Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Goldfind Barb? *screams*

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by FistOfFury, Nov 19, 2006.

1. FistOfFury

FistOfFury IncGamers Member

Goldfind Barb? *screams*

:banghead:

lol

What the scream and smiley represent is my confusion/frustration, haha. I'm re-starting D2 from scratch, yet again (lost a decent sorc MFer, sorc GFer, and Hunger Bear, thank you bnet expiration, lol). So, the only character I have now is a level 3 barb and was wondering two things.

First, should I bother making him into a GFer at this stage of my account life, because is it something that's easy to start with or should I wait till I get better wealth? I'd really just rather start now, because I'm kinda burned out when it comes to MF sorces (been there, done that x50).

Second, I've looked through some gold find threads (there seems to be a lot, this one dude keeps posting links to them, lol he's prob reading this now, haha hello :wave:) but that's just the thing, the more info there is to read through, the more I get confused, lol. I'm undecided as to what skills to use. I think the two major styles seem to be a frenzy barb, or a whirlwind barb. What about bezerk? And is there really ONE superior build for goldfinding (and why is it) or is it just a matter of pros and cons/preference (and what are the pros/cons for those three skill sets)? That is what I'm confused about.

The main area seems to be Travincal council NM I think. I know I'm gonna put at least 6-8 in find item, and then wait till I get closer to my 'final' gear to see how that works out and whether I should max it.

Also...which weapons? I think maybe if I can get my hands on Ali Babas, or maybe Lem socketed swordsx2 in the future, but what about on weapon switch for the main damage dealing? I guess answering this you have to know which skill set you're gonna be using, so you see my confusion...

Thanks in advance...

2. Magical Trevor

Magical Trevor IncGamers Member

I wreckon Double swing and WW are the best for a Barby and swords are good because they are fast or a maul is good

3. -Tempus-

-Tempus- IncGamers Member

you dont have any items for the barb to use at high levs and you only want to run NM high council?

pickup a might merc, give him a Crown of Thieves, wealth/goldskin, high dmg pole.

for the barb you can do a few different builds that you can get all the items with just a few p gems.

make a warcry barb that will stun the high C while the barb kills them or make a ww barb (takes few points and lets you max FI)

for the ww barb using the uniq eth edge axe or IK maul + the set gloves LoH can do a ton of dmg.

if you know what end game weapon you will have (some runeword or uniq) then just get your str/dex to use the weapon and put the rest into vit.
    max the mastery
    max ww
    max BO
    max FI
    rest can go into NR, zerk, warcry

also if you want to run hell cows then a sorc, jav amz or even a necro can do a good job there. but a barb with max FI running nm or hell high council will always get the most gold.

-Tempus-

4. DeathSpawn

DeathSpawn IncGamers Member

i just finished making my a gold find barb. i only run travincal in nightmare. my merc is a might merc with a bonehew, a high defense armor and a circlet with res and ll. i get more then 100000 gold each run. i maxed BO, natural res and the aura that gives extra def. i use the auras on my merc but after awhile i find out he didnt need them to stay alive :cry: which means i wasted points in maxing warcrys.
    if you're only going to do travi runs in nm then use 2 alibabas, max natural resistance, sword mastery, frenzy, double swing and find item

5. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Hah, I always like discussion about Goldfind barbarians, as mine is a LOT different from any of them.

It's actually an old PvP wolfbarb.

He uses this kind of gear:
    Azure Wrath
    Wolfhowl
    Stormshield
    Enigma
    Arachnid's
    2* Carrion Winds
    Highlord's
    Laying of Hands
    Goreriders
    2* Ali babas socketed with GF jewels

As for charms, he has a torch, a gheed's and the rest is gf charms or warcry charms or +life/ar ones or plain +life.

He has 4980ish life, he is lvl 86. He has 67%ish blocking (due to no ravens) with Stormshield. His resistances in Hell are 75/67/67/75, and he does very fine.

The few bad things about him, well:
    He is not so fast in the killing (but it does not take ages either)
    He does not get so much of gold per run (but that's mainly due to crappy horking weapons)
    He cannot use a merc, because the mercenary dies constantly and depends totally on Life Tap

Just today did I get him the upgrades of Ral'ing his helm (so that I could use Goreririders), took the goreriders in use, Found LoH from Travi and use those now. The next things I plan to do are either get him an Atma (which would double his damage, thus speeding up the runs by quite a lot) and getting him 12 Lems, as I already have a crystal sword and a phase blade with 6 empty sockets.

Once I get those, I can pretty much gear him totally with Mastery skillers and ar/life GCs/LCs (I have 3 GCs, 1 LC and lots of Mastery Skillers). I also have to mule an Edge to him so that I can keep on gambling.

As for which of the GF builds is best, it depends on what you want to do. A warcry based horker will have a huge amount of gold in a short time, but depends totally on your mercenary (which means you will have to load him with expensive stuff). Then there's the melee type. You will most likely be faster than the warcrier, but you will also get less gold. However, you will then have something to do.

My build is mostly geared with spare items. The only items that I actually traded for him was the Azure, and even that I needed anyways, because I use it on my U-Trist/Key runner Zealot and the Wolfbarb. And yes, even the Enigma was just a spare item I got.

A few things that you need to make sure:

1. You need to have a decently high life (4-5k)
    2. You NEED to have 75% fire resistances
    3. You NEED to either have Life Tap or high Life Leech on an offensive one (aka a Frenzier or WWer or Wolf).

Also, for bonuses, if you can, do not use Dracul's on the melee'ers, but rather Laying of Hands. As for amulet, Atma's is better than Highlord's, because Atma's doubles your damage (which is the same as though you had 100% DS), whereas Highlord's only multiplies it by ~1.3. Also, if you can, pack some CB and DS along with Atma's to make sure you can kill. For a non-wolf, I would suggest using Guillaume's Face and Goreriders. This nets you 50% CB and 30% DS, giving you an effective total increase of 144.7% in damage with Atma's. That's a lot of added damage. Now, if you factor in the +350% damage to demons from LoH, you end up with a super fast killer even with a Wolf.

6. FistOfFury

Thanks for the posts

Yes, I don't have any items for high levels...BUT I did not say that I _only_ want to run NM high council. I meant that it just seems that it is the most popular place because it is what people keep mentioning throughout gold find forum topics, so I will try it out. Hell high council is currently closed off to me since I'm low level and don't have any hell viable gear, BUT I may try the area in the future if the gold seems worth it and if I ever get good enough gear. If that ever happens I may decide to make another gold find barb to try out different things, not sure though.

I'm thinking maybe (the ones in bold are the ones I'm sure about/no doubt):
    20 WW
    20 BO
    20 war cry
    10 bezerk
    10 mastery
    15 FI

Might merc I already thought of. Is there any enemies that war cry does not work on? The end bosses probably, but not sure about others. This won't leave me any room for shout, which will be interesting because I've always leveled it to a high level or maxed in the past. I'm still undecided as to which main weapon lol, all I know is that I want something that has decent range (at least 3), decent damage, but which is fast enough to reach a decent frames breakpoint, because slow is boring lol. Which weapon would fit the bill? It would be easier if blizzard changed the masteries to one for long range (spears/polearms/throw) and one for close melee (sword/axe/mace). Maybe I should just put 1 point in it and use the rest of the points for maxing out other skills/1 point wonders, would that be good idea?

7. TehJefe

TehJefe IncGamers Member

I wish I had seen this thread before I committed to frenzy for my barb. Im starting to find that its taking up way too many points.... Id just never made a frenzy barb before and really wanted to give it a try.. oh well.
    What Im wondering now though is if I should up my alibabas or not. Its my impression that if I 2xshael the one in my right hand and 2xLem the other, Ill have good attack speed since Frenzy only calculates speed using Right Hand weapon (is this even true, or does the calculator I used just suck)
    What do you think is that gonna give me good enough damage or should I just solely rely on my merc? I do have bonehew somewhere, Im pretty sure.
    My skills look like: (Im only level 60)
    20 sword Mastery
    20 Frenzy
    20 Double Swing
    and then 1 in shout, BO, Nat Res and Iron Skin

Please advise!

8. TehJefe

TehJefe IncGamers Member

Well... I did some more research... maybe I should just spend my Lums and Puls on going dual oath instead?
    Atleast that way I can salvage my build.
    And then from there Ill try to max item find... I guess. Keep those alibabas on switch.

9. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

That's the strangest goldfind barb I've ever seen :grin:. According to this list, you should have a wooping ~400% extra gold on this character.

To be truly efficient, a goldfind barb must be a highly specialized character, and as such he must be carefully planned from the start, in order to optimize this goal. For example, my goldfind barb has more than 3000% extra gold and can drop up to 1.5M in Hell Travincal in a few minutes :rolleyes:. I've been asked for a guide several times, but I didn't have the time to write it yet :wink:...

10. Dyrad

Dyrad IncGamers Member

I just finnished my goldfind barb.
    My barb can't kill anything, it's only my merc killing.

Skills:
    Max Shout
    Max Find Item
    Max Battle Orders
    1 on Battle Command
    and the rest on Battle Cry and NR

EQ:
    IK helm "Lem Lem"
    2 x ali "Lem Lem"
    Enigma dusk
    2 x Dwarfstar
    Chance guards.
    Goldwrap
    Infernostride boots
    Amu right now is Nokozan Relic to get alot of Fireres.
    And gheeds and some extra gold charms.

And ofc a Egde bow for gambling.

My Merc act 2 might:
    Eth Delierium
    Eth Forty
    Eth Botd Ghostspear.

I have done some runns with it in hell travi and it works realy well.

11. Frosty_The_Snowman

If your Barbarian doesn't kill anything at all, you can boost your equipment by wearing :

- LEM'ed Crown of Thieves : 150%
    - Dual LEM'ed Crystal Swords : 450% + 450%
    - Wealth Armor : 300%
    - Rare Boots : 80%
    - Rare Amulet : 80% (No need Nokozan against Fire, you already have Dwarfs + CoT)

My merc does all the killing job with an eBotD War Pike, and he's wearing an ethereal CoT and eBugged Wealth for even more gold :grin: ! Fortitude for your merc is a bad idea, because the chilling armor can shatter the monsters, and thus you won't be able to hork them. Every source of cold damage must be banned from a good goldfind build :wink:.

12. Dyrad

Dyrad IncGamers Member

I have been thinking of haveing CoT but it's realy nice with some plus skills and mf on the hem so i don't gain so much i have 137% extra gold right now on my helm.
    Duel crystal sword is something i'm working on right now, and i want to see who much the mf from the ali is doing.
    After playing some enigma is realy realy nice to have, you can get your merc where you want him, and get him out of trubbel easy.
    and boots i haven't got anything else right now, but when i find some good % boots i will try then.

On the merc, i will mabye change to eth cot, but i think i will stick to forty until he get some more lvl's and hes kills good now. I haven't notice so much that the chilling.

Thanks for the feedback i will change around and see what happends.

13. Frosty_The_Snowman

I know what you mean, these items (Enigma, Forti, IK helm) definitely bring some comfort to your character. I'm only listing the top-end gear for hardcore goldfinders. What's more, my char and my merc are level 94, so they probably don't need more skills/damage and can go with this ultimate gear more easily :wink:.

14. Dyrad

Dyrad IncGamers Member

Me and my merc is 79 now =) ,
    I will start working on a new merc gear now, and get us up to leavel so we can find more GOLD GOLD GOOOOOOOOLD

15. -Tempus-

FistOfFury:
    i dont think going with 10 points in warcry is a very good idea. lev 1 can do the job of holding the council members in place while your merc kills them, since you can recast it again even without any fcr items.

high lev zerk is nice if you happen to have a good weapon to use but you could also max shout since that also gives zerk more dmg.

i also think max NR is a very bad idea since you can get resist from boots/belts/amulet, CoT and gf/resist charms. those points could be used to max FI skill where you will get more gold.

the main reason why i dont like frenzy for goldfind barbs is it takes too many points to get good dmg. going with less points only seems to work if you have 2 godly weapons.

my main goldfind barb (uswest SC NL) is lev 99 sword barb with a might merc that can get +3600%gf with max to all in hell. he is sword bc of the leech i get from it (both LL and ML) but he is setup something like this
    max mastery
    max ww
    max bo
    max FI
    ~6 NR
    ~2 warcry (cant recall without looking)
    rest zerk
    when i run hell i use taunt to pull them to my merc then i use warcry to hold them. i'll cast battlecry when they are in range then go back to warcry. i'll switch weapons to kill any phy imms them FI all the dead. it works well for me without using a load of high lev runeword items.

-tempus-

16. FistOfFury

Tempus, I already put 1 point in howl and taunt before I thought of the same thing about warcry :( and then I read something about that the war cry stun length is too short. I don't plan on let me merc kill for me though... Now I don't know if I should use those points i was gonna put in war cry for battle cry instead, or if I should remake..

17. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

And that's why I'm looking for 12 lems. To get those blades so that I can have over 1000% gold find. Plus I mainly use this character when I'm bored anyways, so..

I know this. 3000% Goldfind, that's impressive. I take it you are using gf scs, and lem blades of course.

Oh, you mentioned a Lem'd Crown of Thieves. Couldn't you also use a double lem'ed IK helm? 13% less GF, but +2 warcries.

18. Frosty_The_Snowman

Here's a copy/paste of a part of my Goldfinder's Excel file. It should answer these questions :wink: :

Code:
    [B]Main Items	Item Name			%Gold[/B]
    Helm		Crown of Thieves Lem		150
    Amulet		Rare/Crafted Amulet		80
    Weapon1		Crystal Sword 6*Lem		450
    Armor		Wealth Elite Armor		300
    Weapon2		Crystal Sword 6*Lem		450
    Gloves		Chance Guards			200
    Ring1		Dwarf Star			100
    Belt		Upgraded Goldwrap		80
    Ring2		Dwarf Star			100
    Boots		Rare/Crafted Boots		80
    SC		10 * Gold			100
    GC		Gheed's Fortune			160
    GC		9 * Gold			360
    TOTAL						2610

[B]Merc. Items	Item name			%Gold[/B]
    Helm		Eth. Crown of Thieves Lem	150
    Armor		Wealth Eth. Elite Armor		300
    Weapon		Eth. BotD War Pike		0
    TOTAL						[HIGHLIGHT]3060[/HIGHLIGHT]
    Remember that the Merc does the killing, so his Goldfind is added to mine.

19. Dyrad

Dyrad IncGamers Member

Nice, now i have something to aim for. thanks

20. -Tempus-

well you need 1 point in howl if you want bo/shout/command and i've never gone wrong with adding 1 point to taunt.

if you arent going to use the merc to get the last hit on the kills then you dont need warcry but you could still add a point to battlecry.

but for the stun length of warcry works just fine for me at lev 1-2 since all the barb is doing is casting that while the merc gets the kill.

i dont see why you need to remake the barb. lev 1 battlecry is all you need most of the time. the points you save could be saved for zerk or NR or FI

with a CoT, Infernostride, 2 dwarfstar rings and a few resist/goldfind charms you shouldnt need that many points into NR.

some other helms that work for GF
    lem'd tarn helm
    lem'd shako
    lem'd arreats
    2 lem'd IK helm
    2 lem'd barb helm
    3 lem'd barb helm with +skills
    2-3 lem'd circlet of greed (280%max) could also have +skills

-Tempus-