Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good build for starting

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by vodius, Jun 23, 2005.

1. vodius

vodius IncGamers Member

Good build for starting

I am returning to Diablo 2. And I was wondering what is the best char for hardcore players to start with. Preferably a good soloer that can MF. I was looking at blizzard sorces, and then FW+Blizz sorces. I think they might both be good, but which would be better to start off with.

Thanks In Advanced
    Vodius.

2. CoRRuPt-OnE

CoRRuPt-OnE IncGamers Member

The safest way to mf and solo is using a summoner. Faster way is to use a blizz sorc ofcourse but if u want safety then a summoner is the way to go.

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

If you must start with a sork:
    20 TK
    7-11 ES after +skills
    24 teleport after +skills
    20 orb
    20 cm
    1 warmth
    1 static

Almost as fast as a blizz sork on meph (provided you know how to aim an orb) but much safer than blizz, and thusly requires less gear to play. I find orb > blizz for general PvM play as getting multiple monsters to stand in a blizzard is trickier than just getting meph to stand in it. Blizzard is better than orb for baals, but the orb build is better than blizzard for porting to the throne.

You could also go with warmth rather than teleport, or a split between the two, but I prefer teleport as if the sork isn't trying to port around chances are she's in a relatively safe place, but if she is porting around there's a good chance she's in a fairly dangerous spot and having 1 mana port means she isn't likely to be getting stuck in a dangerous spot after getting mana burnt.

4. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

no need for high teleport.. gogo meditation aura rune word. INSIGHT

5. MoUsE_WiZ

The thing with insight is:
    -no decrep
    -reliance on merc staying alive
    -mana regen is dependant on the size of your pool, so if you've got a sork with 500-600 mana insight is going to help you a lot less than if you had 1000-1200.

6. CoRRuPt-OnE

also : He/she wants a build to start with so it wont be available to him/her.

7. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Uhm, 'Insight' is Ral+Tir+Tal+Sol. Dunno 'bout you, but I usually have those well before leaving normal diff.

Vodius, this gets asked every week, sometimes more than once. I would suggest doing a search for threads with similar topics.

8. CoRRuPt-OnE

lol my fault i thought that said infinity :rolleyes:

9. Nikech

Nikech IncGamers Member

I'll probably start a sorc as my first char next ladder season (if there is going to be one). At first I thought about starting a pure blizz or a blizz/fw sorc, but this build seem quite interesting. One question about the stats though, should you go for as much energy as possible or max vita(with dex for max block)?

Is the orb most efficient when it explodes right at the monster?

10. Valar-Wrath

Valar-Wrath IncGamers Member

This is an amazingly safe and effective build.

Max vita with dex for max block. Max Energy is only if you are going to max out energy shield. With this build you're not, so base energy is fine.

And yes, the "sweet spot" as some call it, where the orb explodes right on top of the monster deals the most damage. This works very well against meph and andy if you are thinking about running them most of the time.

IMO, this build is the best overall build for a sorceress. It combines safety(Energy shield plus TK) with decent damage(orb plus cold mastery can still easily take out meph using the 'sweet spot')

11. Nikech

Nikech IncGamers Member

Thanks! One more question, which merc do you guys think is the best option? Def? Holy Freeze? Might for cold immunes? Probably not might if you're only planning to run meph/andy.

12. Valar-Wrath

Holy freeze. Defiance is not needed because your defense will be relatively low anyway. Might, I wouldn't use for only running meph/andy.

Holy freeze will slow down pretty much everything on your screen making it a lot harder for you to get hit.

13. MoUsE_WiZ

Might = CIs die faster
    HF = CIs cause you less problems while they're alive

However, for pure meph (or andy), I'd probably go with an A5 merc with Lawbringer...decrep on hit goes a long ways to making sure the boss stands still for you. That is of course assuming you can't get yourself a reapers...I'm not sure if the runes for lawbringer are worth more than a reapers at this point or not.

14. Valar-Wrath

Or you could always go with a good ole Kelpies.

15. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Hands down, orb/es sorc.

They can tank with full block/ES up for a fair bit of time
    They have the most versitile attack (slow level till 30 though)
    They require very little gear

Nothing has gotten me from scratch quicker than an orb sorc, blizz is nice, but you need to dump alot of points into it, and if you can sweetspot orbs you're in business.

If I had to build one with low amounts of gear :

Tarn helm : people give these things away
    Ghost shroud : again, free
    Spectral shard : Free....
    Whistans guard : Few p.gems
    NightSmoke : Free
    Sanders boots : Easy to find
    some nice res gloves...

res jewelry

Bam. You're set up with a cheap gear working that will ensure you kill at a pretty steady pace. It'll work into your mid 40's in normal, nightmare ofcourse you'd need to beef up...but thats what baal runs are for.

16. Valar-Wrath

Right now my level 70 orb/tk sorc is running first drop hell meph and has the following ghetto gear:

Pcrown-like 2 pgems
    23 resist Vipermagi-probably most expensive that I have, still can be bought with pgems
    Io'd Wiz-best damn sorc weapon for it's price
    Pdiamon'd Whitstans-few pgems
    Tal belt-just found this from mfing, used to have a rare resist belt found in a2 norm
    Nokozan Relic(sp?)-Found in a3 norm I think
    2 rare rings I think from the cain quests
    Frostys-found off meph
    Rare boots with resists-found in like a1 nm

I don't even use a merc, they usually just die when I mf anyway.

With this setup I have max block, max resists and around 900 life in hell. So far, no real close calls first dropping meph.

My skills at level 70 with gear are:

Tele-17
    FO-26
    CM-17
    TK-26
    ES-7

Stats with gear:

Str-86
    Dex-157
    Vita-233
    Energy-64

Best sork build EVAR!

17. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

props for having the balls to pull that off at lvl70!

usually my untwinked sorks dont start hell until 75! (solo baaling in nm still gives good exp at that point). decent drops too.

never been a big fan of first dropping, unless it was in solo runs (2 comps, etc). the time it takes to find games, not getting pked, harder kill just steers me away from this strategy.

oh, and when i start sorks from scratch, i do ~200 runs at a time (no jokes). thats why i dont first drop

----btw----

i still think necs are the best starters. followed closely by trappers :)

18. Valar-Wrath

It sometimes is difficult to find games but not that bad. I usually join games that say "CTA 4 trade" or something like that then squelch the person in-game because they usually get mad at me for 'using' their game. Then just go about my business and take a half an hour to find meph. ;)

I havn't had to worry about getting pk'd at all. I didn't think this would be a problem anyway. It's usually one person in the game and they don't necessarily know where I am. By the time they find out, I'm outta there.

I am also very biased towards first dropping meph because I found my first and only SOJ doing it a while ago with my other sork.

19. Rekoc

Rekoc IncGamers Member

This is what i did as well untill my lub (xey) told me that cows > hell baals. With my new hammerdin the baals were easy and quick. Around 6 min with 8people. But baal was hell hard to take down :(. and doing all that and around 100 runs best thing i found from first droping him was gris weap. So I decided I would go solo baals for his drops and pub cows for socketables and stuff. BTW...first eld run i did with hammerdin...unique ring...ya thats right...my 2nd soj :) Still amazing to find.

20. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

another reason (actually two) why first dropping is bad (in pubs):

unless u actually spawn the target in 1 person, it takes a hella long time to kill. meanwhile, u can create ur own games (2 comps, etc), and 2 people in game almost guarantess a 6 item drop from any act boss.

me and salad was gonna do it on baal (he creates, i bug), bug my fire sork is taking forever to finish ><