Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good newbie builds?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Darkist Reign, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Darkist Reign

Darkist Reign Banned

Good newbie builds?

Hi y'all,
    I'm fairly new to these boards and this game, after playing a little multi-player via a gift account. I became bored with it. I was wondering how is the Single play aspect of this game,this board and what is a good build to play without any gear or anyway of getting that good gear that everyone wants? I like the build called 'The Hunter' I read about in the strat area of the main site. But it was writen in a patch I don't have (I have 1.10?) I asked on the druid forum and they said it still worked. Is it a good build to try with no gear?

Travis

2. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

i have a hunter druid somewere in act3 hell and he does fine and was one of my most fun build to play. But i would probarbly not have played him that far if i didn´t have the best item he could ever want.....you need good items to be able to do damage in hell. Im sure it can be done without but still....

I´d say the best and easiest build to play without any speciall gear would be the skellymancer (look in the sticked thread for fishy´s guide)

good luck :thumbsup:

3. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

definately this build: http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=126628

however - after a while you don't do anything but cast spells and get treasures... so you really feel like a sidekick... however it's a really easy build. i got to hell with no problems.

4. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Hi Travis. Welcome to the SPF. Hope you enjoy your stay.

The best build is, simply put, the one you enjoy playing. If the Hunter druid looks good to you, go for it. I've not tried it myself so I can't comment. There's a popular build for every class:

Necro - Skellimancer is the flavour of the month
    Pally - Zealot, a killing machine
    Sorc - MeteOrb & WeatherGirl are both common
    Druid - Wind seems popular
    Barb - Frenzy (ok, this is my favourite, not the boards :lol: ), another killing machine
    Assasin - Trappers get the nod right now
    Amazon - Bowazon and Javazon are both strong, specific skills up to you

The big rule here is "HAVE FUN!". In SP, it's your game. Just enjoy it and share your experiences with the gang.

See you at the EMB. Your first :drink: is on me. Cheers.

5. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Hello, Travis! :howdy:

Your questons have been already answered, so:

Welcome to SPF! Remember to have fun!

:)

6. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

If you haven't amassed that much gear, I'd recommend the fishymancer, as it's powerful and not all that gear dependent. From there you can begin to MF, and get some great gear for some more gear dependent characters.

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

to begin with ecause you wont have any good gear to give to your character, you want a skill, not item dependant character. id say hammerdin, meteorb sorc, lightnign fury zon, trapsin, or the wondeful fishymancer (i have 2 patted, there great!)

8. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal IncGamers Member

I say sorc

I am relatively new to SP D2 (clvl 50 sorceress) but i am a very expierenced D2 player, and in the past, I have made a Sorceress build that i find is usually pretty good but i dont hear anyone talking about it. It is built around frozen orb. Orb is set as the primary attack and there is no secondary skill. I know this can have problems with cold immunes, but keep a decent merc and you probably won't have to worry. You also learn the basics like Thunderstorm, energy shield, shiver armor, teleport, etc. One major plus of this build is that you use very little mana. It therefore frees up stat points to put in other stuff and you don't need super gear. My earlier mentioned sorc is this build and i just beat Duriel with almost no hassle. Hope this helps ya!

9. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

I know you said you rely on your merc to handle the cold immunes, but there are times when a merc has a very difficult time. Chaos Sanctuary in Hell, with CI Oblivion Knights + Iron Maiden is very bad for a melee merc, and a lot of mercs, especially melee ones, can be swarmed easily by the Act4 Grotesques, who are all CI in Hell. Also, except in rare cases, your merc will be limited to one major damage type. Yes, oftentimes your merc can do two types of damage, but for the most part, the 'secondary' types of damage will be very little compared to the life of monsters in Hell. Due to this, if you meet a boss with CI and immunity to your merc's main damage type, you're basically screwed. I'd strongly recommend maxing a backup attack skill. Thunderstorm is a nice one, as it functions basically as a passive skill once cast. Enchant can also be nice if you have a physical damage merc, though perhaps not as good, as you said you don't use much mana on this build, and thus probably won't have the hefty synergy of max Warmth.

My realm sorc, dating from the v1.09 days, is still one of my favorite characters. She was a tri-elementalist with max T-Storm, Hydra, and Orb, and while she didn't kill as fast as some more focussed sorcies, she could kill _anything_ in the game, given time, as nothing spawns with three immunities. She was a seriously fun character to play, on par with the pure bonemancer I've got going in SP now. She was also one of the few sorcies I've seen who tanked for her merc on Hell Meph runs- I had a rogue merc, and Meph's ice ball usually killed her in a hit or two, but I had lots of cold absorb and max resists, so between that and Energy Shield, it barely made a dent in my life. :)

10. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

hmz, good cookie-buils are
    -fishymancer
    -hammerdin
    -winddruid
    - javazone

but i agree with Tragor here, the best build is the one you have the most fun with, this is a game and your playing for fun, so why change that ;)

good luck with whatever build you may choose

robin

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Its really up to your playing style. I would suggest taking an assassin or another one of the chars into act 1 normal and decide whether you enjoy melee, magic or whatever type of playing style. Then pick a build to play with.

Better yet look at the skills and how they synergize and make your own build. Nearly all builds are able to get to Hell without extordiary equipment.

Goodluck with your choice.