Good PvM Build?

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Good PvM Build?

I really like the versatility of the Paladin in terms of possible builds, but I'm not entirely sure if this build is going in the right direction, at least in terms of skills. Since I'm not as familiar with items, I can't really give an equipment setup (suggestions would be great!).

This is going to be an elemental paladin, though I can't decide on which build I want.

The Avenger looks nice, with a high damage one-handed weapon he would have a great deal of elemental damage (if you invested a TON of points in synergies).

The Frostladin and Tesladins look great too, but I tend to shy away from lightning in general because of its unreliability. It could do 3k damage or it could do 1 damage, whereas cold is a guaranteed 700-1000 damage.

However, should I go for the Holy Freeze/Shock Auras granted by items and use Conviction as my own active aura? I could just invest the points in the appropriate res Aura for synergies and use +skills items to take the HF or HS aura to or beyond lvl 20.

Then my left click skill could be hotkeyed and switched between Zeal/Vengeance/Whatever for attacking.

Any ideas?

EDIT: This char is going to be in PvM, not PvP

levitikus

Diabloii.Net Member
The dreamer seems to be the most popular now at days. or straight auradin with dragon/ dream setup. and yes using the Conviction aura as your own. but If you want to be creative or try your own build you should. for speed and multiple attacks and uninteruptable attacks I would go with zeal whichever build you choose. The ar and 5 hits along with speed make it dish out the most power IMO. I was thinking about a build that uses a basic zealot build but using holy fire aura from items (dragon hoj) on top of the fanat aura for max dmg and using a phoenix for the % DMg and -Fire res mods along with the redemption aura... hrm sounds like a beastly char to me. but try something different, it what makes the game so fun..

safetypro

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi Alpha,
I always recommend building a zealot to persons trying Paladins for the first time. The zealot is a superior build for PvM and can also run ubers once completed. There is nothing wrong with Elemental builds (I have one myself) however, having an uber capable character early on really helps when you want to gather torches for other builds or for trading purposes. As far as gear goes, try a search for the 1 point smiter guide.

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the advice!

I think, since I'm starting my first b.net char and don't have mules and whatnot, that I'll go for a Frostladin with perhaps a Dragon runeword armor thrown in. That way I can still get myself a Herald of Zakarum shield and a good one-h weapon.

By the way, what are you guys' suggestions for high phys damage one-handed weapons? Regardless of whether I use Zeal or Vengeance, the best weapons would be those with the highest physical damage, right? That way I make the most out of the %ED on skills/non-weapon items and the +% elemental damage from Vengeance.

Bladewind

Diabloii.Net Member
Best elemental paladin tends to be the dreamerdins where they use their power in conjunction with Conviction.