Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good starter Mf'er

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by jlymer, May 13, 2005.

1. jlymer

jlymer Diabloii.Net Member

Good starter Mf'er

I just got back into the game, haven't played since before 1.10 came out so im still learning all the new templates and runewords and such. So far all i have is one Hammerdin, lvl 70ish, with garbage equipment. I was looking for some advice on what kind of character would be a cheap but hopefully effective MF'er for my situation. Please post any templates/strats you feel would be useful, ill try out the ones that sound good. Keep in mind the only notable items I currently have are an Alma Negra shield and some Waterwalk boots.

2. HardyTarget

HardyTarget Diabloii.Net Member

I think sorceress is the most common MF character out there, pretty fast mover & can get a decent MF.
    About magic find equipment, you could use Goldwrap (1pg), skullder's (~ 10pg), wartravelers (low ones for pul-um), Shako (~ 15-20 pg), changeguards & nagelrings etc. Most MF items are pretty cheap. For a sorc I might add Oculus, of course. For a hammerdin, maybe an alibaba & some MF shield.
    Remember that's it's better to be able to kill a huge load of enemies fast with a low MF than the other way around.

Cheers.

EDIT: as for myself, I use a hammerdin with nearly perfect gheed & change guards + shako with ptopaz, eth skullder + ptopaz & 7mf sc's. ~ 300mf
    300-500 MF should be enough, any more than that doesn't raise the chances that much anymore and reduces your effectiveness in a battle.

3. dang79

dang79 Diabloii.Net Member

Skelimancers are good starter MF also.

4. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard Diabloii.Net Member

Well, hammerdins are good magic finders...not sure what build you are using.

Here are some good starter MF builds that I have experience with.

Ligntning Trapper with Fireblast backup
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=513

She is very item independent. Shop at Anya for claws, running in and out of Pindle's portal to make Anya's inventory reset. With a merc and a shadow master you have 2 tanks. Use fade and you have no resist problems and can go all out magic find. Fireblast makes a decent backup to your lightning traps.

Max Damage Hammerdin
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=535
    Max vigor before blessed aim. Vigor not only lets you get places faster it also lets you position yourself where you want to start spamming your hammer fields at before monsters can react. Get HOZ when you can, and get wizard spike (very very cheap.) With an UM in your HOZ and wizard spike your resists are pretty much set.

Blizzard-Firewall Sorceress
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=217480
    My favorite sorceress. Use Glacial spike as your main synergy for blizzard instead of Ice Blast. GS gives you excellent crowd control and firewall is a good backup attack. You will need to keep your merc leveled, but since you can freeze groups of monsters to let him get the kill that is not hard to do. Because she can freeze all non cold immunes and both her attacks are long ranged, she is very safe to play and can kill almost as fast as a pure blizzard sorceress while being more versatile. She can do all the runs. No problems with Lister's minions because they are all frozen.

GOW

5. darkesthero

darkesthero Diabloii.Net Member

I also new to the game, just restarted last month.

Teleport is very important. I believe you don't have nigma. So soceress is the best choice imho.

I think blizzard soceress is pretty good. Get a good merc too. Do baal run for leveling, then try to save anya with some nice people, then do pindle, he can drop pretty good item, and very safe usually. Anceint tunnel too.

I used topzed helm, armor and ali baba at the begining, then shako and tal armor, now tal set after I got some charms as well as other good mf rings boot and glove. Still have more than 400 mf and good resist.

good luck.

6. front243

front243 Diabloii.Net Member

I recommend sorceress, because teleport is so important to get to the bosses fast, and you probably can't afford the "Teleport-runeword"[*] yet :)

I recommend these builds:

Blizzard Sorceress (The fastest Meph and Pindleskin killer as far as I know, but other places she will have troubles with cold-immunes. Also good for Ancient Tunnels and Andy)
    Meteorb Sorceress (Can do anything Meph, Pits, Ancient Tunnels, Andy etc. But doesn't kill bosses quite as fast as Blizzard)

Sorceress Guides
    Pits Guide

As for equipment, I usually start out with 4 Perfect Topaz armor and 3 Perfect Topaz Helmet. Start with Nightmare bosses if Hell is too hard for you. Nightmare bosses can still drop a lot of useful things, like most of the MF gear you want.

[*] Enigma. Jah+Ith+Ber in a 3 socket Body Armor.

7. Cerberus

Cerberus Diabloii.Net Member

Im happy with my meteorb. Not the best for any particular run, but gives you the option to do other things if you grow tired of the same areas.
    Front242s link contains the guide I used.

What realm are you playing BTW?
    I might have some starter MF-items for you if your on europe