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Graphics in new Gamescom media

The game is stylized, don't set your expectations too high for the game.

I do think the game looks great my only complaint is that the grassy areas aren't detailed enough. The textures are wayyy too smooth for outdoor floor tiles.

3. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

I bet it all depends on your graphic settings. Remember that this game is meant to be played on as many type of PC's out there. Maybe we are seeing the minimal options, logically they keep the best things back.

It's BLIZZARD, they know we'll buy this game anyway! :)

4. Killafornia

Killafornia Diabloii.Net Member

Nah, companies always show tech demos at highest settings, it's more likely in a logical sense to say they may not have polished everything yet.

5. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Since when does Blizzard follow the general 'always' rule?

6. Valhauros

Valhauros Diabloii.Net Member

Although I liked the slightly modified interface regarding the stained glass thingy's colors, I didn't like the new paper doll or the new action bar. I liked the old ones' better, specially the exp bar and the system buttons... I also think it would be nice to see the old inventory and paper doll's graphical design but perhaps with a bigger grid.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

when it comes to money. no way a company is gonna show off a game at lower settings they always showed the best version possible to wow everyone watching.

8. valeo

valeo Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard don't focus on graphics and never have. It's a bit annoying, really, considering most people have computers these days that could run a game much more intensive than Diablo 3 is currently looking. Also the fact that most Blizzard games have a very large life span (5+ years) and you would think that starting with a very high standard of graphics would be a good idea.

Starcraft 2 doesn't look that great in comparison to other RTS games.

9. sirroman

sirroman Diabloii.Net Member

It doesn't need to. Really. But I feel your pain.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i rather they keep the focus on gameplay rather than graphics. you say the game has a very long life span? thats cause of all the effort that goes into the gameplay if they shift the focus to graphics the gameplay would suffer and probably reduce the games lifespan

11. The Rockman

The Rockman Diabloii.Net Member

Yep Apocalypse hit the nail on the head Gameplay >> graphics in games.
    A game with good graphics but bad gameplay is a game that already on life-support sure it likely sell a fair few copies based on graphics but after that who would play it?

TBH I think D3 graphics are good compared to any other isomeric RPG I seen.

12. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Why can't people form a coherent opinion without resorting to the fallacy that is x vs y? I don't care much about the technical specifications, but the statement "graphics > gameplay" is such an oversimplification and utter misunderstanding of two essential aspects of games as an art and/or entertainment form, i can only reply to it with YUCK.

13. Frank_the_tank

Frank_the_tank Diabloii.Net Member

I really like the new paper doll and the vitruvian man sketchy thing they've got going on. I agree with you on the xp bar and the system buttons though.