Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good to See

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by TopheavyHookjaw, Mar 16, 2004.

1. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

Good to See

Most of you probably don't remember me but I used to post a bit back in the early 1.09 days. Usually upon the topic of anti-PK, but mostly about just plain survival. Since I started playing this game in Hardcore Mode almost immediately upon release, I've learned quite a bit about this topic.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I happy to see that there are still some people who enjoy the game for what it is and have formed good gaming groups (posts from GAT and KTA come to mind).

I haven't ventured out into public games for a while now, as I have taken the challenge of soloing the entire game (all difficulties) without help (2 successes/2 failures), but its good to know that there are still some decent players out there to game with.

Hope to see some of you out there...if I ever venture back into public play.

2. cyradis2003

cyradis2003 IncGamers Member

*dons her official barbie greeter uniform*
    Welcome back to the forum!!! Please notice the exits to the rear of the plane ... building trainwreck thingy ....

This just reminded me that there hasn't been a pk war thread in at lest 2 weeks - come on people, quit slacking off!

Allow me to start the flame war:

I, Cy, am completely ambivilant about the whole pk issue .... so NYAH!
    Take that you pro pk and con pk people!

LOL sorry - felling silly and the work day looms ahead ... like a never ending slog through act 3 with no minimap and I am out of arrows...

3. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

ouch, that's harsh... don't forget the cube recipe that takes two "run away from a customer" coupons and turns them into one "run away from your boss" coupon (and vica versa!) :D

and welcome back topheavy... out of curiousity, what two builds have suceeded, and which two have failed?

4. TopheavyHookjaw

Well,

I have a very successfull Tanker Zealot (currently 90), believe it or not, and he was built after loosing my first Zealot. I know, most of you are saying "Zealot...what the hell?" Just a few stats off the top of my head: Damage is 1500-2000 per swing, Max Block, 25K Def, all Res at 90% plus cold and fire absorb from Dwarf and Raven. I have a cresent moon on the switch for static, goreriders for CB, OW and DS, and use Drac's for the life tap as well as about 25% DR and 16% Life leech (don't worry about the manna since its only 2 per zeal). I can take on almost anything except for Conviction/MSLE combinations. I've taken down DC without any problems. For IM and Dolls I use my merc and a set of Demon's Arches.

I also have a very successful Skelemancer with full Trangs set and Marrows. Enough said there.

I know most of you would say "Well hell, anyone can succeed with stuff like that" but I must point out that I didn't start with that. My first zealot managed to find the GA and SoE. The rest was found by the current zealot (Zealous_Fanatic) along the way. I found most of Trangs and traded some Pali GCs for the rest.

As for unsuccessful characters: My first zealot (not enough def) and a fury druid (high HP doesn't mean much when you run into a large pack of might enchant archers who's boss is ES and EF while running away from another pack while cursed). Couldn't hit ESC fast enough...more my stupidity than anything but, oh well.

I may end up writing a guide for the tanker_zealot one day...if I ever find the time.

5. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

interesting... i'm a huge pali fan but have put them aside for the moment (throw-barb, mf sorcy rebuild are the current projects) except for an untwinked party-pali with SCD. i tried a fanatic zealot in sp with the beta 1.10 over the summer, and he did great, until he ran into nm fe/other mods, which tended to kill him. Good life, def, res, but not great equip. I'm hopeing to accumulate enough pali gear to get one going soon, but i'm a little nervous about going zealot... thinking veang/conv for huge resists.

How did you get through nm without running into a nasty boss that finished you off? The couple times I died were things that I couldn't avoid, and often my merc ate it too fast to be of great help (he was my lvl, but as this was sp he didn't gave good gear). Gib details plz :D

6. TopheavyHookjaw

Well, honestly, I got through tough spots by building my pali for def and res in order to survive. I tried to make the most balanced character possible since I was solo and couldn't depend on anyone else to do the work for me. Searching for a good shield was key. I found a +40 res crown shield which I socketed with 4 P Diamonds for 116 total res. Almost all of my other equip was built with high def and maybe one other mod (starting up with nothing here, remember). I also used a defiance merc who I still have (even though his contribution is minimal now). I also made sure to have a fair amount of life leech and the highest damage weapon possible with decent speed. I didn't worry about IAS too much since I primarily used Fanatacism.

I got through PIs by buying elemental weapons first and then using Djini Slayer (eventually replaced by Nords) that NM Baal dropped (I think...maybe in Pits). *Melee was no problem since I maxed HS early and worked on defiance quite a bit (high def/high block). Elementals were no problem once I equiped the GA (which I eventually upgraded and socketed with -req) and the Dwarf/Raven ring combo. I got by dolls and those damn Oblivion Mages with IM by going slow, having my merc do a lot of tanking and using cruel throwing weapons that I bought (eventually replaced by Arches).

You are right that this build is very equip driven to be ultimately successful. However, I would argue that anyone could make it work by playing through the game, taking is slow when need be, buying the right stuff and trading wisely. Hmmm. In other words, playing the game the way it was designed.

I may decide to finally write a guide with hypothetical ultimate gear. Doing some quick calcs leads me to believe that with the right gear, a Tanker_Zealot could get up to 30K def , 75% block, 90-95% Res, and over 1.5 K life (I have that now). The only downside is killing is a bit slower than maxed out spell casters, but I definately can stand in the middle of a nasty group and lag out without dying. I've done so many times. IMHO, this set up is the best tank of all classes...now if I could only manage to put a CTA together.

7. cyradis2003

cyradis2003 IncGamers Member

Wow .... looks like they took my call for a pk - anti pk flame war seriously ... I think I may need to hide in here.

The pally info is actually pretty cool, I have never made one before and it looks like it may be fun ( I am in a druid phase at the moment )