Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grape's Magic and Rare Only Septs - Progress and Theorycrafting Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grape, May 18, 2017.

1. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Since Zod God Sept is starting to look good with roughly one and a half Zods to go, along with finishing the last three characters, I wanted to already open this thread for my next bigger project.

This thread is a progress and theorycraft thread for two separate septs (=7 class, 7 mat/pat each). One being a Magic items only and the other Rare items only. Both septs also use rare/magic only mercenaries. Sockets (and inventory with rare sept) are not restricted to these rules however.

Reason for "an early opening" is that this has actually been under progress for a good while, with two characters done, and a big bunch of preparations in the form of item finding being done already.

I'd also love to get some feedback for the builds I plan to do, or suggestions for builds undecided. Everything that is not started yet (or even then) is also open for a change of plans, if better ideas come along, or some game changing item appears!

*************************************************************************************************

[MAGIC] Builds completed:

Amazon
    Name: Maiden
    Build: Plague Javelin / Charged Strike

[MAGIC] Builds in progress:

---

[MAGIC] Builds to be started:

Assassin
    Build idea: open
    Items: I'll keep an eye for all kinds of inspiring claws. Also hurty eth one handers (preferably from 1.07) could make a decent Blade Fury weapons. If all else fails I can always do a basic trapper.

Barbarian
    Build idea: Double Throw, probably with some Frenzy mixed in
    Items: I've gambled a bunch of Cruel elite Knives already, and those may be enough. Unsure about the headgear he will wear. Otherwise, about ready to go. Armor and headgear will be about ED, maybe some IAS. Leeching is going to be taken care with rings/amulets/maybe gloves.

Druid
    Build idea: Arctic Blaster with Grizzly Bear and occasional Hurricane if it gets too hard
    Items: Jeweler's (or maybe 1.07 stuff via Larzuk, would help with resistances) stuff filled with Facets. All plus skills I can get. One "Of Gaean (+3 Elemental skills) club is waiting for socket quest already, hopefully it will be enough and I can stop identifying those. Wouldn't mind a good suffix on that though, so we will see...

Necromancer
    Build idea: Poison Dagger + ? (Golem, Revives?)
    Items: Everything with "Amicae" and Sols. PDR is supposed to give me easier time while toe-to-toe with enemies, and having Lower Resist up instead of, say Decrepify. I have bunch of stuff (some circlets, one shrunken head) waiting for Larzuk. If the head will not fail, this would be ready to go, although I could also use Necromancer's (fast knife) of Quickness, but I have a substitute already.

Paladin
    Items: looking for a suitable hard-hitting melee stick, or interesting fast bases for elemental ones. One option is to go with a FoH stick + some another attack with it.

Sorceress
    Items: this one waits for an orb that has heavy plus skills for two interesting spells. So hybrid is the plan, and preferably something that is not too dependent of high FCR

*************************************************************************************************

[RARE] Builds completed:

Barbarian
    Name: Aether
    Build: Concentrate

[RARE] Builds in progress:

Assassin
    Name: Livia
    Build: "Aggressin" / Dragon Claw with Death Sentry
    Level: 74, Hell Act I

[RARE] Builds to be started

Amazon
    Build: Open
    Items: I have some decent bows, so I could go physical route with this. Never tried the fire side of elemental arrow skills, so those are of interest too. Ready to get inspired by something!

Druid

Build: Some kind Fire Druid
    Items: Idea is similar to Magic one, get some Facet filled stuff to bump up damage. Immune problems could arise, but hopefully my merc setup is strong by then. Also Volcano and Molten Boulder do some Physical dmg. Mercenary with Amp weapon maybe needed?

Necromancer

Build: Raise Skeletal Mages, aka. Lord of Mages. Unsure about the rest
    Items: I have decent rare amulet (and actually a circlet too) with Teleport charges, and I figured it would help a lot with this. I have a wand with +4 mages, but I'm still looking for a shield.

Paladin

Build: Min damage Avenger
    Items: This will most likely use the same eth Phase Blade as Barbarian used. Hopefully everything else will have two open sockets to put some mind dmg jewels in. Especially looking for: decent two socketed Paladin shield. Also would be great to have some good head gear, minimum: two sockets...

Sorceress
    Build: open
    Items: this one waits for an orb that has heavy plus skills for two interesting spells. So hybrid is the plan, and preferably something that is not too dependent of high FCR... Soo.. it's the same situation as with magic ones. I probably could throw something OK together right now, but I'll hold a little if something great comes out of Imbues for example.

The plan for the item farming includes (and has included already!) a lot of 1.13 Travincal gold farming and gambling. That is a very nice way to get both the needed rare and magic jewellery, and is my main source of decent head gear (Tiaras, circlets etc.). Gambling in Act V opens up also a possibility to check some claws, and why not some boots, gloves and belts also.

Recently I've gotten back to 1.07 and started 1.00 characters as well, and I won't hesitate to bring some stuff from there, especially if I hit something that really would fit some of these characters. My intention is not however to wait until I have all the best 1.00 rares or 1.07 multi-socket magics and damage charms ready for this :)

I'm really eager to have any kind of feedback and questions you might have. It is a huge project so there will be a lot of time to have discussions around the builds. I will also share my progress with characters here as well as probably post some juicy Magic/Rare items that could suit these septs well!

Let's do this! :cool:

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    TedDeeBoy, Brak, T72on1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

For a fcr independent sorc, maybe meteor? Hydra? Blizzard? Frozen orb?

3. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Yes, all of those would work fine I'm sure :)

Good old Meteorb would work great, and I haven't even done one in SP. 63 FCR BP is achievable with both rare and magic ones, and is not that bad, it's quite good actually. Many use that one with their AT Blizz Sorcs, and I have it with my Travi gold finder! We are usually just spoiled by having the +105 one so often.

Other skills to look for, (little more off the beaten path..) Inferno, Firewall, Blaze? Does Blaze achieve OK dmg? Pity there's so many FIs in Hell, and that Infinity isn't available...

Some interesting 20 FCR Orbs that I already have:
    Code:
    Storm Gyre
    Heavenly Stone
    One Hand Damage: 21 - 46
    Durability: 48 of 60
    Required Level: 44
    Fingerprint: 0x92a11e94
    Item Level: 85
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    5% Chance to cast level 3 Lightning on attack
    +2 to Sorceress Skill Levels
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +1 to Chilling Armor (Sorceress Only)
    +3 to Glacial Spike (Sorceress Only)
    +2 to Nova (Sorceress Only)
    +21 to Life
    +68 to Mana
    Half Freeze Duration

Stone Song
    Smoked Sphere
    One Hand Damage: 4 - 10
    Durability: 32 of 35
    Required Level: 42
    Fingerprint: 0xdbee67c4
    Item Level: 66
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    Adds 1 - 134 Lightning Damage
    Adds 10 - 32 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
    +2 to Cold Mastery (Sorceress Only)
    +3 to Fire Mastery (Sorceress Only)
    +3 to Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)
    +18 to Energy
    +26 to Life
    Magic Damage Reduced by 2

Havoc Whorl
    Smoked Sphere
    Durability: 18 of 35
    Required Level: 52
    Fingerprint: 0x3c2df520
    Item Level: 86
    Unidentified
    +1 to Sorceress Skill Levels
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +2 to Frozen Orb (Sorceress Only)
    +3 to Fire Ball (Sorceress Only)
    +21 to Life
    Replenish Life +3
    Poison Resist +31%
    Level 7 Frost Nova (17/56 Charges)

Charged Smoked Sphere of the Magus
    Smoked Sphere
    One Hand Damage: 6 - 15
    Durability: 18 of 18
    Required Level: 59
    Fingerprint: 0x83408eaa
    Item Level: 80
    +2 to Lightning Skills (Sorceress Only)
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +2 to Lightning Mastery (Sorceress Only)
    +3 to Blizzard (Sorceress Only)
    +73 to Mana
    Ethereal

Brimstone Whorl
    Smoked Sphere
    Durability: 30 of 35
    Required Level: 52
    Fingerprint: 0x2fc460c4
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +2 to Hydra (Sorceress Only)
    +2 to Nova (Sorceress Only)
    Hit Causes Monster to Flee 50%
    Replenish Life +3
    +36 to Mana
    +2 to Mana after each Kill
    Level 2 Frozen Orb (34/37 Charges)

Arch-Angel's Glowing Orb of the Magus
    Glowing Orb
    One Hand Damage: 8 - 21
    Durability: 22 of 40
    Required Level: 51
    Fingerprint: 0xba86fb41
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +2 to Fire Mastery (Sorceress Only)
    +2 to Blizzard (Sorceress Only)
    +2 to Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)
    +34 to Life

If I leave the 20FCR out, then there's more, but no super interesting skill combos. I have a +6 Blizz one and a +6 Orb one though. I could always go all in with one element, and leave a weaker backup. Out of those that I posted, I like the first one most. Freeze stuff with Glacial and go spam Nova?

4. WoRG

WoRG IncGamers Member

For the blues Barb and Druid, 1.07 primal helms/pelts all the way!! 3os possible from Larzuk... high ilvl barb hats can spawn all +life suffixes, even 'of the Whale' (+81-100 life) Pelts only go up to 'of the Colossus' (+41-60 life), but that's still a good bit higher than regular helms...circlets, of course, can get 'of the Whale', but miss the chance for staffmods...and in 1.07, you can shop Pelts from Elzix in Act II!

For all of the blue sept, weapons & armor from 1.07 will probably be best...at least for any base that gets more than 2sox...but if you use a 1.07 orb/wand/circlet, you'll wanna socket it in 1.13 (no sox in orbs/wands, 1socket max on circlets in 1.07). Shields would probably be better from 1.07, unless you wanted 'of Deflecting', which doesn't get FBR in 1.07, or were willing to forgo another good prefix for 'Jeweler's'. The other possibility for weapons would be 1.10beta normal/flawless gem recipies (they could give you a 3os orb or 6os(!) War/Rune/Archon staff)

For the blues sorc, no RWs might mean that a good Lower Resist wand/dagger would be the best switch wpn...

WoRG

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  5. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Thanks for the heads up @WoRG ! All very good suggestions!

My 1.07 Travi runner Javazon has indeed kept a close eyes to especially pelts and barb hats, and I repair in Act II with a quick look at Elzix ;)

As for blue weapons, not that many are needed for the current plans, that could benefit from more sockets but I'm always ready to get inspired if something drops... Good reminder to also try Orbs (or even Staves, that 6os is intriguing...) with 1.10a rolling! I'm planning to roll some Runic Talons and Caduceus (plural?) at least. Definitely could open up some interesting builds depending on outcome of those.

Yes, I should have LR wands and daggers ready, but better to double check those.

6. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz IncGamers Member

@WoRG glad you mentioned the elzix bug haha he indeed sells pelts

Right off the bat I'm thinking of some godly expensive stuff.

Javazon with:
    6/40 javelins or replenish stack
    160/60 armor
    JMoD with ias/Ed or facets
    3os 30frw tiara with ber runes??
    3/20 gloves
    Fhr/life belt
    40frw boots
    Leech res rings and ammy

Also don't forget the MF bug in 1.07. With 100 MF or so council members will drop ALL RARES! Easy way to farm circlets and other gear.

7. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

@GalaXyHaXz check my Magic only Amazon that is under "Builds completed" ;)

Not nearly as godly, but I liked some of her items. Even managed to find 6/replenish Javas for her, and those inspired the whole build.

Would be lovely to gamble 3/30 tiara though. A bit PvP thingy, but still!

8. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Regarding your orbs, I like the idea of a hydra/nova sort :p

Southpaw8668 likes this.
  9. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Haha, could be interesting! :p Going fire/lightning would have the benefit of better skillers. I have a way better set of those than cold ones, if we look at the +life they would give.

I dug up a few pictures from Livia's journey so far. There weren't many, but they can get this thing rolling I'm sure! She was started about the same time as Aether the eth and rare only Concentrate Barbarian, so during the last summer it was. About a time to get moving again!

Screenshot943.jpg
    I had been thinking about Dragon Claw / Aggressin ever since I found some nice high ED claws. When I gambled this I re-visited those and soon I was building and planning one with all rare items. A big shout out to @maxicek , whose wonderful guide helped the planning process a lot!

Screenshot944.jpg
    Definitely feeling ready for Normal Diablo! I forgot to mention, but my Twinking items ARE NOT restricted to magic/rare only. I find it way funnier to test all kinds of different setups during earlier phases of the game. End items are to be used about the time they become available. I think I used rare and maybe 'Strength' in some claw.

Screenshot946.jpg
    For NM I used full Cow King's set :p She was a bit fragile, but that was mostly me rushing a lot and not utilizing CoS/MB enough.

Screenshot041.jpg
    Now she's waiting for some action at Inner Cloister WP, Hell. Showing off her off-hand claw, not even 400 ED! :p Damage shouldn't be a problem, and the only thing I'm expecting to miss from a normal equipment is some crushing blow for boss fights. Lucky me, there is not that many of them ahead anymore.

I'll fill the inventory up before continuing, but weird enough she doesn't share a single item with another melee Assassin (Zod God's Tiger Striker) I'm working with at the same time. Maybe few SCs will be given to Livia once Janis is finished.

TedDeeBoy, Brak and T72on1 like this.
  10. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

This is another very cool idea !!! Good luck, I'll be reading this with great interest, as usual.

11. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Thanks! Welcome aboard :)

12. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

This = awesome! I doubt I have any good ideas for improving build concepts, but I'll give it some thought. But I am certain I will enjoy watching the progress on this project.

13. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

i so endorse this... can i bring you something from 1.0? (for free ofcourse)

14. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Twinking with with Set Items?
    tsk tsk

DiabloTwoinDC and Ergroilnin like this.
  15. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Thanks! If I run out of ideas I will for sure first head to re-read your SeptSept thread :D There were quite a few build there I'd like to try out sooner or later, be it these two septs or not!

Thumbs up! Thanks for the offer, but I'm strictly self found, so I better find some 1.00 goodies myself. :)

Haha! Okay, thanks to you Brak, I promise to twink at least once with each Sept with only Rare/Magic. My "some kind of overgrown monster", aka my twinking stash will not even blink an eye with that challenge... ;)

16. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

I'd like to see you pull off a Hydra-Nova Sorcereress build using that Brimstone Whorl Sphere. :)

17. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

Great minds think alike. I just requested the same build to be played and then I seen your post reading back though.

Kitteh likes this.
  18. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

That's two votes for that one already, then! I'll think about it I promise! (and imbue few more orbs meanwhile) :D It would be all good, but what's holding me is that Nova is such a mana hog.

Made some preparations:

Code:
    Necromancer's Tiara of Life Everlasting
    Tiara
    Defense: 46
    Durability: 25 of 25
    Required Level: 67
    Fingerprint: 0x9a07be52
    Item Level: 98
    +2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
    Damage Reduced by 25
    1 Sockets (0 used)

Necromancer's Sexton Trophy of Amicae
    Sexton Trophy
    Defense: 52
    Chance to Block: 0
    Durability: 20 of 20
    Required Level: 43
    Required Strength: 47
    Fingerprint: 0xe7aa3f48
    Adds 5 - 14 Poison Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
    Damage Reduced by 10
    1 Sockets (0 used)

Necromancer's Tiara of Life Everlasting
    Tiara
    Defense: 45
    Durability: 25 of 25
    Required Level: 67
    Fingerprint: 0x7600b5b
    Item Level: 95
    Damage Reduced by 23
    2 Sockets (0 used)

Two misses and one hit! At least my to-be a magic only Poison Dagger Nec has a proper hat now. Most likely it will have two Sols. Idea is to get huge PDR and enough plus skills to have a decent dmg. Now that this Sexton Trophy failed, I'm thinking about waiting for a 1.07 Chromatic shield of Amicae with 3 sockets from Larzuk. Giving up two skills, but judging by my gear I'm gonna need some resistances, that's for sure.

I also took a brief look at my blue wands, for a switch, and I have a +5 Fire Golem one. Any experiences about that one? I'll have some spare points, and I think it could work just okay, as I'm going to use Lower Res a lot anyway. I know the damage isn't huge, but at least something. Or, better ideas anyone? Remember, I can't go for Iron Golems out of uniques etc.

TedDeeBoy, Pb_pal and Kitteh like this.
  19. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

Fire Golem is pretty awesome at pulling aggro. I think he works even better than Decoy (which is supposed to pull the most aggro) due to the HF aura.

As for damage... Not so much, in my experience anyway.

20. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Yeah, you'd probably be better off with an IG made out of some sexy blues you're never going to use