Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

graphics card on laptop

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by iomanip, Aug 13, 2010.

1. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

graphics card on laptop

Hi guys.

As i spilled coffee on my laptop some 6 months ago, i feel its time for an upgrade. Problem is, it was a while since i had any interest in new hardware, and theres 10000 different models. I want to be able to play newer games on it (SC2 for instance) but im confused.

Do you have any tips/ideas what kind of processor/graphics card the kids want nowadays?

peace
    io

2. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Re: graphics card on laptop

I'd go with my games to a shop and ask if I can try them on the showcase machines. If the don't allow it I would want to buy my machine from them anyways.

3. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Like tavaritz said.

I was allowed to play around for an hour in a backroom with a showroom model of the laptop i wanted to buy. I didn't have such high demands from it, but it gave me a good idea of the feel of the laptop.

A gaming laptop is quite an investment (I'd expect 800-1000 EUR minimum?) and you shouldn't buy one on the blind unless you have someone with you who knows what he is talking about or you have a printed and signed 'not satisfied money back'-guarantee.

4. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

bring your geek friend with you to the shop

5. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

I would be careful with SC2 on a laptop, since that game has been known to fry many a video card, specifically laptop video cards.

6. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

The only real laptops I could recommend are on the expensive side as they cater specifically to gamers, like sager and falcon northwest (not alienware since Dell took them over).

You really have to be careful when making the investment into a high end laptop, being that video isn't interchangeable in them. Even with research and a quality video chipset, you may later down the line find that poor engineering can take what specs that look good on paper and leave you with an overheating mess.

D2 on the otherhand being as old as it is works on even the basic integrated chipsets. Starcraft 2 is far more demanding and will limit your choices. You'll definitely want to take the time to research the laptops (reliability and so forth) of laptops that are capable of running the game within your specifications (somewhere between minimum and recommended system requirements).

However, also note that most laptop video chipsets are not supported by game makers although they're effectively modified chipsets of their standard designs.

But if you can afford it, sagernotebooks or falcon northwest are definitely worth considering =)

7. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

If there is any chance you can game on a desktop, I would strongly suggest you do that. A laptop that runs games well at anything but the lowest settings (and even then, to be honest) will normally run quite hot, be fairly loud and be quite expensive. You can get a desktop that can run SC2, etc. just fine for probably half (and maybe less than half) what you'd need to shell out on a gaming laptop. All graphics cards produce a lot of heat, the better ones doubly so, and dissipating that heat in a laptop is difficult and therefore expensive.

Also note that if the desktop starts being sluggish you can upgrade it, specifically changing the graphics card or adding a second one, while all you can do to a laptop is (maybe) throw in some more RAM, which probably won't help you.

If you must have a laptop, then I'm afraid I personally don't have any knowledge to help you. All I can offer is this graph, which you should consult to check the gaming power of the graphics card in a laptop you like.

For any gaming-oriented computer, you should skimp on the processor over the graphics card if you must skimp on either. So go with something like an i3/i5 processor with a higher end graphics card than an i7 with a more middle range graphics card.

As for what DarkChaos mentions: make sure you set a frameratecap (60 should do) for SC2 (in the variables.txt file in your SC2 folder in MyDocuments) no matter what way you end up going. Without it, the game will try to generate at hundreds of frames per second on some screens and potentially overheat violently.