Good merc choice

XtasyGrizzly

Diabloii.Net Member
Good merc choice

Ive just got my bone necro to act 2 nightmare hes lvl 50 atm :D

but i cant choose between Might merc or Holy freeze merc ? what would be the best choice i have some items to twink to him.

Thanks in advance

- XG

Kool69

Diabloii.Net Member
XtasyGrizzly said:
Ive just got my bone necro to act 2 nightmare hes lvl 50 atm :D

but i cant choose between Might merc or Holy freeze merc ? what would be the best choice i have some items to twink to him.

Thanks in advance

- XG
Depends on your character

krzyhobo

Diabloii.Net Member
Since immunities aren't really a concern for you and you don't need to rely on your merc fighting alone, I would vote for holy freeze.

JihadJesus

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, Might doesnt help you at all. The big question is whether or not you feel a Holy Freeze merc will be able to survive very well. I perosnally can't stand the dang things, but hey, if you like it it would add to your build. The Might aura only helps the merc leech, and you should be able to get decent lifesteal for him anyway. Also keep in mind that chilled corpses can shatter and not leave behind CE fodder. The defiance merc might survive alright against normal monsters also, but I don't think you get any real benefit from that. Really, this is a build that doesn't benefit nearly as much from merc auras as most characters - could be a good time to try out a barb merc. Equip him with a crescent moon weapon, good armor and helm, and he should stay upright most of the time, and even deliver a little punch.

[warning: all the above concerning barb mercs should be taken with a grain of salt, since I've never actually used one]

JihadJesus

Diabloii.Net Member
Unfortunatey damage returned is just crap in 1.10 since all the monsters do VERY low damage relative to their HP.

Shakes

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought rogue mercs were popular for bone necros. With huge hp of bone wall/prison it's not like you need a tank, and rogues can help pick off the first body from a safe distance for you to start a CE chain.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
personally i'd say might would be the most powerful option.
k33lz them MI n00bs. and throw on a reapers so u don't have to worry about that side of the curse tree. haha f00.

and not too mention it can help out a wee bit when u decide to use an arm of king leo on switch for free skellies and mages(good for fighting 'swarming' opponents).

rogue mercs are good with a nice rate of fire and the safety of being nice and far away. although if they do get caught they are terribly fragile, if you go with this one go fire.

holy freeze = shattered corpses = sux.

barbs are an interesting one. I like to use barbs when i use necros but they lack the staying power of a reapers merc. however if you cast decrep yourself they can be fun. grandfather, eth duriels and vamp gaze :D

slappy sam

Diabloii.Net Member
My vote goes with holy freeze. True, it will shatter ~half the corpses, but the added benefit of monsters going ~half the speed will make up for that. You will still get a decent amount of corpses to CE, and more once you CE once or twice. Might doesn't help YOU and that's what would bother me about that.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
slappy sam said:
My vote goes with holy freeze. True, it will shatter ~half the corpses, but the added benefit of monsters going ~half the speed will make up for that. You will still get a decent amount of corpses to CE, and more once you CE once or twice. Might doesn't help YOU and that's what would bother me about that.

if you want to put it like that holy freeze doesn't help YOU either.
not too mention with a gumby and decrep, aswell as bone walls and prisons(apply as needed.) the baddies aren't coming for you at a great rate of knots anyway.

I also agree with scars, kool69 should be publicly flogged!

XtasyGrizzly

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok , sorry corax ... but i took a might merc , i have just noticed that my clay golems actuly makes dmg on monsters :p sweeet^

EDIT 1 - Sorry for that stupid reply

slappy sam

Diabloii.Net Member
True, corax. I didn't think about decrep being your main curse for a bonemancer. Gumby does only slows 1 target though and isn't much help in large pack situations. You see I feel that holy freeze does benefit you because all the creatures are moving at about half the speed, giving you more time and space to get out of the way/kill them. Whereas might gives you no bonus other than the fact that your merc kills faster. Just my opinion...