Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Got 3 Lo's and a Sur - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bill_n_opus, Oct 18, 2006.

1. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Got 3 Lo's and a Sur - what would you do?

Well, last night was another surprise. Was doing some Pindle/Eldritch/Meph runs on p3 and my Meph map is a couple of teleports away to Durance 3 from the waypoint.

This is fine because I don't mind kicking the buckets and stuff along the way ... and this time it paid off. Got a Lo ... which now makes three total, plus a Sur from when I was doing LK runs on p8.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I'm thinking of BEAST ... especially now because I have 3 Lo's plus the Sur which leaves one Lo for either GRIEF or FORTITUDE. (cube the 2 Lo's, then the Sur, which gives me a Ber)

However, i'm still sitting on the fence because i'm looking at all my options.

I'm not really a melee'er per se ... but GRIEF and FORTITUDE looks great. But i'd have to sacrifice one of them if I make BEAST.

I'd like to know what you guys and girls would do with 3 Lo's and a Sur rune. I have enough of the lower runes to not worry about 'em. I do have the base weapons as well in ATMA sittin' there. Or would there be other options to consider?

All replies welcome!

2. Ray Patean

Ray Patean IncGamers Member

You should give them to me, for proper..ummm...disposal.

That, and I want to make a 2FPA bearsin >:D

3. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

>> Ray

Don't you mean archival. =P

Edit: You should make a beast runeword. I played around with beast on bnet, and that fanatacism aura is quite delicious. Mine was a wolfbarb, wielding a beast thundermaul. Attack speed, and life totals were insane.

4. zenithsmith

zenithsmith IncGamers Member

I'd go beast, but then i'm partical to necro's, so yeah. It helps most necro build, all barb builds( or 99%) plus u can still make grief or fort right? or just be patience and make all three

always option three - do it all!!!

5. bill_n_opus

"proper disposal" ... :scratch:

I'm sorry my friend ... i'm going to "dispose" them into an item and start kicking some diablo butt! :smiley:

So, a bearsin and wolfbarb ... two chars that i've yet to play.

If anyone noticed in the screenie, I like playing summoner necros. But it's nice to know that BEAST isn't just for summoners.

I'm also waiting for an OHM rune to drop or perhaps cube into to get Call To Arms. All this time i've never made a CtA ... and I think i've been doing without way too long. Something that benefits all chars excepting Barbs (I suppose) should be high on the to-do list.

6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Here's a good rundown on the barbarian end of things. It basically states that Dual Grief + Fort is the ender of civilizations in terms of raw damage. Beast adds surprisingly little to the formula, since most barbars don't need loads of IAS, and Fort already adds a hefty 300% ED. Ignore the OW damage, and you have a decent PvM comparison. Duress holds up well for being such a cheap armor. I'm surprised more people don't use it.

-GG

7. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Chains of Honor.

EDIT: Though, seeing as you're h4x (read: RWM), Grief/Fort is much better. RWM runewords are so powerful it's not even funny...

8. bill_n_opus

Alright, some good suggestions. Dual Grief/Fort from Goober and CoH from DarkChaos (as well as the usual RWM putdown :wink3: )

I had totally forgotten about CoH ... i'll have to re-evaluate all this.

It's just that i've got this sweet Caduceus with 5 sockets waiting for me ...

Caduceus
    One-Hand Damage: 37 to 43
    Durability: 36 of 70
    Required Dexterity: 70
    Required Strength: 97
    Required Level: 66
    Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0x8758f7c2
    150% Damage to Undead
    Socketed (5: 0 used)

Which is actually pretty darn rare. You don't find many 5 sock Caddy's lying around.

I've also got this:

Archon Plate
    Defense: 435
    Durability: 38 of 60
    Required Strength: 103
    Required Level: 63
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x2a7d8d5e
    Socketed (4: 0 used)

The defense is pretty low for an Archon ... but it's the only 4 sock one that I have at the moment. I do have a 501 def one ... but it's clean with no socks so i'd have to use a Quest reward for it which is no problem.

Archon Plate
    Defense: 501
    Durability: 54 of 60
    Required Strength: 103
    Required Level: 63
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0xa11d6e72

Anyways .. thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone else? I figure that I might as well stop hoarding runes and do something with 'em ... i'm not going to hold my breath for a Jah rune for Enigma ... but it would be ironic if one dropped after all this rumination. :laugh:

9. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Um, well you could stop hacking the game and come clean with a full delete and restart? :smiley:

Seriously, it's a tough call. As said before rwm rune words are pretty overpowered and mostly unnecessary for PvM. How about making a PvP character? Work out what class you want to make and then make a rwm rune word to suit. *Cough CtA, Cough....

10. herobomberman

herobomberman IncGamers Member

wait for a jah to drop? :p

a Lo rune dropped for me aggggeesss ago, but i never really could make a grief or fortitude with it, its still just sitting there.. CtA is easy to make, and certainly has nothing to do with Lo's and Sur's, (and by easy, i mean easy when compared to getting a Sur :rolleyes: )

CoH is pretty awesome, suits more chars that fort (youd hope so for a Ber) and would still allow you to make a grief/fort.

it just depends what your plans are teh for the game in general. want a 99? CoH, want to kill everything inthe face with a shield? Grief, love melee? Fort. are really optimistic you are gonna get a Jah? enigma:rolleyes:

whatever you do, do it for you :) (and a beast makes mfing fun'n'fast for a fishy)

11. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

CtA is easy to make?? If by getting a Mal, Ist and an Ohm you mean easy, than yes it is easy. :rolleyes:

Why, after you found a Lo, couldn't you make Fortitude? The next highest rune is Dol...

BnO, if it were me, I would make Beast, and still have a Lo left over for Fortitude/Grief. Obviously Fort is cheaper, but I'm assuming you'll have a Mal left over...

12. herobomberman

herobomberman IncGamers Member

sorry if there was some confusion (and sorry for teh off topic) i meant CtA is easy compared to say finding a Sur. CtA is a few (4-6 maybe) hellforge rushes, where as sur is alot more.... so to me, Sur is a bloody good find and makes a CtA look "easier". i dont have a cta (yet, 2 more hf rushes should do it), so i wouldnt actually say its just plain "easy"

and i found a Mal off nm baal b4 my Lo or hell meph (very spookily after i told my bro (when i found my Mal) "wikid now im just one rune away from grief")

i just couldnt "spend" the runes (mal and Lo were my onyl HR's next highest was like... hel or something (now its a diff story) so yeah, i couldve make a fort too, i just didnt feel like i "needed" it.... woah lots off topic sorry.

/back on topic

hope you post what you do with those runes, its nice to see high (legit) runewords, look very sexc.

13. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

I'll go with the CoH for its versatility. :wink:

Grats with the find! :smiley:

--maxgerin

14. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Well, with all the uses Lo has I wouldn't cube 'em. Grief, Fortitude, another Fortitude maybe? :badteeth:

Sur could be used for Bramble or saved until you find another one (Like I am.)

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Well, I am voting Fortitude + Beast.
    I have 2xSur right now and I am deciding myself between Beast and CoH. But right now, I want to try some unorthodox builds as bearchantress and 2FPA sin rather than having uber CoH armor.
    Fortitude can make some unorthodox melee builds much stronger (as jabberzon, double swing etc.)

16. chrischar

chrischar IncGamers Member

My voting may seem strange,but I would make the Ber and then wait for a Jah to make an Enigma.

17. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

I'm pretty surprised that some members are really serious about making Ber and then wait for Jah to drop.

I think that Enigma is seriously overrated. Although the armor is good in almost any aspect, a CoH can offer the same bonus and still don't make you spend so much runes in it, the +1 to teleport may be a blessing for PvP, but for PvM is not really needed.

My fishy found a very good amulet with teleport charges and I'm pretty happy with it, no need for a oh-so-ubber-so-dreamed-so-needed-h4x0r-1337-makeyoudrool Enigma.

After finding 3 Lo's and Sur, do anyone think that the D2 gods will still smile to BnO? I think the Jah will drop in 2 or 3 years, I would rather put to use those Lo's and Sur and if the Jah ever drops, well, a Ber can also drop :rolleyes:

Besides, chars do have means of good moving aside from teleport: Barbs can use Leap Attack, Paladins can use charge + vigor, other chars can use a good FRW rare boots, really I think the +1 is really really really overrated (not that is not useful, just very overrated).

My suggestion BnO? make Grief and Fortitude if you enjoy melee chars, you will be near unstopable with those items. Make Beast if you think you will still play a lot your fishy or you will make another fishy (it also helps melee chars), make CoH if you want to swap the armor between chars

18. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

If you have a realistic shot to make Enigma (you could HF rush it in 2 months with what you have), then I think that's by far the best use for your runes. Try playing your favorite sorc through WSK without tele or with only a tele ammy and compare it with your usual playstyle, and I think you'll gain a more practical understanding of what Enigma offers. You say you don't particularly like melee, so why waste the runes on predominantly melee gear?

19. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

Not to argue Kabal, but you said a keyword: playstyle.

Obviously, a sorc in the WSK with no teleport or from amulet charges is ilogical, but sorcs have teleport as their ability and it fits in their playstyle.

It's all about playstyle, my fishy for example, with all those tanks rarely needed to teleport (only to re-position the army) so the amulet was perfect for my playstyle.

A melee barb does have high amounts of life, and even if gets surrounded it can go out with leap attack of WW, it's melee style makes teleport much less of a concern, and even then LA and WW are wonders.

A melee paladin normally has holy shield, which means both defense and high block, so teleport is more for moving issues, it's melee style makes teleport less of a concern (where charge + vigor really helps), exception can be the hammerdin, but then again, hammerdins without enigma are still very effective.

An amazon has an incredible tank (valkyrie) and normally plays ranged, so teleport is not a big concern, if needed teleport charges are really awesome since it's seldom needed because of their playstyle.

An assasin has another incredible tank (shadow master) and with skills like CoS and mind blast it has an incredible crowd control, teleport is seldom needed because of this.

A druid can have good tanks (wolves, bear) or a good armor (cyclone armor), and still it can make room with molten boulder, even then, with things like werewolf and spirit of the oak, their life can go to the roof, even surrounded they can easily survive, teleport again, fits to moving issues only (FRW boots are wonder here).

That's why I said, IN MY OPINION ONLY, Enigma is way overrated. In runes it is quite costly, and with the price of enigma you can make fort, grief, beast or other runewords (and even some of them together). The +1 to teleport, is very good, I agree with that, but it is way overrated, most chars with their playstyle have medium to very little use to teleport, and with the price of Enigma you can make several other runewords, which you can try new builds.

This may not fit with "wacky" builds, which may require teleport, but, then again, the most powerfull weapon a player has is it's ability, players like Jiansonz, Wolron and Insane Wayne have proved it once and again. This is not B.net no need to brag about an item or to do 2 months rushes just to get one single rune

20. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

You don't need to convince me that there are viable playstyles without Enigma, I've never said otherwise. I do, however, think you're off base in assessing how much certain builds benefit from Enigma. Enigma is one of the very, very few items that can take certain characters from "very effective" to "unstoppable killing machine" (Grief, Fortitude, and Beast can collectively do the same thing for a melee character, but it seems that bill prefers caster to melee).

For example, I've played a hammerdin both with and without Enigma and I can assure you that there's no comparison between the two. Charge+vigor requires line of sight, carries the same defense/block penalties as running (0 and 1/3rd respectively), doesn't carry your merc with you, and when traveling from point A to point B you're still liable to get hit by attacks in-between. On top of that, teleport solves the issue of aiming hammers (or nadoes for a windy, summons for a necro, etc.) which is problematic for a fair number of people.

If you prefer to use charge+vigor over teleport then it's your right to do so, but I don't see how anyone could claim that doing so is anywhere near as effective in terms of either killing speed or safety.

That's only for hammerdins since that's what I play the most, but I'm sure the other Enigma users can offer testimony on the other builds.