Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good/best easily avialable merc weapons?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pär, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Good/best easily avialable merc weapons?

EDIT: This was meant for early game - ideas to get untwinked/new players to NM Meph so they can get some gear.

Rules:
    1. Uniques must be fairly easily available from Normal Meph.
    2. Upgrading to Exceptional is allowed.
    3. Socketing allowed but not encouraged.
    4. Runes from up to Nightmare Countess (reasonable number of runs) allowed.

My suggestions (act2 mercs):
    "Strength" in Pike.
    Upped Razortine, Bloodthief or Battlebranch.
    Gambled rare Pike with some dmg and life leech.
    "Insight" for people with mana problems.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Good/best easily avialable merc weapons?

Is this only for act 2 mercs? What character build is this for?

Your list need Obedience too.

It seems like you're not asking for yourself, but rather trying to make a thread to help others. There are plenty of threads on this topic, so maybe your goal would be better served by finding them all and making one thread that has them organized and linked?

3. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

I think hoping to get a good stick from Normal Meph wouldn't be very wise. Rather NM meph can give Kelpie's/HoneSundane/ Unique Lance(forgot the name) all three of which have decent req clevels.
    On to the topic,
    Obedience runeword, base weapon is not easy to find though.
    Savage polearms recipe can spawn exceptional weapons too.
    upped Unique Halberd....(I am half asleep so not able to recollect names properly)
    Malice runeword

4. SnickerSnack

I disagree. Any character will find a polearm with the right ilvl to have 5 sockets as its maximum. A character will probably find dozens of them through the course of the game, so even cube socketing is viable.

Are ideal bases rare? Sure, but that's true of many of the runewords. Have you ever found an ethereal 4 socket BA? I don't think I have.

5. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

@SnickerSnack : Ohh sry prolly my statement was incomplete. What I meant was getting a polearm by early NM(OP was mentioning normal meph and NM countess, so I was assuming the post is about early game merc equipment). If the whole game is considered, then 5 os polearm will certainly come by. Also then there is no point running normal meph imo.

6. Serdash

Serdash Diabloii.Net Member

Woestave is nice and can drop early on. I found that my merc using a Woestave against NM Meph slowed him down just enough to prevent complete massacre.

Otherwise digging for weapons in -normal- isn't going to get you too far. Some mentioned Obedience, but if you can't farm outside of normal you're unlikely to get a Fal rune, or a Ko or Hel for that matter.

Kris + Belt + Staff + Diamond = Savage Polearm, these polearms can be normal and exceptional, and can spawn with suffixes as well.

Otherwise, as you mentioned, gambling pikes can result in some interesting things. Partizans are good gambles as well with nice damage and leech mods possible. Upgrading them is somewhat cheap, too.

7. SnickerSnack

I don't know how likely it is to get Fal/Ko/Hel in short order, but it's certainly attainable. Maybe it doesn't qualify as "easily attainable".

I think NM countess would be sufficient for the runes. Though, exceptional bases will be hard to come by by early NM, you can make it in a normal item, like a poleaxe.

Anyway, since no one has mentioned it yet, Honor is easy to come by. It can be made in a polearm or a spear (making the base easier to get), and the runes can be had easily. :)

8. Islandstone

Islandstone Diabloii.Net Member

Not that easy to come by actually, normal only drops 3 sockets max and nightmare 4. So you'd have to use your socket quest or cube to get the sockets. Honor is a good twink item, but not so good in untwinked.

9. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

Kris + Belt + Staff + Diamond = Savage Polearm, these polearms can be normal and exceptional, and can spawn with suffixes as well.

This recipe is really easy to do even early in act II. You can cube up or use shrines to get the diamond. The kris, belt and staff can be shopped for. You can get really nice merc weapons with it.

10. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

@Shagsbeard:
    Any diamond quality works, any belt as well. This is the reason i don't cube my chipped/flawed diamonds until i get a decent savage polearm (untwinked). I usually settle for Bill and/or Partizan.
    Plain Sash = 54 gold - Charsi
    Plain Short Staff = 151 gold - Akara
    Plain Kris = 1104 gold - Fara

11. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

I'll nth this recipe. Usually gets me through normal. Insight is the upgrade that will usually take me into Hell depending on my character mana needs and my luck with polearm bases for runewords.

Also note it doesnt need to be a "diamond" Any quality diamond will do, so save your chippies in A1.

12. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly. In all my years of playing, I have never made it. Socketing a weapon takes valuable resources from my character, and by the time you get to Hell difficulty, there are better options.

13. Greebo

Greebo Diabloii.Net Member

Well, if you mean to stay untwinked and single pass there are some good ideas above. But if you are "forced" to be untwinked by the fact you don't have good items yet, and don't mind finding a few very cheap runes, then Insight beats everything.

It isn't "just for mana problems". It has very very high %ED (for a weapon that you can equip at level 27 (!) ), and +6 Critical Strike means more often than not, the damage is doubled. The Meditation aura is not the only reason why it's such a good weapon. It's got other very good mods also.

Sure, Aura from it is nice for casters, but there's no better weapon for the moron available at level 27, afaik.

--Greebo

14. channimal

channimal Diabloii.Net Member

I'm guessing this isn't available in 1.07?
    I'm currently lvl26, extremely untwinked in 1.07 and about as fragile as a wet kleenex.. would love to try and get some sort of decent weapon for merc.

15. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

You only need ilvl 41+ white item that has max 5 os and give it Larzuk or with max 6 os and try the cube recipe. These drop in Act V normal. But like Jianzons wrote: this could be wrong way to use your resources.

In single pass untwinked play I've always made Malice in a bardiche as fast as possible and that has worked well all through the normal.

16. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

My resources say nothing about these forumla's only being available with any given patch. You'll just have to try it.

The Savage prefix gives 66-**%ED, it also has a chance of getting a suffix. It will be a normal or exceptional polearm. Some of them will be amazing.

17. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

It´s 61-80% ED, iirc.

You can get any normal or exceptional polearm except Bec-de-Corbin and Grim Scythe.

The item level is pretty high (50) so you can get some nice suffixes. My personal favourite for the early cubing (Act II Normal) is a Savage Halberd of Speed. Savage Partizan of <something nice> does the most damage and is the best outcome later on (wihtout a STR boost, the merc can use this about 1/3 into Act V). One of these on my merc can take me to Act II Nightmare almost without using any character skills.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  18. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

Funny you should mention that halberd jiansonz, i rolled this with my last untwinker:
    Code:
    Savage Halberd of Swiftness
    Two-Hand Damage: 19 to 74
    Durability: 49 of 55
    Required Dexterity: 47
    Required Strength: 75
    Required Level: 26
    Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 50
    Fingerprint: 0x47e24963
    +66% Enhanced Damage
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    It did up the req level a bit, but nothing to worry about. Especially not if you do p8 full clear. The one i hope to roll every time is s partizan of ease/simplicity. Would reduce the need to fill my merc's armor/hat with amethysts. And yeah, these weapons are gold for a long time.