Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good places/ways to level that might merc?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Jaimes, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Good places/ways to level that might merc?

Well I've made the trudge to 74 after a frustrating night of people who don't know much about the game infesting Baal runs... And my poor merc is stuck around 53 or so. I plan to do Pit runs now that I've beaten Baal, but the Merc needs to be up to snuff. Where are a few efficient places to level him?

I've been thinking about public cow games... They should suffice to bring the merc up to ~70+ and there is always the multiplayer exp bonus if people join. Corpse Explosion will be able to do some damage here which = kills and therefore exp for me and my merc.

Really though I can't fathom anywhere else that would even be close to as good as the cow level. CE is the only way a summoner necro with merely mediocre gear can get quick kills, and quick kills are what's needed for mercs.

2. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

You say your merc is lev 53! Well now it depends what gear you have for him!

Lets say you can equip him with Shaft, crown of thieves and honesundan!
    Now with this gear on him you can level him in the pits (hell mode). Try to give him potions from time to time to keep him alive if possible! Ranged attackers might harm him anyway so keep an eye on him!

Now if u dont have good gear for him try to level him in act 4 and 5 in nightmare mode. Chaos might be a problem cause of the IM casted from oblivion nights! In act 5 level him in cristaline passage, ancients way and worldstone keep. It might take a while but this should do the trick! When he is close to level 70 start making pitruns in hellmode!

Hope it helps!

/Dec

P.S The above methods work for me and I usally train my merc alone or together with another friend.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

When lvl'ing your merc you should play alone because he won't get experience from other peoples kills..Also if he is only lvl 53 I don't think you should lvl him in Hell...First of he'd be very fragile..secondly a merc needs to be at almost the same lvl as the monsters he kills otherwise he will hardly get any experience...I think nightmare Flayer Jungle would be an ideal place to level your mercenary up...The monster lvls there should correspond to your mercs, and lots of small flayers that can easily be blown up...Try to watch how much experience he gets and when any given area "runs out" move on to the next.

4. PoorCobbler

PoorCobbler IncGamers Member

if you find that your merc dies fast remember you can press shift + 1-4 to feed him a potion...im not sure that everyone knows this :eek:

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Or try to use LT. A lot of people tend to ignore that curse.

6. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Yep I know that, I am just not so good at paying attention to his health ;) Will definitely be a problem later on..

I'm trying something fun (to me) this time I'm playing D2.. I'm trying to trade as little as possible and use only the stuff I find on my characters. So, no Shaftstop, Vamp's Gaze, etc. I'm looking to equip him with a Tal's helm, Bonehew and God knows what for armor.. That's what I have so far though.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go get to it right now :)

Edit: Do mercs get good exp from Baal runs? I'm thinking of doing WSK all the way when he gets a few levels on his belt, just because there's a tastey Baal at the end of it and I've seen some decent stuff drop from Baal before that I've missed getting (SoE, Shako, Demon Limb, etc).

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

In my experience mercs seem to gain more experience from QUANTITY of monsters killed than "QUALITY", from what I've seen my merc seems to level better actually getting to the throne room than fighting Baal's Minions. However, this doesn't mean that wiping up act 1 norm will give him decent experience, just that The Secret Cow Level and The Bloody Foothills and areas like that seem to be the most successful places I've found to level up my mercs (depending the merc's level/monster level relationship).

This leveling chart may help you, as it applies to mercs as well as players (if not moreso mercs)

8. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help.. I went and hit act 4 and 5 hard for my merc, he's currently 67.5ish. I managed to bring in a few runes too.. Shaelx2, Fal, Io, Thul..

I played in a lot of places that I haven't played in a long, long time. Was pretty refreshing. I think I've been to the Frozen Tundra about once since I got the expansion pack, and second time around I've found that I really like that zone ;)