Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grail Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Quamper, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Quamper

Quamper IncGamers Member

Grail Questions

I'm pretty new to Diablo 2, but I'm quickly learning starting to get alot of the acronyms down.

However I have some questions about the Grail that I haven't been able to figure out as of yet.

I notice that there is a difference between completely self-found and traded for items. I haven't done any trading at all, and haven't really decided whether or not I plan on trading as of yet. It's still a pretty significant achievement either way isn't it?

I also notice in reading through the trading forums sometime people specify when they are in search of items that they note grail beside them. Is there any significance to this?

If you pursue the grail completely self-found, does it need to be with single character or can it be multiple characters? Is it more of an accomplishment to do it with a single character?

Is it hard to get lower level uniques in Hell? Do you need to play in Normal and Nightmare to get those?

Hopefully none of those are too stupid of questions. I've tried to search for the answers to those already but I haven't had luck.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry forgot one question, on the medival mart spreadsheet, there are two columns in front of the items. I figured out you put a 1 in the second column to denote you have it. What is the first column for? I've been using OpenOffice since I don't have excel and it seems to be working ok but maybe thats why I don't know what the first column is for. Thanks again.

Quamper , Stupid N00B Extrordinaire

2. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

It is :) No-one here has completed selffound grail in 1.10 (not 100% sure about strijdje) but few have collected everything via trading

You can do it with multiple characters. Playing one character long enough to find everything would be insane, you would get bored before you get your grail done

No, but there is one exception: TC3 items. Superunique monsters in normal act 1 have nice odds of dropping them, so you might want to run them a bit. On the other hand, you have propably found them all in hell difficulty before Tyrael's Might drops :)

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

1. I notice that there is a difference between completely self-found and traded for items. I haven't done any trading at all, and haven't really decided whether or not I plan on trading as of yet. It's still a pretty significant achievement either way isn't it?
    2. I also notice in reading through the trading forums sometime people specify when they are in search of items that they note grail beside them. Is there any significance to this?
    3. If you pursue the grail completely self-found, does it need to be with single character or can it be multiple characters? Is it more of an accomplishment to do it with a single character?
    4. Is it hard to get lower level uniques in Hell? Do you need to play in Normal and Nightmare to get those?
    1. Yes, trading to a grail is a very acceptable way, providing you didnt just trade for 2.4 of the items from 1 person. :rolleyes:
    2. Not that i know of, but usually if someone wants an item fro a grail and someone wants the same item to put on a character to use, the grailer usually woulnt get it, since he wont be using it it seems unfair to give it to him/her.
    3. It can be done with any of your characters, as many different ones as you like. Unless your weird and do the whole thing with 1 character, which will probably mean you get yourself a lvl 99 in the process.
    4. For low TC unqiues/sets, it can be just as hard to get them from the usual hell runs as the high end uniques. for a full guide on where to find the low level TC's, theres a thread somewhere here. (check the Faq as well, im sure someone has a link)
    There you go, hope it helps.

4. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

Hi Quamper, and welcome.
    I can only reply to some of your questions, as I know nothing about trading.

Self-found is quite a bit harder, as you can't trade some goodies you have multiple incarnations of for those you have none of. The significance you attach to the achievement is, of course, your own issue. At this stage, though (assuming you are only starting a grail), I'd say that, having no idea how truly hard it is to collect the highest-end items, you are soliciting other peoples' perception of said significance.
    If you're thinking of grailing for social acceptance reasons, I'd advise to think about it again. It's easier, faster and certainly better to go down to your local pub and tell everybody a good joke.

I've never come across this issue, so I'd have to reply "Probably not" to the first question. I'm currently grailing hard and have 3 very different characters, each for a different target. Your runs would be slower, more dangerous and less productive if you use the same character for different MF targets, thus making the experience more frustrating altogether.
    Of course, you could always target the monster that can drop every item in the game (Pindleskin in 1.09, Baal in 1.10) and run that one until it has dropped everything for you. Most players run more than 1 monsters, though, partly to alleviate the boredom.
    As regards the second question, it would definitely be more of an accomplishment. I just don't think anybody does it that way (but I'm very unreliable).

If that were only the case... :uhhuh:
    I assure you, my good friend, green Breast Plates are just as ubiquitous in Hell as anywhere else in the game. Some say more so.

5. Quamper

Quamper IncGamers Member

No, no. Its not at all that. I think I have a pretty good concept of how hard it is. And on top of that I'm pretty anti-social so social acceptance doesn't really mean much. Somehow or another D2 seems to keep my semi-ADDness in order, which is quite a feat, so I figured I might as well encourage the habit by making it more structured. If that makes any sense at all.

6. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

The only real significant thing is fun. Would it be any more or less fun for you if you traded for part of your grail than if you found it all yourself? I think that answers the question of which way to go. Also, I think many of the people that go the trade route do so because they see it as making the goal actually attainable. As LprMan has pointed out, either 0 or 1 people have finished a self found grail. Some people wouldn't have fun chasing something they will probably never finish while others see that as making it more fun (like me).

Personally I would find it entertaining to try to complete an unfound grail as an experiment. This would be done by being a regular in the givaway thread to get started and then moving over to the trade forum to try to trade for the rest. See how far it is possible to get on a grail without ever playing the game. It would only work if done in secrecy though otherwise people would either refuse to trade becase they are receiving giveaway items or they would make a concerted effort to trade what you need to 'help' see it done. Both of these would taint the experiment. And don't go getting in a huff people, I'm not actually going to do it. I just find the idea entertaining and it would probably validate my opinions of how giveaways alter our economy.

Also a free beer at the EMB for symeon and his use of ubiquitous . Do you have a roll of word of the day toilet paper? :lol:

7. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

I'm glad to hear you're serious about it. I meant social acceptance in these here fora, of course. You wouldn't believe what some newcomers have done or claimed to have done in order to become "popular".

Somehow it does, so I'll start worrying about my social values now :lol:.
    Keep in mind, though, that MFing is seriously boring. What version do you play? 1.10 is not as boring as 1.09, as the drops are better and the monsters more dangerous. But if you want excitement, play the game normally. You can get a surprising amount of grail items this way as well :).

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

The items from the lowest drop category (known as TC3 - short sword, wand, hand axe, buckler...) has very low chance to drop from higher level monsters according to the other categories (generally monsters have quite even odds for dropping from each TCs, but the lowest one -TC3 - and highest one - odds are much lower). So appart from TC3, you will see all the normal sets and uniques in higher levels too. In addition monsters that can drop only from TC3 can't often drop the sets/uniques.

more info in this thread

Grail status tables are in this thread
    Strijdje didn't enlist in these tables, but AFAIK he still miss his Astreon's Wand?

9. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Dam it...sorry for double post

10. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Can sombody please drop a link of all game monster mlvl's.So i could atleast get an idea what example nm meph can and cant drop.
    Would be great help.
    p.s (I dont use atma)

11. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

No, but I'm a big fan of Philip K. Dick :).
    Thanks for the beer. I'll hold you to it.

Hrus, does "1.10 Final" refer to people who started their grail on 1.10, while 1.09/1.10 to the ones carrying on their 1.09 grail in 1.10? I never visited the thread as I'm after a pure 1.09 grail. Misguided fool, I know...

12. Quamper

Quamper IncGamers Member

If I was looking to impress all I would need to do is start telling my flying wombat vs. the fax machine stories. But now you will have to wait until a moment when you are off of your guard. But I digress...

I'm playing 1.10. The MFing that I had been doing when I was playing on the useast was quite fun. Multiply that 10,000. Somehow that still seems fun to me. But I do quite enjoy playing through the whole game.

A little more of my neuroticness :D. Every gem I collect I always save and cube. So I had 4+ mules of nothing but Perfect Gems on my realm account and I don't think I ever used one for a single thing. Same thing with Runes, every single rune I collect I always cube it to make a higher one. I don't really know why. I'm not trying to reach a zod or anything (maybe I will eventually). Its just something I have to do. The difficult decision I guess would come later, if you had 2 chams would you keep them or would cube them?
    Anyways its alot easier to store that stuff in a stash rather than creating endless mules on the realm.

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

It is exactly like you said.
    And if you want, you can add yourself to the self-found table as 1.09 grailer. I don't see a reason why not.

14. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

I thought not because of the title of the thread. Will do tomorrow when I bring my detailed list of sets/uniques remaining from home. The total is 31, though.

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You are probably right. As I understand, you have already scored the most rarest item in 1.09? Rest should be easy :)

EDIT:
    @XDoomasX: The area levels should be found somewhere in the SPF 1.10 FAQ. Monster level is the same as the area level, champions - area level +2 , minions and bosses +3, act bosses - varies. The whole thing is much more complicated, I really suggest to download atma. The Drop calculator is amazing there.

16. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

If someone needs something for their grail, they may not care what the stats are. For example, I have a Cerebus' Bite up for trade that has really bad stats. It would be worthless to someone who want to use it in game, but would work fine to fill in a hole in someone's grail.

Here is a list of the superunique's mlvls and max drop TC:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tokusanya/Monsters.htm

17. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

@symeon, what! Another 1.09 grailer, and I thought I was the only one. Your ahead of me. I've still got 48 to go.

Sorry about the hyjack :eek:

18. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

Ah, I wish. Scroodgeskin is just such an unreliable dropper.
    I understand it's one of the 3-4 rarest items, not sure that it's the rarest of them all. But it's a huge psychological boost to
    - have that one out of the way and
    - establish that Pindle can drop godly items.

19. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

Hi TheNix. Oh, we were destined to find each other :love:.
    OK, I'll stop that now.

It was only a couple of months ago that I was at 48. Once you start MFing regularly, you do find those items. Except for Arcanna's Sign. I'll never find an Arcanna's Sign. Never.

Ever.

Why don't you add yourself to the 1.10 Grail Status tables? I just did after Hrus' encouragement. I have also started posting my finds in the find item thread. All these are a bit extra incentive to keep Pindling.