Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

golem question

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by xXchampagneXx, Jun 22, 2005.

1. xXchampagneXx

xXchampagneXx IncGamers Member

golem question

with iron golems, when you make it out of say a botd Z, every game you join u will always have that golem made from the botd? even if he dies? of is it just until he dies then you need to find a new item to use?

2. Tyrranades

Tyrranades IncGamers Member

Iirc your iron golem will follow you loyally until he dies.. then you can kiss that item goodbye. If you used BoTD for it.. I pray I'm wrong :)

3. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

He only lasts until he gets killed which from expereince are scenarios like iron maiden from OB Knights or a huge pack of elemental ranged attackers :( However instead of BOTD bone and bone/summon hybrids could use a far cheaper r/w to make a valueble IG like an 'Insight' polearm and spiky gives you mediation aura :p Still an elite polearm Insight would be much worth it for merc but other r/ws like 'Black' & 'Strength' are really cheap and offer crushing blow so sometimes i make ethereal elites (like Thundermauls,Glorious Axes) out of them as and when they drop and spawn with sockets :p Another IG i'd like to try is 'Malice' (another dirt cheap r/w) as i am thinking that OW would cause monsters who wish to bully golem lose health getting hit + thorns hehe

p.s Hwanin Armor is also good cheap golem and all he has to do is get hit to trigger thorns and even better static :p

4. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Occasionally he just vanishes --- happens to all necro minions. Not quite sure about valks yet; she seems much more persistent...

You might want to be careful about him getting swarmed, or standing in Diablos breathweapon as well. Every now and then my Gumby gets red, which means in those cases your Iron Golem would probably be long dead already...

But with the right equipment (always telepport, ever walk more than a few steps to cut down the chance for random vanishing), and *careful* babysitting one could be able to protect the Iron Golem. The main problem is that if you are *not* careful you'll loose your item --- so either make sure it's cheap, or do it only if you know the duping loophole.

EDIT: and don't forget, if YOU die then the golem dies as well. So double check when teleporting...

5. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

duping loophole? :confused:

6. Myrakh-2

I'm assuming that the people doing the duping are using some bug in the server --- which could be as simple as "drop item, pickup item with another char, save other char, crash server", but it could be more complicated as well.

Several bugs have, or still seem, dependent on one of the most stupid design flaws you can make for multiplayer games: relying on the "inability" of the client to click fast enough, to click at precisely the right moment, or even to click on items that aren't even visible. We've used the later extensively in another game, where the client sent absolute coordinates which weren't even checked by the server --- so we had a "fishing" macro that would take fish from a sea, no matter where we were :)

7. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

Iron Golem has 50% lightning resist vs Gumby's 20%

He should be able to hold up in D's lightning more then Gumby.

8. Myrakh-2

If you want to bet your BOTD (or any other item beyond a random cracked short sword) on it, go ahead.

Most of the time Gumby gets red isn't actually from Diablo --- it's from bosses with damage enhancers. There have even been days where I had to go through several Gumbys vs. Lister and his friends (don't forget that minions inherit weaker versions of the boss mods).

But Gumby has to eat more damage than an IG --- I cast him right into the middle of bosspacks, to give them something better to punch than my skellies. You can't recast the Iron Golem, so he'll take a lot less beating.

But of course, it was just a word of advice: babysit your Iron Golem very carefully. If Gumby dies you just recast him. If Iron Golem dies your item is gone.

9. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

/nod I still wont use a great item to make an iron golem, just too easy for it to die.

But im not as rich as some necros.

10. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

That BotD will be a waste. If you don't lose it to your IG getting killed, you'll lose it to suddenly disappearing because you ran too far ahead of it, or because it bugged out between games and didn't reappear.

11. Cheetor

Cheetor IncGamers Member

What about Blood golem, level 20, hell, with amp and might combined, It can reach some good damage, how much would that be?
    Has anybody got a clue?
    I'm thinking about a builtd based on Bloody :

I want to use five revives, a verry good might merc with some unyque poloearm, (he should get 2k damage without amp.), with of chourse bloody, as my "skill eater" and cast amp all over the place.
    For myself Poisson dagger or Poisson nova, don't know yet.
    What do you guys think?
    Is this good?

12. Myrakh-2

I don't know how much (or little, more likely...) damage blood golem does, but remember: life sharing works both ways. Your blood golem will take life FROM you as well. And that's what it will do all the time: it will take a lot of beating, but contrary to barbs and other melee chars it doesn't have the gear to deal with it.

I see people using Iron Golems. I see people using Fire Golems. Both my necros use Gumby all the time.

But I haven't seen a Blood Golem in a long time... so I guess the skill doesn't just look like it sucks, it probably DOES suck enough so even noobs won't use it...

13. batuchka

The problem with blood golem is he shares his life pool with you and as such ranged attackers will make short work of him and hence the danger to you. A maxed fire golem would add some dmg to the blood golem but still elemental/ranged attackers would be dangerous and i guess Dim Vision could a solution. The stats on a BG from a investment of 20pts into FG and BG with 1 into GM/Summon Resist and assuming +13 into summoning skills are as follows:

Mana cost: 153
    Damage: 134 - 361 (ø247.5)
    Attack Rating: 518
    Defense: 141
    Hit Points: 2420 (hell)
    Resist magic damage: 20%
    Resist poison: 82%
    Resist lightning/cold/fire: 62%
    Convert damage to life: 144%
    Stolen life tranfered to caster: 30%
    Damage on golem transfered to caster: 10%
    Caster healing transfered to golem: 25%

14. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

So for an investment of 44 points and a mere +13 skills you'll get a Golem with an average damage of 247,5.
    If we take into account a maxed Might Merc and +4 skills on the Might Merc this will mean an average of 915,75 damage.
    Against a monster with zero physical resist this would be an average damage of 1831,5. Resulting in a total amount of 549,5 life leeched when the Golem hits. Emphasis on WHEN he hits. The golem doesn't have an enormous amount of AR and his attack speed is not really worth noting with just one attack per second. Meanwhile he will get pummelled and you will be taking those 10% damage.

15. batuchka

Yes agree that BG isn't a worthwhile golem to invest in. For AR a slvl 23 enchant from demonlimb could help somewhat (still low cth) but the danger to the necro is still rather dangerous IMO. The fact that other golems have far greater hit points in hell also does not bode well for the BG :(

16. BloodyClaws

BloodyClaws IncGamers Member

I agree that the blood golem is not a good choice for reasons already stated about life pool sharing issue. What I want to know is if you were to go with one, why would you want to use amplify damage over iron maiden. I figure it is much more likley that bg will have his salad tossed by a pack of physical melee based enemies than getting in hits. A least with iron maiden when he is struck by a physical melee attack it is counted as an attack made by the golem. Thus a lot less/no damage done to the necro, maybe it might even heal your necro. Maybe I am missing something somewhere.

Personally I think that Clay golem is the best choice.

17. Myrakh-2

IIRC this was considered a bug and has been fixed with 1.10.

18. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You recalled correctly. They removed this bug. Why they would do it is odd since it has been around for almost forever.

19. BloodyClaws

BloodyClaws IncGamers Member

I see now, I had no idea that it was a bug or that they had removed it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have not used a blood golem since the game first came out years ago, I just remembered that Iron maiden a bg went hand in hand against melee enemies.

20. Underdawg

Underdawg IncGamers Member

Who's Gumby? :uhhuh: