Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good teachers vs "uncaring" teachers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Luckymofo, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

Good teachers vs "uncaring" teachers

How many of you do better in school/college when you have a good teacher
    that cares about how well you do in class? I know I do.

My argument and persuasion professor is a down-to-earth type of professor that relates to students and uses humor and ''casual'' language to communicate and teach us. Good professors like her challenges us and makes us think about ourselves; she ''wakes'' us up to reality and what happens in books don't necessarily happen in real life.

She is the opposite of most of my other professors. They are the kind that don't care about students and go by the book. They say that what happens in the book, will happen in real life, 99.9% of the time. What the book doesn't include are other factors like timing, different kinds of people, and exceptions.

My A & P course has over 30 students, but the professor still manages to give each of us individual attention and gives us answers in layman's terms and not technical answers. Yes, I know that some courses require basic knowledge of the subject, but the professors sometimes gives answers that are too technical when the answer could have been explained better or easier.

In my experience, I did well in courses where the teacher acted like a casual, down-to-earth person that cared about individual needs and had humor.
    One more example of a good professor was my financial account professor.
    Business is a very serious and technical subject, but let's just say that he
    basically made the aspects easier for us to understand and use jokes to connect the ideas, which I thought were nice.

Sorry for the long post, but I really enjoyed my class today.

2. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

It depends on what subject the textbook is about, of course, and what the textbook contains about that subject.

Other than that, though, I agree. My philosophy teacher last year used technical terms, but only after he had introduced them and explained them in laymen's terms, with humor, and with real-life examples. Once introduced, that technical language is often much better for explaining things, because background concepts are already hidden in the words, making any explanation more powerful.

I have had lots of good teachers like that at my school, fortunately.

3. Damnatorius

Damnatorius IncGamers Member

I always forget what all the technical terms mean after they've been explained so going to those classes doesn't really help me much, I'm sure they can use easier words :mad:

4. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

I have a hard-ass construction class teacher. He's a little grinch, and he really doesn't give a ****. But I think he's ok because he tells people who need to shut up to shut up. Its sometimes funny. Sometimes a teacher who pisses you off is incentive to prove em wrong and do better.

5. HOTCHIC

HOTCHIC IncGamers Member

My experiences have differed by being a parent. My son went through 2 years of Kindergarten then 1st grade all the while I was trying to get the school to test him or give him extra help because he wasn't getting it. I mean nothing at all. His last teacher in 1st said he was doing just fine. BS. Then why did he get to 2nd grade this year and suddenly he is in every remedial class they make? He still can barely read and is now way behind his classmates. The worst part is that he knows he doesn't know stuff. We had to beg the district and get our own outside evaluations done for him. This year's teacher was finally smart enough to say he was failing and needed help. He doesn't care to much for his teacher, but he understands that he is learning, finally.

Hard teachers who care are definately better.

6. HOTCHIC

HOTCHIC IncGamers Member

sorry i hit submit twice

7. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Good teachers can make a huge difference in a person's life. They can impact how a child thinks about school, thinks about themselves, and how they think about life.

I had a 5th grade teacher that did just that for me. Up until 5th grade my attitude about school had always been that "average" was perfectly acceptable. My 5th grade teacher made me excited about doing well in school, and my scholastic career did much better after that.

I find that there are some teachers with the "gift" for teaching, and many who don't. It doesn't mean that teachers without the gift can't be good teachers, but there are definitely those that excel way beyond the norm. Conversely (and sadly), there are also teachers that are there that should not be doing it. However, you'll find this in just about every field you look at - people that stay in a profession when they should not be there.

I had a former co-worker (that left my office 2 months ago, thank god), who was NOT meant to be a social worker! She was rude, self-serving, and didn't truly have a heart to want to help people. She ended up quitting to go pursue a career in rodeo (I kid you not). I hope that she finds happiness with her horse. She isn't missed here.

8. Damnatorius

Damnatorius IncGamers Member

I think it's even more a problem in university (at least here) since any profs that are there for research are forced to also spend a certain amount of their time giving classes...At least in highschool etc the teacher chose their job because they wanted to teach, don't know why you'd accept those low wages and long hours if you didn't at least want to do your best to teach children something.

Too bad some are just not meant to be teachers, however much willing they are, none of them ever managed to motivate me enough to get me studying so I could get above average scores :rolleyes:

9. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

Well I've heard that there are some people who are teachers because they didn't have much of a choice. They could have failed at a major they were trying to accomplish and had to stick to teaching. An example would be someone who tried to become an engineer but couldn't make it so they had to become a high school physics teacher instead. At least that's what I've been told. But I've had a lot of bad teachers in high school. I've even had a teacher that handed out worksheets and showed us movies the whole year and never once taught a lesson.

10. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

Well how I see it is independant learning, you cant expect them to be in the same mindset... so I made a habbit of writing down all the words I didn't understand, then at home I would look them up, write them down and think back to the lesson so I could further understand it.