Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Golemmancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Tsubame, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Tsubame

Tsubame IncGamers Member

Golemmancer

I understand this is a very difficult build, but would anyone have some recommendations for a PvM Golemmancer build? Would probably be nigh on suicidial to try to make it a PvP build.

I play a Skellmancer right now (among my numerous sins and druids) and I love the minions, but I always found the four golems...interesting, though I never wasted many (read: any) points in them for my Skellmancer.

I'd like to make a golemmancer, but I'm wondering if anyone here who has tried it can offer some suggestions (besides don't do it :p )

2. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

The general consensus seems to be that the Golemancer was one of the few builds that was slain by 1.10

It is not that golems became weakened. It is the fact that the other minions got the damage and life boost needed to be competitive on the higher levels while the golems only got the life boost.

Clay Golem has never been able to do enough damage to anything outside act1 normal.

Blood Golem had it's heydays, but it was still mainly due to it's tankage abilities coupled with Iron Maiden.

Iron Golem seems to be the safest bet. Back in 1.09 it's Thorns damage could do some serious crowd damage. Nowadays Thorns, whether it comes from a Paladin, a golem or a Spirit of Barbs is equally pathetic. Mainly because high-difficulty monsters has such insane amounts of life and life regen compared to the damage they do. You can still try to up an Iron Golem's own damage by creating it out of powerful elite weapons (such as the Hellslayer), but you will be missing out the potential indestructibility a diamonded paladin shield can potentially offer.

Fire Golem's main point of existence used to be being the "damaging" golem opposed to the more "tanking" oriented lesser golem. Today, however, the damage is not enough to justify it's existence. Not even it's cool death explosion. The main point about Fire Golems today seems to be as a clever kind of crowd control capitalising on the "annoying" qualities of it's Holy Fire aura.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

A pure Golemancer can not survive. You will need to make a hybrid. You will be using a Golem as tank and killing enemies with a direct damage spell. The best tank is Clay.

4. Invictus_prime

Invictus_prime IncGamers Member

digging up old bones....

They really can't do a whole lot of damage.

Here's an idea, however:

Max Clay Golem
    Max Golem Mastery
    Equip Metal Grid Amulet
    Equip Bloodmoon sword
    Buy Holy Freeze Merc

You get a Clay Golem with 63+% slow, 790 defense, and an extra +75%life. Coupled with Holy Freeze you get a golem that freezes enemies in their tracks and can withstand a few more hits than usual.

Slow can be a mighty ally!!!

5. Mad Mantis

And how do you suppose that you kill?

6. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Eventually

Eventually the monster will get bored and go home :innocent:

7. Invictus_prime

The Golem is just used to paralyze the intended victim.

I suppose you could create an Iron Golem out of a Kelpie Snare, thus gaining higher %slow, higher defense, less life, and can use a wand instead of Bloodmoon. Socket with a BER or Um rune and you will have an excellent weapon of destruction. Unfortunately, you lose the area of effect %slow that comes with the Clay Golem (radius 1 yard? I think), and the Iron Golem will actually need to HIT it's target to get the %slow. So you may need to invest some points into Clay Golem to get the higher AR.

Ok, so it really stinks. If someone has the perserverence, stupidity, godly items, and nothing better to do...it can be done.

8. Invictus_prime

OK!!!

Use Iron Golem with items with %slow and extra damage and either UM or BER socketed in them. Also use Holy Freeze merc or Doom runeword.

Here are some items that will slow the monsters enough so that the weak little golem can EVENTUALLY kill them.

Eternity Weapon - 33% slow, some Crushing Blow, choose your weapon.
    Astreans Iron Ward - 25% slow, Magic damage, Crushing Blow.
    Fleshripper (gasp!) - 20% slow, Open Wounds, Crushing Blow, -%Defense, PMH
    Blackbog's Sharp (What?) - 50% slow, Poison Damage
    Woestave - 50% slow, Open Wounds
    Pompeiis Wrath - 50% slow, Fire Damage
    The Minotaur - 50% slow, Crushing Blow
    Kelpie Snare - 75% slow

Ha!!! It can be done!!!

20 GM
    20 CG
    20 BG
    20 IG
    All the rest invested in a singular prayer: "please don't die, the item cost me too much!"

9. Mad Mantis

And how does he deal with small swarming hard hitting creatures like Flayers?

10. Invictus_prime

Decrep? That way they don't hit too fast, and the IG hits more often.

Smack!!! Back in your court!

11. Mad Mantis

OK, how about OK's?

12. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Personally the thorns on the IG top out in the 400% range with just hard skills and in the 700% range with skillers. I'd much rather prefer a thorn merc with the intention of getting a bramble later. The thorn merc tops out at 810% and the Bramble goes into the 1000% range. Once you factor in Amp damage and the freeing up of extra skill points you're really looking at something significant.

The nice thing about the Bramble is the Spirit of Barbs. There you can add an extra 290% damage returned as well as the Thorn damage since they are separate Aura's. Again you add in Amp and you got really good damage considering that the average monster in hell does 100-150 damage.

Now for killing speed I'd stack crushing blow on my merc and I'd get a stormlash on switch for myself just for the static.

Skill point wise I'd do the following:
    20 Clay golem
    20 Golem Mastery
    1 Sumon Resist
    1 in each curse (10)
    20 Bone Armor
    20 Bone Wall
    1 Teeth (pre-req)
    19 Corpse Explosion

That's the 111 by lvl 99 + Quests. Really just doing the curses and the golem you're done by lvl 48 + norm quests. You got to remember to get rushed to NM though for the thorns merc until you can build a Bramble. Then I'd change the merc out for a norm Prayer Merc.

After the curses and the golem is done I'd work on CE and Bone Wall. The crushing blow on the merc + the thorn damage will quickly generate the first corpse for CE. BW is just there to keep the ranged heat off of my tanks. BA is there for the occasional time I'd wana switch to get some statics in with my stormlash.

Still... to me... it's a skellimancer with less meat shields. The higher CE is nice and may help it run a little more like an old Artymancer, but there's so much dependence on your merc. Could be fun though using Stormlash on a Trang set and having a vamp that can firewall and static.

13. der-xuan

der-xuan IncGamers Member

bramble probably wun stack with ur thorns aura ...

14. Invictus_prime

Run away!?

15. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

you're right it won't but the spirit of the barbs charges will stack with the thorns aura

16. Mad Mantis

And what about ranged attackers?

17. Painweaver

Painweaver IncGamers Member

3 Stooges builds are tough. I managed to solo up to lvl 66 in nm last season, but the Chaos Sanc. seemed impossible from there. Gearwise I can't remember everything but the objective was simple enough. With this build the necro must join the fight and not let it lay upon the Merc and Golem duo. Bone Spear might work but I wanted to use a Buriza for ranged nonskill based damage. Other suggestions for up to mid NM is Pus Spitter or a 6 socketed bow with good elemental damage.

#1 A Golem with damage choices were Blood or Fire since Iron would require too much at low and mid lvls to serve it's worth since it would be dieing alot. I play Hardcore so losiing my character cause my Golem just got pounded into dust tossed Blood Golem out. The choice was simple I'd have to go Fire Golem. Egh 1.10 the mother of anti fire patch if I ever seen one.

#2 The Merc. I thought about using an act 1 or 3 merc to add another element of damage. Then my Attack Rating was too low for late NM or Hell on both the Golem and my Necro. So I went with a Normal Blessed Aim Merc with hopes of making a Bramble Armor for him which never happened.

#3 Lower resist curse. This is what makes the build work. Lower resist was amp to my Golem and as well to Corpse Explosion (for those of you that don't know by now 50% of corpse explosion damage in fire). Also would help my Buriza damage.

#4 Skills Allocation Values are set to be used with +4 to all Necro skills easy enough to get. These were my goal skills not actual. This is what they would be at clvl 90.

Summon Skills (44)
    20 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Blood Golem
    1 Iron Golem
    20 Fire Golem
    Life: 1831 (Norm)
    Life: 3586 (NM)
    Life: 5926 (Hell)
    Attack: 900
    Defense: 375
    Absorbs 91 percent fire damage
    Damage: 10-27 (Norm)
    Damage: 15-39 (NM)
    Damage: 18-47 (Hell)
    Fire Damage: 525-577
    Holy Fire 47-49
    Mana Cost: 280

Bone and Poison Skills (34)
    1 Teeth
    13 Corpse explosion
    8 Yard radius with the +4 skills pretty much does the job it needs to.
    1 Bone Armor
    19 Bone Wall
    Get Bone Armor up to 345 absorb good for 2 hard hits at least.

Curses (23)
    1 Amp
    1 Iron Maiden
    1 Weaken
    1 Life Tap
    1 Terror
    1 Decrepify
    17 Lower resistance
    Gives you a 60 sec. duration with an 18 yrd radius and -63 all res. with +4 skills.

Total 101 skill points

18. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

I always liked this setup

20 clay golem
    20 golem mastery
    1 summon resist
    20 blood golem
    1 Iron golem
    20 fire golem
    1 each curse (10)
    (+)_____________
    92 skill points

You cast Iron golem from Metal Grid thats a slvl 22 Iron golem: his skills will read this:
    Iron Golem
    transforms a metallic item into a golem that gains
    the properties of the item

Life: 1836
    Life: 3570 (N)
    Life: 5880 (H)
    Damage: 15-41
    Damage: 24-66 (N)
    Damage: 26-72 (H)
    Attack: 980
    Defense: 910

Current Skill Level: 22
    Thorns damage
    465 percent damage returned
    Defense Bonus: +770
    Mana Cost: 35

You could cast him from any assortment of items aura containing ones would be nice. imagine an exile shield being used as the base item. or how about this rarely used unique:
    Swordguard *
    Executioner Sword
    (67-70) - (110-114) 1H Dmg
    (129-134) - (218-226) 2H Dmg
    50 Durability
    85 Str Required
    55 Dex Required
    Item Level: 52
    Clvl Req: 44 +170-180% Enhanced Damage
    +5 Defense per clvl
    +100 Defense vs. Missiles
    +200 Defense vs. Melee
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    All Resistances +10-20
    Requirements -50%
    +30% of damage taken goes to mana

19. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Of course, Lower Resist only lowers by (lets say) 50%. Amp Damage lowers physical resistance by 100%, so in many cases it's much more effective to boost corpse explosion., and probably Buriza as well.

So... amp, CE, then back to LR. Or keep amp and use Buriza; I don't know which if more effective.

20. Painweaver

Painweaver IncGamers Member

Ok so how do you kill packs of spell casters and archers with no Corpse Explosion ? Plus I don't see it effective against any kind of crowd in hell even if the Golem had 20K life it'd die before any Venom Lord ect from thorns.