Google maps mystery.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
Google maps mystery.

Click here.

Click here.

Notice anything? Probably not, neither did I at first:

SMH said:
On the internet, a little mystery can go a long way.

Six weeks ago, a man living in Germany and calling himself KenGrok, announced a fascinating discovery on a Google Earth Community forum.

Poring over satellite images of China on the free Google Earth service, he came across a strange plot of land - approximately 900 metres by 700 metres, about the size of six Sydney Cricket Grounds.

The land, which KenGrok said was landscape that had been modelled for military purposes, is situated near the town of Huangyangtan about 35 kilometres from Yinchuan, the capital of the autonomous region of Ningxia, in northern China.

Nearby, there is a substantial facility complete with rows of red-roofed buildings, scores of what look to be military trucks and a large compound with elevated lookout posts and a large communications tower.

The land was contoured in a way that was out of sync with the surrounding countryside.

It appeared to be a mountainous region, complete with snow-capped peaks and glacial valleys dotted with numerous lakes.

Yet this piece of land was slap bang in the middle of a largely arid area due west of the rich alluvial plains bordering the upper reaches of the Yellow River.

A fellow Google Earth enthusiast suggested that the topography indicated that this was probably a model of land on one of China's frontiers.

KenGrok went looking and two weeks later came back with the answer. The swatch was a scale model of 157,500 square kilometres of territory in and around China's Aksai Chin border region that abuts India and Pakistan.

The scale is exactly 500:1.
:shocked:

More here.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
I noticed it right away, because the land doesn't match. Then it struck me: Why not? When Google Maps covers up something, they normally blur it so that it is invisible or just put grey over it. However, someone has gone to great lengths to not show what is under that land. Very strange.

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
We are sorry but we do not have maps at this zoom level for this region.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
pancakeman said:
I noticed it right away, because the land doesn't match. Then it struck me: Why not? When Google Maps covers up something, they normally blur it so that it is invisible or just put grey over it. However, someone has gone to great lengths to not show what is under that land. Very strange.
Don't google have an agreement with Chine re: censorship?

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
For some reason I still don't get it?

One image shows some mountains while the other shows some fields?

The only part "I think I understood" was that it's the same map, and nobody would zoom in on the mountains because they're boring?

While doing so would reveal those military fields or?

PFS

Diabloii.Net Member
Dawnmaster said:
For some reason I still don't get it?

One image shows some mountains while the other shows some fields?

The only part "I think I understood" was that it's the same map, and nobody would zoom in on the mountains because they're boring?

While doing so would reveal those military fields or?
The square area in the first map has the mountains of the second map instead of what is really there. The mountains shown in the first map are NOT there in reality - their graphic is being used to hide whatever really is there.

The mountains are really from an area a looong way away.

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
PFS said:
The square area in the first map has the mountains of the second map instead of what is really there. The mountains shown in the first map are NOT there in reality - their graphic is being used to hide whatever really is there.

The mountains are really from an area a looong way away.
I feel like an idiot now :rolleyes:

Beepy

Diabloii.Net Member
pancakeman said:
When Google Maps covers up something, they normally blur it so that it is invisible or just put grey over it. However, someone has gone to great lengths to not show what is under that land.
It's not an edited/cover image by google - that >is< a picture of what is there. It is a scale model (500:1) of the terrain of the second map.

PFS

Diabloii.Net Member
Beepy said:
It's not an edited/cover image by google - that >is< a picture of what is there. It is a scale model (500:1) of the terrain of the second map.
Ooohhhh...

Bet the locals in the area concerned are real happy about a scale model of their area being constructed by the chinese military... It's nice when people pay you attention...

Quite worrying really - that would ahve cost a fortune to build - you don't go spending that much money just to have a pretty landscape to look at.

Veilside

Diabloii.Net Member
PFS said:
Ooohhhh...

Bet the locals in the area concerned are real happy about a scale model of their area being constructed by the chinese military... It's nice when people pay you attention...
Maybe they're training the midget army for mountain warfare and need a scaled mountain model? :rolleyes:

Beepy

Diabloii.Net Member
Veilside said:
Maybe they're training the midget army for mountain warfare and need a scaled mountain model? :rolleyes:
Or trying out hedgehog combat scenarios to see if is worth genetically engineering 500 foot war hedgehogs?

PFS

Diabloii.Net Member
Veilside said:
But 500:1? Chinese people aren't THAT small!

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Haha, I loved that.

"It could be a military miniature designed to practice the widespread dispersal of weapons of mass destruction, or . . . a putt-putt course."

Reminds me of Lewis Black's summary of the intelligence presentations leading up to the current Iraq war.

"And they showed us a picture of a factory, and there was a truck leaving just as Hans Blix was entering, and that truck was carrying a weapon of mass destruction or . . . ice cream."

Matt

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
If you look around the area of the "fake mountain field" one, particularly to the North West, there are some other strange markings on the land, cant really tell what they are, definitly manmade though.

-Matt