Good 2-hander builds?

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
Good 2-hander builds?

Recently I came back the game. In the past I never played Barbs or Druids much but I really want to play a character that uses 2-handed weapons. I'd really like some suggestions. Barb, Druid, Pally? Any specific builds? Pros/Cons? I looked through the druid and barb forums, but there are so many builds to sort through i'd appreciate the help.

Thanks

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Good 2-hander builds?

A Berserk build (Barbarian) was made for big two-handed weapons. You use War Cry (high-level, for long stunning time), Howl and Taunt for crowd control. This crowd control, coupled with the huge damage, makes up for the fact that you have a single-target attack, no defense and can´t steal life.

Tiger Strike Assassin can be played with a big two-hander (use Attack to release charges, making every 4th hit on the monsters extremely damaging). Upgraded Ribracker (unique Quarterstaff) is one of the best weapons for this. This build also has good crowd control with Cloak of Shadows and Mind Blast.

zarqu

Diabloii.Net Member

I am currently planning a two-hander build myself.

Titan WW'er, that is. He will be wielding a BotD of some kind, minimal points in vita. Just to get that ridiculous LCS :p

hubb

Diabloii.Net Member

Berserk as described above, or a titan conc. Just make sure you have a weapon that's nice 'n' fast like Oath or BOTD, else you can weild Death or something with a Faith merc. A werewolf with an upped shaeled ribby gets my vote for funnest melee char behind the berserker.

potter

Diabloii.Net Member

Barb - WW/Berserker
Druid - Furywolf
Pally - Charger

JihadJesus

Diabloii.Net Member

Basically anything that's uninterruptable and hits fast will work well, since life leech will keep you alive. The two classics are WW and Fury druids, since both are massive life characters with that uninterruptable attack.

If it's not a character with a main attack like that, it better have good crowd control, lots of life, and leechable damage. I'd think a 'zerker would be a PITA w/out the leech two handed.

roshen

Diabloii.Net Member

Maul using druid with Oath. Shockwave as a support skill makes almost anything in this game a joke. Great physical damage, if you're into micro you *can* completely neglect on-weapon life leech (quick-switch to hunger). It's a very durable, safe build.

Oath is also available very early on (lvl 42 if you make it in a Feral Axe iirc) and you'll be attacking so fast that the bone spirit proc will just make you laugh out loud. Especially if you've trapped some poor stupid creature between a wall and your axe. You have to see it.

Taking on anything from /p3-5 is pretty simple, and let's face it, Oath is dead cheap these days.

Make sure you make it in an eth Feral axe, and you're good to go.

Just my 2p.

Pär

Diabloii.Net Member

I always thought a 2H Zealot would be fun - but mad weaknesses I suppose.

naranjadita

Diabloii.Net Member

Sacrifice paladin. Try this one with a BIG two-hander - it's like running on a incredibly thin blade between madness of roaring destructive power and a chance (that is not so thin, hehe) to OHKO yourself while trying to kill a skeleton if you become inattentive for a mere second.

Vengeance paladin. Use a massive two-handed weapon to throw your Vengeance damage over 8-9k. You can make an Avenging Abbot (a paladin, who maximizes his regenerative abilities by maxing Prayer and using an "Insight" weapon and uses vengeance to dispatch of monsters) or an Ogredin (full-power Vengeance + maxed Conviction).

Vengeance sorceress. Make a "kingslayer" runeword in a silver-edge axe, gain a healthy amount of "+ to all skills" and teleport around cleaving monsters apart with 6-7k Vengeance.

Fury Werewolves - those are created to PWN with two-handers. They had been wandering around stomping enemies to dust far before the first "Grief" was ever made. Woot woot awoo!

Berserker Barbarian. This is another build that can truly shine with a two-handed weapon. In 1.10+ with the introduction of synergies system it became possible to squeeze a cup of tasty and nourishing "+900% ED" cocktail out of Berserk skill. Mix it, shake it, and go kill some monsters.

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator

Sacrifice paladin. Try this one with a BIG two-hander - it's like running on a incredibly thin blade between madness of roaring destructive power and a chance (that is not so thin, hehe) to OHKO yourself while trying to kill a skeleton if you become inattentive for a mere second.

Vengeance paladin. Use a massive two-handed weapon to throw your Vengeance damage over 8-9k. You can make an Avenging Abbot (a paladin, who maximizes his regenerative abilities by maxing Prayer and using an "Insight" weapon and uses vengeance to dispatch of monsters) or an Ogredin (full-power Vengeance + maxed Conviction).

Vengeance sorceress. Make a "kingslayer" runeword in a silver-edge axe, gain a healthy amount of "+ to all skills" and teleport around cleaving monsters apart with 6-7k Vengeance.

Fury Werewolves - those are created to PWN with two-handers. They had been wandering around stomping enemies to dust far before the first "Grief" was ever made. Woot woot awoo!

Berserker Barbarian. This is another build that can truly shine with a two-handed weapon. In 1.10+ with the introduction of synergies system it became possible to squeeze a cup of tasty and nourishing "+900% ED" cocktail out of Berserk skill. Mix it, shake it, and go kill some monsters.
a rather entertaining post :)

I think a 2h avenger with an infinity merc and max all vengence synergies would be just awesome, I'm sure you could get well over 14k, and thats before the horrible resists your enemies would have, since thats 95% elemental damage

HappeningKT

Banned

An infinity holding 2 handed tesladin should be fun.
Leap attack barb.
Insight wielding charge abbott.

baqarah

Diabloii.Net Member

Ive made some 2h using chars, so I can share my experience.

Amazon - spearazon is really, really underpowered. Fend is bugged and you cant have d/a/e/ skills (so valk is out too). With no minion and low life (compared to barb or druid) you have to be really careful. You can mix Fend with some lightning skills, but pure javazon is so much better that its not worth making a Fendazon

Assasin - dont think there are many builds that can use 2handers. Tigersin can be cool, gotta make her when I find 1.07 GPA and make a botd in it. With high lvl shadow, Death sentry and some 1 point skills she can be really powerful

Pala - I HATE 2h palas. You sacriface some much of the safety (defence and high block from HS) for damage. Again - you have not that much life, no minion and no block. Palas do have huge damage (fana+zeal), so you can rely on ll to keep you alive. You will die to archers and gloams though. I've made 2H zealer and respec'd him to 1h zealer - he was so much better that way. I always wanted to make Vengeance pala, but I will never make him 2h - low ll = nono.

Sorcs - Vengeance sorc looks really sexy, I also thought about making IK sorc with maxed masteries and full of ele dam charms. Dont think its very powerful build, but can be fun.

Druid - Bear or Werewolf - all good. Furydruid is very good, high damage, big life bulb. You can even mix it with rabies, but I dont think its necessary in pvm. Bear is a little different. Ive made 2H Mauler and he was very good. I liked my 1h/shield Fireclaw, too, so Mauler/Fireclaw is very viable, hes on my to-do list.
Oh, I tried Shockwave and I hated it.

Barb - WW all the way. High damage, lots of life, high defence with a proper items (even without a shield). My latest WWer was a Concentration barb before I respec'd him, and I loved him. Conc is a great skill to twink your barb, because BO synergise Conc, which means you have high damage and life at the same time. Conc makes your defence even higher which is always good. I will try a conc barb in the future. I dont like Berserk a lot. I rely a lot on ll when I go melee, but I quess you can WCry your enemies. I will try this skill out, but I am very sceptical about it.

Necro - Oath have ctc Bonespirit, you know... I always wanted to make Oath wielding necro with points in BS synergies, some curses and Golem. Can be fun ;).

bladejj

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I guess it depends on how heavily you twink (if at all), but I would definitely recommend a berserking barbarian. As Jiasonz mentioned, they are basically unstoppable. I got a untwinked berserker up to level 82 in the No Vitality Tournament before I accidentally killed him by my own stupidity :whistling:

maxicek

Moderator Single Player

What two handed weapons do you have / can you get? Then maybe we can suggest some builds more effectively.

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member

Tankazon with an "Oath" Champion axe.

Suit up in the proper gear and you likely will not die.

At least not easily.

And it'll be crazy fun.

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the input everybody. Currently i'm playing mostly on US East Ladder, I have 2 friends that are currently playing on their and they like bnet. With the ladder reset I don't have much gear right now, I have insight in a partizan and a fal, pul, and um rune. So I could possible make an Oath with some luck.

The build I would like to try the most is a Fury wolf especially if I can find a Rib Cracker. If not I'll probably try a Conc or WW Barb. I don't see myself playing a pally without a shield, they gain so much from shields it would be throwing away your best gear slot.

@Hub when you say a Titan Conc barb do you mean something like Hal's Conc barb? Just using a two-hander?

Also if I do find a rib cracker for a Fury Wolf what is the best skill for finishing PIs off? Rabies?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

hubb

Diabloii.Net Member

Going WW when you want to try a 2-hander is a little silly since it plays like a dual wielder (except it's worse :p). Titan means you put points into strength for the ED bonus instead of pumping vit. Probably not something you'll want to try without good gear, but you can always go halfway there and pump str to 230 or so.

Rabies is pretty horrible in pvm. If you put 15 each in werewolf/lycan you can get a 1k fire claws attack by level 80 (20 FC, 10 in a synergy), which is decent.

baqarah

Diabloii.Net Member

Also if I do find a rib cracker for a Fury Wolf what is the best skill for finishing PIs off? Rabies?
Why dont you build ribby fireclaw/mauler. It has both ele and physical attack. I think he has decent speed too.

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member

Why dont you build ribby fireclaw/mauler. It has both ele and physical attack. I think he has decent speed too.
Don't do it! Max werebear instead of maul. This way you'd get(assuming Jalals and Highlords as the only +skills):
+243%[email protected]+410%AR+some defense, instead of:
+105%-395%[email protected]+260%AR that requires you to hit 15 times without losing the charged up ball to get full power.

Attack rating alone ensures that the first build does more damage than the second, and there is also the charging up thing.

Shaeled, upped Ribcracker allows you to get 7 frames attack. Not the fastest, but decent.

baqarah

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't do it! Max werebear instead of maul.
Id max Maul, Lycan, FireClaw AND WBear. Rest in FClaw synergy. Gives you sth like 20 FClaw and 10 points in synergy @ lvl 80. Fire only as a back up, no summoning skills needed.