Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good job or bad job...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MadMachine, Sep 18, 2006.

1. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

Good job or bad job...

I've been looking for a new job now ever since my current one reneged on their earlier offer of extending my contract and taking me on as a permanent employee once I've worked her for a year. (Read: They said 'we'll hire you after a year'; now say 'What? we never said that. You so crazy.)

Needless to say, I had a phone interview and have a job waiting for me (after I discuss it a bit more with my wife and we actually go to the place this weekend). For a third party take on the job, I decide to turn here. Go fig.

Pros: Gets us into a nice community, away from Toronto - both of us always wanted to do this.
    Pay is fairly low (still in poverty level) - but I can get a raise after 3 mos and benefits (80%) after the same period.
    Rent is dirt cheap, houses and land cheap too.
    The editor (it's a reporter job) is super nice - so much so, it's freakin' me out. She's offering 5 days in a hotel until we find a place to live - shouldn't be hard.

Cons: It's a northern community (northern Manitoba) - it'll be cold.
    It's a small city 13k (but we've been in smaller < 2k)
    Money will be tight for a while until either the wife finds a job or I find a second one.
    The work is a little more hectic than the last job - 3 stories per issue, 3 issues a week. No requirements for photos though...
    I won't be able to post as much in the OTF (horrors!)

My main concern is how nice the editor is being about this. Is this a sign that she is desperate and is just putting on her good hat until I get there, then slaps on her ***** helmet?

2. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Don't do it if it means less posting...

3. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

sounds ok to me...actually better than ok...don't tell me what town it is in or i will go snag that job while you are in here weighing the pros and cons. :laugh:

4. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Reporter in a town of 13,000? I hope your tolerance for utter boredom is high. OMG! Breaking news! Stop the presses! Mabel's cow got loose and it's running down the street! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

Who me? Live in small towns? Thankfully not any longer

5. kobold

kobold Banned

I like small towns. I work in a city, but live in a fairly rural area.

If the money works for you, then it becomes a question of what is better for you and your wife. Would you be leaving anything behind of significance? For instance, I wouldn't want to be that far away from my parents/brothers/friends.

Oh yeah, you punk, that will make it harder for you to stop by for a visit, being that much farther. *runs to room, sobbing*

6. skihard

skihard Banned

I could make about $5 an hour more if I wanted to either drive 2 hours one way or move south 30 miles and drive 1 hour one way. After a little math I found out that $5 less an hour living where I am actually puts about $.75 per hour more in my pocket after bills are paid. So I stay where I am and work where I work, the city isn't all it's cracked up to be.

7. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Small towns can be fun. I was born in one and while I desperetaly wanted to get away (and succeeded) I often wish I lived there again (mostly at night when the flat is noisy again and I want to sleep).

But it sounds like a nice job, maybe you should go for it.

8. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

I create food flyers and posters/advertising for stores my company has up in the Canadian Northern communities. I know how tough it can be for companies to find someone willing to work up north, and thus show their enthusiasm when they do find someone. How far up north will you be working? I will warn you some towns can be rather depressing. The scenery is beautiful but the average education level up north is grade 3 in most communities. A town of 13k must be lots higher and will definitely have the making of a legitimate little town. Some Northern communities, likely just the smaller ones, have 1 day a year called 'dog shoot day'. Theres no access to veterinarians so they have a vast overpopulation of dogs. SO once a year they go out and shoot all the strays. =( Personally I couldnt live in a northern community, small town yes, but the northern communities are very different as far as culture is concerned. Its almost primitive.