good yet cheap sword for barbarian merc?

jake007

Diabloii.Net Member
good yet cheap sword for barbarian merc?

I decided on a barbarian over an act2 merc for my meteorb sorceress. At the moment he's lvl 41 and will be equiping the typical shafstop and vamp gaze soon. I'm still deciding on the sword which he will use at high levels.

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
buy a col blade from hell lazruk and cube it with the 3 chip recipie. i got a nice 2s cruel and put in 2 perf skulls.

and then, a bul kathos cb dropped. :)

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
How cheap are we talking, here? A Doombringer would be nice, or a good Flamebellow. Lightsabre or Frostwind might work, but low on damage. Are you on ladder or sp? An upped Coldsteel Eye has nice mods, as does an upped Headstriker, and upped Crainte Vomir. Azurewrath could work too. For runewords, a passion Champion Sword would work well.

jake007

Diabloii.Net Member
My mind is currently set on an Ethereal Colossal Sword (NB: Not Colossus blade!) with Honor runeword.

Some people is asking for alot on the eth Colossal Sword though, I mean, act 5 merc isn't exactly the most popular guy on earth and the max socket of 5 cannot be a container of BotD yet this guy asked for an ist. When I refused the price he called me a NOOB and told me to CHECK YOUR F###ING PRICES (with capital letter).

Sigh...

EDIT: I have a headstriker on me, but the runes needed to UG is a bit to high.

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
are they worth a lot? i've been just ignoring them. for myself i'm looking for an oath weapon.

jake007

Diabloii.Net Member
are they worth a lot? i've been just ignoring them. for myself i'm looking for an oath weapon.
They are useless for 99.999% of the diablo players. The guy who tried to trade his for an ist might be mistakening Colossal sword with Colossum blade. The later worth an ist+ when ethereal as it can have 6 OS for BotD

Edit Edit: Doombringer looks promising, already placed a bid in trade.

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
personally i don't like doom much. but, then again, i've only used 2 a5 mercs in 3 years. (funny thing is that the first one used the bk long too. :))

oath is a good choice imho. very easy to get a 4s etheral 2h sword (highland, balrog, champion) and all of them will hit the last ww breakpoint, so you can use it on a ww barb later. damage should easily be double doom.

i like crescent moon too. it has magic absorb and itd.

if i ever do another a5 merc though, he's got to use the sazabi set.

jake007

Diabloii.Net Member
The thing that draws me to doombringer is the +20% max hp and the little leech it offers.

I'll hopefully be getting it for pgems so no complain there.

bluedragoon

Diabloii.Net Member
jake007 said:
They are useless for 99.999% of the diablo players. The guy who tried to trade his for an ist might be mistakening Colossal sword with Colossum blade. The later worth an ist+ when ethereal as it can have 6 OS for BotD

Edit Edit: Doombringer looks promising, already placed a bid in trade.
a 5 soc eth col sword is The best 2 handed weapon for death, so might be worth something, altough not a lot of people use death

MoonUnit

Diabloii.Net Member
My cl/orb sorc merc uses full sazabi's set...he does ok in nm and hell but gets royally screwed vs bosses :(

HardyZ

Diabloii.Net Member
i would never put a 1 handed weapon on an act5 barb mercenary, it's too much of a loss. Act5 mercs want 2 handed big swords, nothing else! What about their big muscles if they have to wield a ridiculous little sword?

More seriously, 1 handed weapons will never come anywhere close to 2 handed weapons in terms of damage, and what would be the point on a merc that can't use a shield anyway?

Doom isn't that bad an option, i really liked that weapon back in the days when i played barbs, but you should really consider ethereal weapons only on an act5 merc. You'll loose the benefits of act2 mercs' auras, so what can make your make your merc shine is that act5 mercs can be slightly better in pure offense(not that it offsets the loss of the aura, but well). And keep in mind that higher dmg means more Life Leech, which means higher survivability.

I'd favour an ethereal Flamebellow over a doombringer for example, even if Doombringer's mods are better.

If you're on ladder, i think your best cheap bet is:

- "Oath" in an ethereal highland blade/balrog blade/champion sword(I'd pick Highland Blade, but that's just me). Insane dmg, easily attainable.

- Upgraded ethereal crainte vomir could be a great option too, with its DR, insane speed(base -15 and 50%IAS!), and slow(a true wonder on uniques/act bosses), a free socket for personalization, and not too expensive.

- The non-ladder options

On non-ladder, my cheap picks would be:

- "Crescent Moon" in ethereal Legend Sword (if you can afford the um rune, that is), the ctc Static Field and decent speed(base -15 and 20%IAS) really work wonders! 25%OW is really sweet too, especially on bosses/(super)uniques. The magic absorb is as good as, say fire absorb, but it never hurt. You could get your Legend Sword superior with %ed too, as they aren't really used, and so, easy to get. That would really be my top pick on non-laddder! Static is sooooooo good!

- Ethereal Flamebellow socketed with Amn rune/eth rune/dmg jewel/shael/whatever cheap comes to your mind. Can achieve pretty decent dmg, And the high fire absorb on it will really save your merc several times! It has better dmg than "Honor"(even better than "crescent moon", but it has worse mods, so does less dmg over time i think), 233-482 Fire Damage
isn't all that bad and makes your merc "less useless" when facing physical immunes, you have a socket to improve it, you just loose the 25%DS found on "Honor". And i've seen some in giveaways! You should be able to get one for Pgems anyway, it's really cheap. Super-cheap option N°1!

- "Honor" in an ethereal collossus sword(dirt cheap, decent dmg, LL, 25%DS). Ethereal Flamebellow is better to me, but still a nice option. Super-cheap option N°2!

- Doombringer & Grandfather have always been good swords, but i'd favour an ethereal sword, really, and these 2 can't be. Both are decent anyway. "Honor" beats a perfect doombringer in terms of dmg, and that's a for a non-sup "Honor"! Grandfather beats "Honor" in terms of dmg, but you can equip "Honor" at lvl60, Grandfather at lvl81! So, "Honor" then Grandfather in that case.

- "Passion" in an ethereal highland blade/Balrog Blade/Champion Sword/Collossus Blade/Collossus Sword could be an option too, but i find it inferior to "Honor" for that purpose, and "Honor" is way cheaper. The wonderful mods on "Passion" are in no way usefull to a merc(+1 zeal/vengeance, etc...). I'd keep the LEM rune for something else.

These are my picks, hope it helps!

Good luck with your merc!

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm... I totally forgot about Crescent Moon. That would be nice too, although as a sorc you can simply cast static. Admittedly though I only static bosses.

For Passion, it's actually the hit blinds target and make monster flee that makes me recommend it. It's nice to have a bit of crowd control on your side, especially when your merc has no HF aura. And if you can bring yourself to make it in a non-ethereal item, you can use it for some unconventional builds like berserkazon or zealbarb.

k/t

Banned
Why would you put 2 perfect skulls in a weapon for a merc? Put 2 Amn runes instead. 14% life leech instead of 8%.

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
k/t said:
Why would you put 2 perfect skulls in a weapon for a merc? Put 2 Amn runes instead. 14% life leech instead of 8%.
my thinking is exactly opposite: why put amn runes in a merc wep when you can just use pskulls?

sirmessbu

Diabloii.Net Member
Well using 2 perfect skull give 8% life leech and some mana leech(useless for mercenary).

Then 2 amn rune would mean 14% life leech, its almost the double, way much better.

Usualy its not that hard to come across an amn or even 3 thul and a chiped topaz.