Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

good build?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by MFdoom, Mar 30, 2004.

1. MFdoom

MFdoom IncGamers Member

good build?

i dont really post hear- but thought i might run it over with some of the experts before i build my polearm ww barb. anyway hear goes on the gear-

amulet- mars kindelskope ring 1- raven frost
    ring 2- dual leech rare i have- 6% ll 5% ml
    belt- string of ears
    boots- gore rider
    gloves- laying of hands
    armour- shaftstop(um) upgraded
    helm- arreats (um) upgraded
    weapon- bonehew (sheal, sheal)
    skills- 20ww, 20mastery, 20 BO, 20 shout,5 natural resists

with the maras, ill need 20 less strength, 20 less dex, and gain 20 vit +30 res
    same with areats almost- +i should get big resists
    stats will be the least i can get away with in strength and dex, maxing vit as much as possible.

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Maras only has 5 to attributes, not 20. Also for your gloves you might want to try IK gloves to save 20 str/dex, or use steelrend for the added dmg/str. LoH are good for keeping in your inv when fighting bosses, but not worth it to use all the time because for one the ias doesn't help ww, so all you have is ed to demons and fire res. If you want to get away with stats in str/dex, if you can afford it, use enigma. the +70 ish to str helps you keep str at pretty low, around 80 for one of the elite light ones. belt you might want to try using verundogs for the vit/dr/fhr, and then use a large fhr charm or 2 smalls for fhr bp. Skills look good, keep nat res at base and pump shout instead, and put pts in nat res if you think you really need the res. the rest looks good, hope I could help.

3. MFdoom

MFdoom IncGamers Member

thanks, ill go looking through to check out your ideas ;) and yeah i think i might use the ik gloves.

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

some points:

1. not enough mana leech. i find that anything less than 10% doesn't keep up ww in hell, and even then you need to be doing 4k+.

2. no absorbs: gloams will be a problem. not a problem if you stay away from them, eg outside of a4-5.

3. too much str is not a problem for a barb, as it adds to damage.

4. bonehew has range 3. not a bad range, but if you are sacrificing the shield and flexibility of 1h's, then you should get the most bang for your buck here. minimum range 5 in 2h's, unless you want the power of thunder mauls.

5. if this is your first barb, don't worry about making it perfect. play around, try different skills.

6. upgrading armor is not good idea, as it is possible to get a lower defense with higher str requirements.

7. 1pt zerk helps a lot. i've heard stories of bonehews vs phys immunes, but i don't believe it will be nearly as effective.

8. your build seems all over the place. are you going for pvp? if pvm, what do you want to do with it? baalruns? pit runs?

5. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

Super, normally I agree with you, but where did you get that bit about an upgraded armor being lower def? I've upgraded 2 shafts and have always gotten 1200+ def. I've upgraded a total of 5 armors on patch and have never gotten less than a 400 defensive boost. The strength is dead on.
    You are pretty accurate about the ip angle. Bonehew will kill IP's, although very slowly, and unfortunately, most ip's come in packs, making a slow kill dangerous, especially if you get a pack that is controlled by a fanatacism enchanted or mana burn boss. Doom, super is right. What is the purpose, it seems that you are setting up somewhat for pvm, somewhat for pvp. Also mara's is only 5 to all attributes.
    Is this Mara's a hypothetical, or do you have it already and just forgot what the actual stats are on it? If this is going to be pvp, lose the double leech ring and get a nice absorb ring, or perhaps the angelic ammy/rings.
    Leech doesn't work very well pvp on new patch. Also if you're going to make a pvp polebarb, the range isn't high enough (you had better have a range 5 or else you have no chance). Also the damage on the bonehew just isn't high enough for pvp. Without a shield you had better have enough damage to kill in one shot, and frankly, the bonehew is not that weapon. If it is pvm, then don't worry about how much less strength your barb is going to need, because any good pvm barb is going to have enough strength to equip any single piece of equipment in the game. Also the range isn't as critically relevant.
    I'm guessing this is a pvm, that you want to be able to duel with, is that what this is? I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't felt it necessary to upgrade any helms because the gain for the cost is minimal. Why waste a ko/lem for a helm to gain 100 or so defence when I'm sure there is another character of yours that has an armor that would gain 500+ defence with the upgrade.
    It's your call Doom, but I think you should either go all pvp or all pvm. Any compromise in this patch tends to make a character no good for either.

6. Greedy_son

Greedy_son Banned

even tho ur not using a shield its always good to put pionts into dex it will help with ur attack rating aswell i think def and u kinda need alot of def in hell to really survive :drink:

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

boochie:

He was more than likely referring to the fact that when you upgrade an arreat's face, there is a small chance that it will end up with less defense, since the top end on a slayer guard is higher than the bottom end on a guardian crown. Or, he might have been referring to ethereal armors, which, when upgraded to elite, stay ethereal, but do not apply the defense bonus.

-Hal

8. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

ah, ok that makes sense Hal. I mentioned the Face in my post, but I've personally upgraded 2 shafties and have gotten over 1200 on both. I agree with your assessment of the slayer guard vs. guardian crown now that you have pointed that out. I guess my point was that this was the first post that super had ever made that I didn't agree with, at least in the blanket statement #6 where he states that "upgrading armor is not good idea, as it is possible to get a lower defense with higher str requirements". I've upgraded a caw, vipermagi, 2 shafty, GA, silks, and a rattlecage, and have been really, really happy with all of them. The only problem I've had is that the strength required is higher (not a problem though since I play only melee) and the formula somehow tweeks the clevel. I haven't seen that one explained anywhere yet. I have noticed that the c level on my upgraded spire of honor went from a 66 (magic, or rare war pike) to 73 (upgraded elite). I hadn't anticipated that and was left scrambling for a weapon for 7 levels. That is across the board on all my upgrades, can someone explain that one to me, because although I am well read in the game, somehow I keep missing this one.