Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Graphics Card advice.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by f3333f, Jan 29, 2004.

1. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Graphics Card advice.

Hi, i've been thinking of getting a new graphics card for a number of weeks now and im almost ready to splash the cash, but i wanted to ask for some opinions first.
    Firstly i had to question the point of getting one, i mean i've currently got a MX460 and it played Max Payne 2 very well and FFXI runs fine too.
    But i decided that if i want to get the most out of Doom III, Half Life 2, World Of Warcraft and a great resolution in FFXI then i should get a new card.
    But theres no point getting one unless it's really kick *** right?
    So i've been looking at this card... http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/hercules_ati_graphics_cards.html
    it's a Radeon 9800 pro and it seems pretty darn sexy to me!
    However i personally think it's an extreme amount of money, i only earn about £120 a week (cos im a lazy boy who'd rather sit at home reading forums, playing games ect!) but im willing to spend the £250 (inc VAT + P+P) if the card is going to bring me joy.
    It's a big decision as im simply guessing the only main differences will be framerate and resolution so i can see more on the screen at once right?
    Your thoughts please.
    Also will the card require a seperate power supply? how would that work? Or will my computer be ok with it? I have a Athlon 1.6ghz 512 DDR.

2. toader

toader Banned

I have a 9700 Pro and I am EXTREMLY happy with it. I can only imagine that th e 9800 is even better.

As for power supplies....my computer had only a 250W supply when I bought mine, I had to upgrade it to a 400W, and now everything works perfect.

3. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

How do i find out my power supply?

4. toader

toader Banned

Open your case and look at it. It should say on the side of the supply how many watts it is. The supply is usually located in the top rear of the computer, and should have a fan on the back of it blowing out the back of the computer.

5. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Ok, i'll turn off my comp and try that now, thanks!

6. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Ok i didn't need to turn my comp off as there was a sticker on the back near the fan.
    It said 240V
    so whats that mean? will i be ok with a 9800pro?

7. toader

toader Banned

Volts doesnt tell you anything about power (without amperage info, which you dont have or cant really get). Everything in your house is either 120V or 240V.

You need to find out how many WATTS it has. Will be something like 250W, 300W, 350W or 400W....could be higher even if you have a nice one.

8. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

The 9800 Pro is a fine card. I would recommend you get at least a 400W PSU, as Toader mentioned, if that is the card you're going for. Personally, I didn't have the money to spend on a 9800 Pro or XT, so I got a Powercolor 9600 Pro, and am running it overclocked. I can play all the cool games, and I get great framerates. AND, I only spent $143. Best value ;)

9. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Ok i got it!!! it's 300Watts.
    So will i be ok with a 9800pro then hmm?

10. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

You posted this while i was writing the other post so i didn't notice your Wattage reply, 400 huh? so im screwed with 300W then? Oh damn that sucks :(
    So what are my options?

11. Usufruct

Possibly... how many deviecs do you have connected to your computer? How many hard drives, CD Roms, PCI Soundcard? You may be able to pull it off because your processor doesn't suck much juice.

Edit: The Minimum is 300W, so you could be ok.

12. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Well my computer already has a big noisy fan anyway and as far as other apps go i just have two cdrom drives, an old sound card and a 30gig HD.

13. Usufruct

You'd probably be ok with it. If not, power supplies are cheap and easy to replace, and we could walk you through it here on the forum.

14. toader

toader Banned

Yea....300W would get it done....but it would be best to upgrade. If you start drawing too much power...nothing extreme will happen, but your framerates will slow down and you will start to notice a lack of performance. Unless you remember our discussion here...it will be tough to target the problem back to the power supply.

Power supplies are pretty cheap and easy to install. Here is one I tracked down for you. 450 W Power Supply

Basically all you do is pull out the old one. A power supply will have a large or small cord going to each device: motherboard, cd-roms, drives, video/sound cards, etc. The black cord that you plug your computer into the wall....thats from the power supply also. So, once you get the old one yanked out....mount the new one and just find the right size connector for each of the devices that need power...you might wanna make a list of what you disconnected if your not sure.

Anyways...hope that helps...let us know if you have any other questions.

15. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

wow they are cheap huh? that one worked out at only £8 but i don't like playing around inside a computer so im gonna get a 9800pro but i'll leave the power supply for now, i added it to my faves list though.
    Hey i got another bothersome question thats being well.. bothering me!
    I noticed theres many types of 9800pro, i know they are all pretty much the same as they are all by Radeon so how different could they be right?
    Incidently the one i was going to buy was this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55198

Yes this is a different link to the previous one, my first link was very good value compared to other places, but this one is a total bargain!!!

Anyway i was just wondering if they really are all the same, i mean i keep coming across the Saphire All In Wonder 9800pro and it's always quite a bit more expensive but i don't get why?
    Do you think my new link is a good choice? If you do then im buying today!

Thanks for all your help.

16. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

All in Wonders are more expensive because they also act as video capturing devices and TV tuners on your computer. Essentially, it will turn your computer into a TiVo machine. They are much more expensive though. Sapphire is a fine one to invest in.

Also, if you are confident enough to install a 300 dollar video card, go ahead and splurge and get the power supply. It will be easier to install and it will just give you more flexibility.

17. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

unless your a reall graphics card buff, don't spend that kind of money, it will be outdated and on the clearance rack before you know it. In less than 3 months it will have dropped 150 dollars I garuntee you. Just buy something powerful, but under 200 dollars. If you are only looking for a graphics card that will run games smoothly and confident for the next year or so, just buy a 9600, or a 128 geforce FX. It will work fine for any games you will need to play until your computer is outdated. If you spend 300 dollars on a graphics card you WILL regret it. Take my word for it. I bought a geforce 3 Ti-500 when it was hot off the market for $350, it was good for a while, but look at it now, you cain't even get them stock.

Be a smart gamer and buy cards for a good deal that will last a while and give good performance. Never pay more than 200 dollars for a card, you will regret it.

18. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Well i've already ordered it now! But you nearly get $2 per £1 so if your american it'd really set ya back but for me the grand total was £204 inc VAT and P+P. Which for a top end graphics card wasn't bad i thought. Considering there were some cards selling it for £300+ which is stupid money.

19. toader

toader Banned

I dunno what the dollar conversion is of the one you linked....but here is a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB for only $149

9800 Pro 128MB

or if you wanna spend around $300 then here is the same thing, but the 256MB model.

9800 Pro 256

Either choice I would spend the extra $14 and get a new power supply.

edit: DOH, you already ordered....teaches me not to refresh. Oh well...if you can cancel your order, do so...lol. The first one I linked will only cost about 75 pounds (if I made the conversion right), and it will give you a VERY good quality card.

20. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Your first link was for a SE which isn't as good as a Pro for one reason or another i imagine, as it's always much cheaper than the pro wherever i look.

Your second link though was a worthy buy indeed, probably would have worked out about the same price as what i paid for mine but it had 256ram instead of 128, but im happy with my purchase as i paid £204 and it retailed at £300 in October.

Another voke for better Power Supply huh? ok then, im gonna check that link and propably order one... :)