Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Goldfind Barb Question

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Standard Legal Tender, May 31, 2005.

1. Standard Legal Tender

Standard Legal Tender Banned

Goldfind Barb Question

So 2 hours ago I bought this martel:

283(all ed)
    3xdura(180dura)
    3-6 fire damage
    1 mana after each kill
    138 Ar

It seems like a waste to just make another speeder so im going to make a Goldfind barb.

Items:

Gskin
    Tarn
    Chancies
    Ml LL/Dual Resis/30-40 Gf rings
    Goldwrap
    +1 priz 72 Gf Ammy
    30frw Dual 30+ resis 70 gf boots 15 mf

-this adds up to quite a bit of Gf..basic Gf setup

Skills:
    20wep mast
    20WW
    20BO
    1 BC
    1Speed(Not neccesary but i like barbs when they walk fast..looks like thier on tippy toes).
    10 Nat resis-Seems like the only way ill get max resis with all the Gf gear
    1Zerk-Phy Munies

Lastly here is my question:
    How much into Find Item?
    1 point with 3 + skills=24% chance i think.
    This skill greatly reduces after lvl 11 to 0-1% chance per point into it.
    I was thinking either leaving it at 1 or getting it up to 8(11)-44%chance with skills.
    I would prefer to have it at one so when i get bored of Gf i could use it as a PvP speeder, but I would appreciate others thoughts first.

2. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

It's a matter of opinion. If you plan on making a speeder put one or none. I have a lvl 10 on mf MF barb and I am afraid to say it goes awaste. I just rather kill then switch to mf and then body pop them.

3. Standard Legal Tender

What I mean't was the % of popping,24-44. Is an extra 20% chance of popping worth the 7 skills it requires? Does it really matter that much?
    But what i think your saying is it's better to go with 1 point and +3 skills in gear..correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

4. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

I'm saying I had it on my MF barb and really never used it. So if you want points into it go with 1 point because I find that I don't use it that much because It seams better to kill pick up and go on with the next run.

5. magnet

magnet IncGamers Member

i'd definately put at least 5 in speed, the monsters in trav are fast.

and your also forgetting something....

in all goldfind gear, where will you get attack rating?

even if you have the required resists and alot of life, its hard to kill hell trav in full games without AR. my martel gf barb has about 130 base dex [with items i think his AR is just under 5k. this leaves him with about 2.3k life w/ bo. this is not a problem though with a good amount of life leech [i think im leeching 19% life].

6. Standard Legal Tender

Cody, when you Gf do you find item find usefull, worth a point? Thing is.. if I added that much dex it definetly wouldn't be a viable dueler..

7. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

personally I wouldn't want to try to make a cross gf/dueler
    I think that item find is completly worth it. it seems there's some sort of glitch in lag that gives you a chance pop the same body more than once. so the chance of popping is even higher than it says.

it takes longer to kill the monsters than to pop them all so it's a great time saver.

8. Standard Legal Tender

Yes I think I've decided on the following:

10 NAt Res
    6(9 with + skills) Speed
    1 Item Find

170 str-in case i find a sexy ornate.
    Base en dex
    Rest Vit

Wish me Luck! :D

9. -Tempus-

-Tempus- IncGamers Member

well its too bad you went that way since a goldfind/mf barb will get most of thier drops using the FI skill. i always max the FI skill on my gf and mf barbs, its well worth the points.

you can add 200% more gf if you use 2 of the uniq greatswords when you use the FI skill on the dead (too bad no weapon switch in d2c)

where 80% gf is the max on boots/belt/amulet in 1.10 you can look for pre lod items with upto 120%gf. you can make a setup of ~1000%gf that way. you can also keep 2 gulls + trans plate/amulet on the barb, that way you can mf or gf with him.

the mace you found is very good but if you can find one with lower dmg, very high AR leech it would workout better for mf/gf build. that way you can keep your base str very low and add a lot more to vit. using a good bonesnap may also work very well for this since the crushing blow is going to help you vs the high council (were you get the most gold)

my normal gf/mf setup is still the same for D2C, LOD, sc, hc
    max mastery
    max bo
    max attack (ww or conc)
    max FI
    1-5 NR (depends on items)
    no points in r/w or stamina
    1 zerk
    1 command
    1 taunt
    with the rest of the points going into zerk or shout.
    if in LOD or using conc/zerk i'll add 1 point to battlecry, warcry. thats because i use a merc for last hit and the cries help control the monsters.

if you have 2 computers then using an enchant sorc is a great way to get AR and fire dmg.

as i was said before the FI skill is where you get most of your gold. this is an old post of mine where i list how much gold i got off some LOD hell high councils runs. the %gf is higher in lod but that doesnt matter, it just shows how much more gold drops from the first kill vs using the FI skill.

Hell Hell high council run
    1st # best gold drop
    2nd # total gold from first kills
    3rd # total gold after FI
    4th # gold from items

120k n/a 431k +220k
    110k 212k 621k +220k
    85k 350k 633k +130k
    108k 230k 494k +232k
    97k 123k 592k +179k
    116k 450k 633k +120k
    129k 477k 672k +208k
    92k 112k 218k +107k
    94k 128k 517k +217k
    124k 386k 827k +98k
    total: 5.638 mill +1.731 from drops
    avg: ~740k

as you can see if you look at #2 and #3 i often get 2x the gold using the FI skill. since my merc got the killing blow for the first drop (my gf + his) the total % of gf was much higher then when i used the FI skill, but i still got more gold while using the FI skill.

if you like i can do the same thing for D2C.

-Tempus-

10. Standard Legal Tender

o,O so is the extra 30% popping chance really worth 19 skill points? I don't really mind putting them in but i hate remaking cause I'm super lazy...Some experienced Goldfind barbs told me to max and others told me not to max so I'm a little confused...

11. WNxZerker

WNxZerker IncGamers Member

you wont be able to add goldfind to your merc in classic and you will have to use a caster merc in act3, you also will have to re-hire every time he dies so better off not using one else you will spend all your gold on hiring mercs.

Zerker

as for max FI its up to you, if you think 30% more chance is worth 19 points and you dont need them for bo/second killing skill (conc/zerk) then why the heck not.

Zerker

12. Standard Legal Tender

Hmm I might take it up to 8(11 with skills), yeh I guess that can't hurt :p more just seems like a waste though.

13. magnet

magnet IncGamers Member

i think i put 10 in FI. totally worth it. its the whole reason to make goldfind barb, as opposed to say a goldfind din or something.. no real need to max it though...

as im sure you know mike, i use my goldfinder alot. and i've helped alot of people get gf barbs up and running. find me in-game, and we can talk. also i have some gear sitting around that may be better than what you've got now [rings/belts].

[EDIT]: and as far trying to make him a goldfinder and a viable dueler...just toss that idea out the window man. let him be what he is. a cash cow.

14. -Tempus-

-Tempus- IncGamers Member

Standard Legal Tender: do a search here, or at the LL or at the AB on goldfind. i've been doing goldfind chars long before LOD ever came out when you use to gamble for all the uniqs and killer rares. i've made many mf/gf barbs and also have gf chars in other classes, a barb with max FI works out the best out of all of them.

the point of max FI skill is to have every monster will have a higher then 50% chace for a 2nd full drop. with Bcommand + tarn + 1barb/greed amulet you can get that upto lev 23 (24 if you can get a +2 gf amulet)

running the high council with a good FI barb can more then dbl the gold you get vs a barb with a low lev FI skill. but since this is D2C you cant get the kind of gold drops you can in LOD (+130k single piles of gold) so going with a nice lev MF/greed setup works even better. if you dont have room for the 2 greatswords then using the 2 gulls is a good way to get more blue/rares to sell for cash.

here are some of my mf/gf chars
    99 LOD sword barb +3600% greed (3990% is max)
    98 LOD pole barb +1240% mf
    90 LOD hc sword barb mf/gf
    86 D2C pole barb mf/gf 420%mf or 984%gf
    86 D2C mace barb
    81 LOD sword barb
    80 lance barb
    2 jav greed amz
    2 greed sorc
    1 greed nerco (that i never seem to lev)
    2 mf necros
    3 mf sorcs

the 99,98,90,86,81 barbs all have max FI skill the 86 mf mace barb, 80 lance barb are very lod chars that i didnt max the FI skill so i dont use them as much unless i'm going oldschool and just go off and kill stuff.

on all my other barbs that arent used to mf/gf with i dont put any points in that line of skills. i've found its well worth it to max the FI skill, even in LOD where you can use more +skill items.

-Tempus-

15. Standard Legal Tender

Yeah I'm still looking for a Gf ring and Gf boots, although I thought Goldwrap for belt was quite fitting. I'll see you on today cody :) .
    As for maxing Item Find, I'll first get it to lvl 11 with + skills, if it doesn't work as well as to my expectations, I will just end up maxing it, since I do expect to take this barb to at least **.

16. magnet

magnet IncGamers Member

goldwrap is ok if you really care about the mf. but you can get the same 80 gf from a rare belt, and trade the mf in for 24fhr str/life and resists.

17. Standard Legal Tender

Didn't see you on today, I have basically all my gear but the rings...you have any on mules that i could trade off you? :D