Gotta luv our GOP Congressional Leaders

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
Gotta luv our GOP Congressional Leaders

From the Washington Post:

Congress's Republican leadership yesterday threw its weight behind two of President Bush's most controversial national security programs, warrantless wiretapping and extrajudicial military tribunals.

But the party leaders are having trouble getting all their members on board, including the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee. And by backing the president's legislative demands, the leadership risks being labeled by Democrats as a rubber stamp for an unpopular president.

With prodding from Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) and House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.), the Senate Judiciary Committee voted 10 to 8 along party lines to approve a bill negotiated with the White House to allow -- but not require -- Bush to submit the National Security Agency's warrantless wiretapping program to a secret court for constitutional review.

That bill, which could come before the Senate next week, is considered by many to be a ratification of the administration's current surveillance program, which monitors the overseas phone calls and e-mails of some Americans when one party is suspected of links to terrorism. The program has been attacked by Democrats and civil liberties advocates as an excessive encroachment on Americans' privacy.

"The committee took the important step of acknowledging the president's constitutional authority to conduct foreign intelligence surveillance," said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), an ardent Bush ally.
To allow ... but not require ??

I think everybody should personally thank Senator Frist and Speaker Hastert for their help in attempting to shred the Constitution of the United States of America.

But wait, that's not all ... the Geneva Conventions are also on the line:

At the same time, the House Armed Services Committee voted 52 to 8 to ratify the White House's version of legislation creating military commissions for trying terrorism suspects. The measure would give Bush the authority he seeks to withhold classified evidence from defendants, admit testimony that defendants might maintain was coerced, and protect U.S. intelligence agents from legal action over their interrogation methods. House Republican leaders plan to bring the tribunal bill to a vote next week.
How's that sound to you? Helluva plan 'eh?

Well ... at least a few rational GOP Senators are squawking about that one:

Committee action and the scheduling of floor time represented tangible progress for the administration and turned what had been essentially a heated policy debate into a legislative showdown. But if GOP leaders intended to use the bills to distinguish Republicans from Democrats on the conduct of the fight against terrorism, they had their share of problems.

Frist and other GOP leaders remain at odds with many of their rank-and-file members over their military commission bill.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John W. Warner (R-Va.), Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) are holding firm against the White House and Frist in their support of an alternative tribunal bill that would limit the use of classified evidence and coerced testimony in terrorism prosecutions while maintaining broader protections for detainees against cruel and inhumane treatment. They said they will press ahead with their bill, despite the political sensitivity of the controversy in a key election year.

"Every senator and congressman should understand this is not about November 2006. This is not about your reelection," Graham said. "This is about those who take risks to defend America."

Director of National Intelligence John D. Negroponte, in an unusual conference call with reporters yesterday evening to express opposition to the dissident Senate bill, said the CIA had told him that, if that bill passes, the agency will not be able to continue its "high-value terrorist detention program."

The existence of that program, known unofficially as the CIA's secret prison system, was confirmed last week by Bush, but all its prisoners were transferred to military custody. Negroponte said that under the Senate's proposed rules, the program's effectiveness would be so curtailed that continuing it would not make sense.

McCain expressed bewilderment at an administration stand that he said would tamper with interpretations of the Geneva Conventions on the conduct of war. That stand is firmly opposed by top military lawyers. "The overwhelming majority of retired military people are weighing in on this issue and saying, 'Don't amend Common Article 3 [of the Geneva Conventions] because then you are allowing other nations' " to conclude that they, too, can change the conventions, McCain said.

McCain and his allies were unable to persuade White House negotiators to agree that an alleged enemy combatant could not be convicted on the basis of classified information that is not shared in some form with the defendant. "We're still gridlocked on that," McCain said. "They want to turn 200 years of criminal procedure on its head."
Comments?

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Why do you hate our freedom?

I'm glad to see some Repubs shouting about these moves. That's a hopeful sign for the future.

Pier

Diabloii.Net Member
The illusion that America is a democracy is now completely shattered.
The Founding Fathers are spinning in their graves.

Grr pIER

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
There was no illusion, just a misconception.

This isn't about democracy though. In fact it's the elected branch that's stomping all over 200 years of legal thought, so in a way you'd be better off if you were LESS democratic...

PFS

Diabloii.Net Member
S Z said:
*nudges Dross*

Pass the popcorn mate.
Aren't you in England where they're trying to sign us up to the Franco-Germanic Empire so our laws are controlled even more by a group of unelected party cronies? Where they want everyone to carry an ID card? Where they're trying to put a GPS tracking device into every car to allow for 'road use based road tax'? Where it's illegal to protest against the government within 1mile of parliament without said governments permission?

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
S Z said:
*nudges Dross*

Pass the popcorn mate.
*passes popcorn*

This is exactly what I need right now. We've got an election here in three days that looks like it's going to be a disaster in every way for the International Forces of the Red Terror. God damned liberals out to destroy our perfect order. Needless to say I've been feeling a bit down as of late. Fortunately you can alway count on the Trotskyites across the pond to slap such attempts down. I can't wait for the next leg of the "war on terror". I sincerely hope that Sweden is next in line for a dose of the old "regime change" ploy to spread the revolution.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Drosselmeier said:
*passes popcorn*

This is exactly what I need right now. We've got an election here in three days that looks like it's going to be a disaster in every way for the International Forces of the Red Terror. God damned liberals out to destroy our perfect order. Needless to say I've been feeling a bit down as of late. Fortunately you can alway count on the Trotskyites across the pond to slap such attempts down. I can't wait for the next leg of the "war on terror". I sincerely hope that Sweden is next in line for a dose of the old "regime change" ploy to spread the revolution.
This post, combined with your new South Park-style avatar, makes me laugh.

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
It seems to me that the folks in Congress are concerned more with keeping their jobs and less about legislating change. I can see how the prisoner thing is relevant now, but the wiretapping issue has been news for at least a year now. It's as if there is an important political event in 6 weeks or so and everybody has to look busy. Who knew Guy Fawkes Day was so important to the U.S. Congress?

I'm not worried, after the elections it will be back to the status quo. You know, keeping the people in fear while proclaiming at the same time how safe we are.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
Who knew Guy Fawkes Day was so important to the U.S. Congress?
Waitwaitwaitwait, if this means we get to explode Washington DC I need to get a better cable package so I can watch it live. When is this happening?

S Z

Diabloii.Net Member
PFS said:
Aren't you in England where they're trying to sign us up to the Franco-Germanic Empire so our laws are controlled even more by a group of unelected party cronies? Where they want everyone to carry an ID card? Where they're trying to put a GPS tracking device into every car to allow for 'road use based road tax'? Where it's illegal to protest against the government within 1mile of parliament without said governments permission?
Yep. Your point?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
PFS said:
Aren't you in England where they're trying to sign us up to the Franco-Germanic Empire so our laws are controlled even more by a group of unelected party cronies?
The more I see of democracy the more I envy countries run by unelected party cronies...

DurfBarian said:
Waitwaitwaitwait, if this means we get to explode Washington DC I need to get a better cable package so I can watch it live. When is this happening?
Meh, just get ID4 out on DVD.

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
llad12 said:
The silence from our OTF right-wing brethren speaks volumes ...
I wasn't going to bother (and I know you're looking for ECI)

"I'm not worried, after the elections it will be back to the status quo."
QFT.